Bendersville, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Bendersville Camping Reviews
Excellent Place

My kids never stopped running! We will be back.

Nice hiking opportunities!

Ranger Review: Firebiner and Fiber Light Fire Starter at Greenbrier State Park

Campground Review:

We were here one week before this campground closed for the season (open April through October) and it was so quiet that it was hard to imagine what it is like in the summer when the beach is open and the campground is likely full. There are four loops; two with no hookups and no pets allowed, one with no hookups that allow pets and one with electric sites that allow pets. Each site is clearly defined, and the sites all appeared level with gravel pads. The bathrooms were reasonable. There are several trails in the campground plus it is close to several AT day hikes.

There is a large day-use area and beach with lots of picnic tables. While the beach was closed for swimming, we saw a kayaker and two people fishing from a boat. Many hiking trails and this is an excellent place to camp if you’d like to do AT day hikes.

-------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I have the opportunity to test products. At this campground, we tested the Firebiner and Fiber Light Fire Starter by Outdoor Elements. I’m reviewing both products since they can be used together, and we had much more luck with one than the other.

Upon unpacking my box from Outdoor Elements, my first experience was that it took a sharp knife to free the Firebiner from its cardboard backing, which was not an auspicious start. Once at our campground, we were able to use the safety blade to easily open the plastic packaging on our firewood. Unfortunately, it took several tries by two men trying the Firebiner to get a spark; they had to really crank on it, and it was not enough to light a fire. I’m guessing that with more patience and practice, it would have worked. Admittedly, we are car campers and not backpackers (and have the luxury of being able to carry/use a butane lighter), but I was looking forward to trying a new method.

We did use the Fiber Light Fire Starter and using our tried and true fire-starting methods, we got a roaring fire started very quickly. So, we had a 50% success! Packed in a small tin, you only need a pinch to easily get a fire started so we will use this in the future.

We also used the cutting tool on the Firebiner a few days later to remove the wristband from an activity we participated in and also used it to hang our lantern on a hook; this little tool is very strong (did not test but appreciate the 100-pound weight limit). I appreciate that it can also be used as a screwdriver, so the Firebiner is truly a multi-use tool!

Nice, but expensive

It was a nice place to stay for kids, lots to do for them. But very expensive for tent camping. I still paid nearly 100 a night.

Amazing campgrounds!

Everything was on point here! The staff run the place like a resort or a cruise ship. So many activities for kids and adults and a huge family atmosphere with staff and campers! Tent site near the lake is HUGE

Something for everyone!

We love this campground!! The area is absolutely beautiful. The lake is large and gorgeous. There are a lot of lake side campsites which are amazing. The hosts are all very friendly. We had a problem with our site and our weekend was saved thanks to the wonderful rangers. We are so thankful. My one and only reason for 4 out of 5 stars are the bathhouses. I wish they would update like Cowan's Gap. I have health issues and am always afraid I'll fall because the floors are so wet. Otherwise, they are kept cleaned up. Honestly, one of my favorite places to visit and we camp at as lot of parks. I hope they'll add more cottages too! There are lots of nice basic (non-electric) sites that are wooded, well shaded and private. There are nice, shaded electric sites. However, if you request electric and water you automatically get sewer too. This raises the price per site, per night by$13 and gives you a site with very little shade. We will return but we will choose an electric only site and fill our A-frame's water tank in order to get a wooded site. This campground is 100% reservable which means that you must select a site when you make your reservation. If you do not live in the area, that is difficult

Loved it!!

We camped at Codorus State Park for the first time a few years ago while out east. We really love this Campground! There is a wide variety of sites so finding one that you like should not be difficult, there are some in wide-open park-like settings, and some that are treed. For the most part we didn't notice any that really seem to be right on top of each other, but we think the site we got was the best one in the park. We were in 132, which was huge and had nice open flat areas for the tent, there were actually three spots that we could have put it on, and lots of trees to hang our hammocks and options for our tarps, but there was no chance of rain at all that weekend so we did not hang tarps. Those trees were bare however until very far up, so they did not afford any privacy, but we definitely were not on top of the people next door anyway so it was just how we like it. There is some hiking, not strenuous climbing mountains hiking, mostly easy, and the lake was the biggest attraction for me. Campground bath houses were very clean, nice hot showers with great showerhead that stayed on without pushing a button. Our site was close to the bath, a trail head, and field where we lay in the sun and played frisbee. We are definitely going back!

A must stay!

Beautiful campgrounds situated near a creek. The campgrounds have a homey feel and were decorated nicely for fall & Halloween. The staff & hosts were incredibly nice & helpful. The restrooms & showers were the cleanest I've seen. The sites were very nice and equipped with an upgraded firepit with a swivel grill for cooking instead of the standard ring or rocks. I only stayed one night due to traveling through but would love to go back & stay again

Terrible

The most crowded uncomfortable campsites I have ever seen.

Overall, good experience

This campground offers spacious sites and a pretty convenient location on the cheap. I stayed here Saturday into Sunday and reserved my site ahead of time. Google maps street view has images of the campground, use this if you want to see what sites look like ahead of time - it is a bit overgrown on the riverside today. I’ve seen reviews mentioning squatters… I didn’t notice anyone but then again, I arrived early and set up camp. I can see how some might show up and not realize a site is booked in advance. There’s little privacy between sites but most are far enough apart. Portable bathrooms were clean. Downtown Williamsport is 20 minutes away. C&O trail is steps away. Lots of families with kids but everyone settled down around 11. Fire ring and picnic table at each site. I packed water so didn’t see if the pump was working. The train does go through twice overnight and it is loud but still got a decent night of sleep.

Excellent Campground

We have been here tenting twice, once last year and once this summer. They have upgraded the tent sites since last year, no more primitive sites, all the tent sites are now mulch pad with water and electric. Bathrooms are very clean and modern, but a decent walk from tent sites. The facilities are all lovely, staff in the camp store are kind and helpful. The snack bar is very convenient, breakfasts on the weekends in the summer. Close to lots of great activities and there is lots to do at the campground as well. Highly recommend.

Great Campground

Great campground. Lots of sites. Friendly and accommodating staff. Great location for activities including Hershey Park, Hershey Chocolate factory, Hershey RV show.

Pleasant, woodsy Campground

We stayed two nights in site #6. The site was easy to back into, plenty long enough and relatively level. We filled our water tank on the way in and used the convenient dump station on the way out. Cell signal is spotty to non existent. There are plenty of trails in the park and two lakes to swim in. We enjoyed our stay.

Going back for sure

18 was a very private spot with a trail leaving from the back of the spot. Has a pretty lake with trails around it. In season has concession stand and paddle boat rentals. We went off season, but saw the potential. People were fishing and we saw a swim/run competition. Bathrooms were weren’t the cleanest, but had good pressure and hot water. Campground sells firewood at the entrance, which is too far to walk, so buy it on the way in. Sprint and Verizon cell service. Pack your broom because the sites have very small gravel and it gets EVERYWHERE. We stayed in May and actually had to turn on the heater. Lots of trees for dog run or hammocks. Will definitely be returning

Great for a state park

I stay here for my first camp out with my new camper. No water but the bath house was close and very clean.

Wonderful!

This State Park is easy to find and in a great location. The AT crosses through the park and it’s not far from the amenities of town. The park is a good size and I liked that the campsites were a bit secluded. The sites themselves were close together but we were there in late August during the week so it was practically empty. The bathroom facilities were some of the nicest and cleanest I’ve ever seen. There was even a paved path through the campsite to the bathroom. There are showers, flush toilets, sinks for hand washing, and sinks outside for dishes. We didn’t use much of the rest of the park but there is a swimming pool and lots of nice areas with picnic tables. We really enjoyed our stay!

One of our favorite

Nice large sites with friendly staff. Lots of free activities for children and it’s close to home

History Buff's,your going to love this place

Mid size park with all amenities, some sites can be tight for bigger rigs.Even has room for your horse.Your surrounded by Civil War history,Downtown Gettysburg is great,great vacation

Amazingly fun campground

Stayed here only 1 night but it was beautiful and comfortable.

Nope. Do not stay here.

We had reserved a site for 6 days. We ended up only staying 36 hours and had the entire reservation refunded. The view from any of my windows was of the long-term resident’s tarped over garbage. We shared 1 water source with 2 other campers. In order to hook anything up, you had to be in your neighbor’s space. The train wreck behind our camper was VERY vocal about how we were entering their site to hook up. Apparently, we were supposed to use the force. The fire pits were crammed under the tree and between the 5ft space to park your vehicle. The fuse at power source blew every time the air turned on. The access roads are so tight/narrow, that there is multiple areas of damaged trees and corners of structures. We woke up to the lovely aroma of dog feces and cigarette smoke (with the windows closed). This is not a place you vacation at. By far, the worst place we have ever stayed.

Awesome little public campground!

The campsites are located along the Potomac River and between the C&O Canal. Flat campsites, Fire rings & pubic well. Very affordable. One can walk to Shepherdstown, WV for some fun. Antietam creek is very close by and is perfect for tubing or just enjoy the river & nature from your campsite!

Very friendly and helpful staff

My family recently spent a long weekend at Pinch Pond. Our campsite was very spacious and the ENTIRE campground was extremely clean and tidy. The office and grounds keeping staff were super friendly and helpful. They have Hershey’s ice cream in the office and my kids enjoyed getting a treat. Their game room has tickets. This is the one and only campground we have ever visited that gave tickets for playing games and my kids LOVED IT! It was like camping and going to chuckie cheese at the same time. If I have one and only complaint it’s the pool, it could use an upgrade and I wish they had actual lounge chairs rather than just plastic chairs to sit. However, unlike most campgrounds, the pool stayed open pretty late so that was a huge bonus for me.

Campground halfway on the AT

We found this park while driving south to Georgia and decided to stay for a night. It was full of trails and it’s the halfway point on the Appalachian Trail so you can hike some of it too! Our campsite was #31 in the Horseshoe Loop (no elec/water) near the bath house that was very clean. There are water spigots located throughout the park though. Friendly campground hosts attend the firewood barn and are willing to help with suggestions for stores and and such. Check in and check out is both 3pm, which allowed us to spend the morning hiking. Cell service is pretty non existent but there is WiFi at the ice cream/general store.

Great family campground!

Lots for kids to do. Camp store has pretty much anything you need! Friendly staff and clean grounds. Overall good campgrounds. Quiet mid-week which was nice too.

Great for little ones

A group of 4 families visited this lovely quiet spot.

Pros: Quiet Lovely little hike for young kids right out of the camp site Close to DC so am easy drive Handicap accessible Lovely little boardwalk to a small creak past a saw mill

Cons: Bathroom was just so-so. I prob wouldn’t want to shower there but - your are camping!

Beautiful Area, Not Crazy About The Lake

I LOVE Catoctin Mountain Park in general!! The trails are well-kept and the scenery remains as natural as possible (I hate it when you go to some parks and it looks forced or man-made).

The Houck area is pretty wide-spread with sites ranging from dispersed walk-in to camping by the lake. There’s pretty much something for everyone.

But, let’s talk about the lake for a sec… Hunting Creek Lake is a 75 acre man-made lake near Cunningham Falls. Ironically, all the streams and creeks in the area couldn’t make a sufficient lake, therefore one was created. It’s labeled as great for boating, kayaking, and fishing. There were even paddle boats available. It’s quite picturesque from the get-go.

But, once we got in, I have to admit I was thoroughly disgusted. I love swimming in natural water features, but this kinda creeped me out. There was all sorts of algae and growth in the water. We would hit pockets and cold and warm water, which felt like you were walking through someone’s urine — there wasn’t much circulation or movement of the water, so it gets stagnant-feeling. Not to mention the abrupt drop-off when you enter into the lake. Nothing natural feeling about this place.

I give the park 5 stars, but the lake only gets 3, if that.

Great resort-style cabin for “glamping!”

Well-appointed, semi-rustic cabins set in Catoctin Mountain. Not far from the Wm. Houck lake area and trailhead to Cunningham Falls.

Our cabin came equipped with A/C and heat, full kitchenette, fireplace, screened in porch, and firepit area (including wood and fire starters!) with seating and picnic table.

Ole Mink Farm is very resort-like with a central pool and clubhouse. They also offer various activities — mainly on weekends — like cornhole tournaments and campfire gatherings.

And I can’t say enough about the customer service!! They take hospitality to whole new levels! We ran into a couple personal snags on our trip, and they were so accommodating. Even when my Mom got sick, they checked in on us and asked about her by name. What a wonderful group of owners!

If you want to “glamp,” I would HIGHLY recommend this place!

Relaxing getaway

Our family enjoys the secluded sites and peaceful atmosphere. Access to many hiking locations.

Clean. Friendly.

Our first time at Dogwood Acres Campground. Was pleasantly surprised as this was just a weekend trip at the end of June to start the season. When booking the dates earlier in the year, I spoke to a woman in the office who was even willing to drive to a few sites and text me photos since we hadn’t been there before making our final selection. Went the extra mile to ensure we would be happy.

Was impressed upon driving into the place. Looked clean and tidy. Good signage. Flat all gravel sites. Clean pool. Pavilion was a nice meeting place. Big pond was pretty. Friendly staff.

Campground was a mix of seasonal and weekenders. Lots of trees. Some made pulling in/backing in a bit challenging.

I’m recommending this campground to our friends to come back together as a group.

This is our “home base”

Love love love this campground. Activities for the kids, diner with a great breakfast selection and subs and pizza for dinner. Very clean facilities. Great staff. Delivery of wood or ice to your site. You can get a site along the creek where you can tube or kayak (they rent them out here)! Close to Antitiem battlefield, vineyards, antiques or even DC (1 hour). At Halloween they have a great haunted house.

Amaaaazing

Great campground and staff! Staff even came and opened up the firewood for me after their 7pm cut off when I called the “emergency” number. Always quiet and peaceful. Third time staying there!