Aldan, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Aldan Camping Reviews
No Camping But Nice For What It Is

There isn’t camping anywhere in the park, at least none that’s sanctioned by the state park service. Not exactly the most secluded park, but has a series of nice walking trails and big open areas and grills for bbq. Gets crowded around the fourth. The waterfront trails are excellent for birding and usually not crowded.

Very nice

Very nice camping. Quiet setting

Beautiful scenery!

It's fine

Nothing bad about this place, I love that it's set far enough away from the main road that you don't get the noise.

Beautiful campground. Clean restrooms, lots of open space!

Beautiful campground. Clean restrooms, lots of open space!

It's fine

Cute campground

Cute campground, nice layout. Not all sites have sewer hookups, oops. Easy to back in.

Convenient location

This campground is conveniently located near six flags (5min), Sesame Place (40 min) and Philadelphia (60 min). Campground has friendly staff and plenty of activities for children of all ages. Play ground, basket ball, beautiful pool and for an extra fee beach access. Now for the down side: it appears that the office and camp store (which offers a lot) has overgrown the facilities. There are many seasonal campsites many have let there sites go with clutter. The campsites themselves could use some TLC but most of all the roads need some work. There are many pot holes that need gravel. Over all will not rule this campground out in the future but will look for other campgrounds first.

Great place

Terrific space for exploring

Too expensive for what you get

By reading the reviews some people love the place while others hated it. We we're somewhere in the middle. My reaction was"meh". We stayed on premium site number 54 from Wednesday until Sunday at a total of$343. At that price, I was expecting MUCH more. The place is very quiet until Friday but noise is no issue to us as we love being in the middle of the action. Most people also respected quiet time. The entire campground is sand and gets very dusty and messy. This was the dirtiest campground we've stayed at, meaning the trailer and truck needed a full bath once we got home. The activities were cute and the pool and splash pad was really the only main attraction. Site was gravel with a small concrete patio and decently sized. All hookups worked as required so no complaints there. Make sure you bring everything you need with you, because this place is literally in the middle of nowhere and a minimum 15 minutes ride to any type of civilization. Don't plan on arriving after dark as there is no type of lighting other than what the other campers have lit up. Overall we had a decent time, but for the price, we've stayed at much nicer places and most likely won't be coming back.

Nice place, tight sites

This is a nice KOA. It's pretty close to Philly, which is why we stay there. The tent sites are pretty close together but it's not too overwhelming. The sites are right along the creek which is nice. Everything was clean and tidy while we were there and the place was packed. The only tiny drawback is the bathroom is kind of far from the sites, up a steep hill. And its on the dark side, especially if there is a new moon. We didn't use any of the activity amenities, but it seemed like there was a lot to do.  All said -it's a nice spot and they keep it very clean.

Nice hiking, family friendly

Nice state park. Tons of campsites. One loop has full hookups. Careful of choosing a site if you have a big rig. The loop has tight turns and some seriously non level sites. Trails are nice and well marked. The pond loop has some amazingly old growth mountain laurels and patches of ghost flowers. The Turkey Point lighthouse hike is popular go early or late to avoid waiting for a parking spot on nice weekends. Swimming and boating on the river are popular activities too.

Phanominal!

Hands down the cleanest, friendliest, most beautiful campground I’ve ever been to. We really enjoyed our trip to yogi bear. We booked another one within 3 weeks that’s how much we couldn’t wait to go back.

Well taken care of, lots to do

Whether it’s the ropes course, hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, or cooking there is always something to do at Lums Pond. This park itself is pretty run of the mill, it’s got some trees and bushes and a water feature.

Too Expensive

The camp sites are very close together. Too Expensive for the small site you have. The owner is not very friendly.

Great park near the water

This was definitely a state park that was worth the trip. We stayed in the elk loop spot 142. It is the only one with electric in that part of the park so we were the only RV. All the loops we visited were quiet, well maintained and offered nice shade. Quite a few spots also offer water views. There are a bunch of nice, well marked trails throughout. Camp hosts were not out and about but were friendly and park rangers stopped by from time to time to make sure everyone was parked according to the rules. Overall a very nice experience, several spots to put in kayaks or paddle boards. Clean bathhouse. Playground for the kids. Will be back.

Pleasant

My husband, friend, and I tent camped here last weekend and we were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Long story short, I spent several days looking for a close-by camp site for us to stay at as it was our first time tent camping. I stumbled upon this campground and reserved a space with electric and water. Upon arrival, the people at the office were friendly. We got to our space (83) and we noticed we were placed right in the middle of a bunch of RVs, which was not what we had envisioned. I took a walk with my dog and saw the primitive sites tucked in the back of the grounds. I immediately went to the office to ask to move to a primitive site and they allowed us to move without any issues. We ended up setting up camp at site 31 - which was spacious enough for two large tents and very private.

Pros: primitive sites are very private, friendly staff, clean grounds.

Cons: only one bathroom and it’s very far from the primitive sites, E/W sites are between RVs.

Was ok

It was small and we felt that our camper was to big for the spot we were in.

Peaceful, secluded campground for all nature lovers

French Creek State Park

Loop C Site 36

Hey everyone! Ranger Jen here with my first camping trip of the season for 2019. We have been having a crazy amount of rain here in Pennsylvania so due to weather related issues we haven’t been able to get out there until now. We absolutely love camping at French Creek for several reasons. The first has to be the sites. As long as you don’t stay right across from the bath houses you will find ample shade at your site. There are so many trees and brush in between most sites you can’t even really see your neighbors. Secondly, the price you pay for what you get is extremely cost effective. It cost us $65 for the weekend plus a $6 service fee for using the Reserve America website. We had electric however no water or sewer hookup. There was a spigot for water at the next site over from us, so we didn’t have to walk far to get fresh water. This is a great place to stay for a family or the outdoor enthusiast as there is so much to do. There is a huge lake where you can rent canoes and kayaks. A huge pool that has a beautiful view overlooking the lake. There are trails for mountain biking or hiking, a frisbee golf course, playground at the campground and at the lake, and an amphitheater at the campground where they hold events and Sunday morning church services. Not to mention close by there is Hopewell National Furnace and St. Peter’s Village with shops and restaurants and hiking trails as well. There are also two lakes, Scotts Run Lake and Hopewell Lake that you can fish, kayak, canoe or just relax by. There are several warm water fish in the lakes including northern pike, chain pickerel, bass, walleye, muskellunge and several types of panfish. If RV or tent camping is not your thing there are also two Yurts and one cabin available for rental as well.

We have stayed at French Creek in the past however, we have never stayed in Loop C before. This is the only loop that allows pets. I expected it to be much noisier than it was. All of the dogs were well behaved, and we didn’t have any problems as we took our walks around the loop. At the bath house there are two sinks for washing dishes and a counter to set them on which is nice. They are deep sinks also with HOT water. I was very disappointed in the cleanliness of the women’s bathroom. Let me just say I went one time and didn’t go back. Luckily, we have a cassette toilet in our camper. Normally, I just use that in the middle of the night but not this time. The campground hosts were nice and helpful however I don’t think they are responsible for cleaning the bathrooms. However, someone should look into having it done ASAP.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time and this weekend I was testing Morsel Sporks. We had two sizes which were the XL and the mini. Upon ordering I was thinking the mini would be a good size for our almost 2 year old and my husband, son and I would use the XL’s. I was surprised at the size of the XL when they arrived in the mail. I was originally thinking how am I going to use this gigantic thing but the more I used it the happier I was with the size.

Pros:

The XL is perfect for getting down to the corner of your bagged meals, scraping the sides of your bowl without the worry of scratching due to the rubber edges which also helps to conform to any hand. I used it to mix my pancake batter. The fork worked great to whisk the eggs and the spoon side was great for getting down into the mix to ensure it was all mixed in. I also made chili and it was great for stirring as you are not to fry with them however you can submerge them in hot water. We also used them to eat our chili. It was funny as my husband was using the spoon side and me the fork side. What do you eat your chili with? Let the great debate begin! P.S. – It was a think chili however I did end up flipping it over at the end to scrape my bowl with the spatula. What was especially nice with the XL was that once I did flip it over to use the other end my hand was able to stay in the same place and not get full of sauce. I can’t stand when I get something on my utensil and then it gets on my fingers. That was always a problem I had with other products like this in the past. The XL is 10.5 inches long and the mini is 7.5 inches long. The mini has been great to travel with for our daughter. She uses it to eat everything from applesauce, hotdogs, mac and cheese, ice cream, Rita’s and yogurt.  It is very lightweight (.6 oz mini, .85 oz XL) yet durable, so she can be rough with it and it holds up. Let’s be real, we all know our kids throw stuff. The material which is plastic is very easy to clean as well and doesn’t get greasy. I even use mine at work. #1 it cuts down on plastic wear in the garbage and #2 because the plastic wear is cheap, and it just bends under the pressure of just trying to eat. Seriously, it bends when I try to eat a salad. There is also a hole, so you can clip it to your pack. Plus, this product is made in the USA and they offer a lifetime guarantee as long as it is under normal conditions. There is also just a spoon/spatula that can be purchased along with a combo of the products. The cost is very reasonable and it is a lifetime guarantee so all the more reason to spend for the quality.

Cons:

I have done some research and have found that some left-handed people have some trouble using the product. Maybe if they angled the bottoms it would help. Also, it would be nice to have the XL handle size with the size of the mini ends. My husband who is a cancer survivor has issues eating due to reconstructive surgery on his jaw. He can only open his mouth so wide. He did okay but after a while it was making his mouth tired to be opening it to get it in his mouth. Maybe if it was a little slimmer it would help. The fork side is really pointy as well so if you have this in your backpack you may want to wrap something around it to ensure you don’t poke a hole in anything you don’t want a hole through. I think it would be cool to have a glow in the dark version of these products as well. There is not a sharp knife so if you are eating meat or something that requires cutting you will most likely need something else. Overall, I was very happy with this product. I will definitely be looking into getting some more.

Thanks for reading and happy camping!

Mary

This place use to be nice but it is under new management now and it is a joke. They dont take care of the place and its getting all run down. You own your lot and put your unit on it. There is a class action lawsuit against them right now. Good place to steer clear of.

Great place to camp

Great place for a weekend getaway. Very well maintained campsites and facilities.

Consistency clean

Have been visiting Washington  Crossing State Park since I was a child.  I always look forward to going because it is consistently clean, great for riding bikes and taking pets for a walk and children for a stroll PLUS it is significant  historically and it is enjoyable for the entire family.  There are some fun, tasty custard stands nearby for a summer treat.

Quiet campground with pool

Overview: nice quiet campground with a variety of campsites and a pretty good camp store.

Site: this review is of the campsite and cabin we stayed in. Most of the campsite options are fairly level, but are very rocky, so this is something to keep in mind if you are tent camping. We have heavy duty solid steel pegs and still had trouble pegging everything down. Some of the cabins were recently added and are super clean inside. The one we stayed in had a set of bunk beds, a queen bed, and a fold out couch. It also had a bathroom with shower /tub and everything you would need except linens.

Bathroom: the bathhouse had individual bathrooms and showers. Each was pretty clean and spacious.

Amenities: Campsite with $5 firewood, coffee and ice cream. Mini golf Fishing pond Pool

PROS: Quiet campground Pool open seasonally Nice staff

CONS: No walking trails

Have stayed here before and will stay here again.

Our usual spot for a quick weekend trip that's close to home.

I have stayed here many times over the years, usually for a long weekend.  Longer trips were spent there with my parents when I was a kid.   I prefer the south shore campsites to the north shore.  The sites on the south shore offer a little more privacy and aren't as crammed.  I'm particularly fond of the dog friendly loop, its a newer loop and the bathrooms are more modern than the others scattered around.

We have also stayed in the camping shelters a few times and a cabin once.    The shelters offer no frills sleeping quarters with two bunks beds, so four beds and closet/pantry on both sides in the rear for food and gear, a wooden table in and pot belly stove for warmth or a one pot meal in the front room.  Bathrooms are in a separate building across the road and are shared with the other shelters occupants.  The exterior includes a fire pit, picnic table and a fire ring for larger meal prep.

The cabins are a two steps above the shelter with a full kitchen and bathroom with shower, but otherwise rustic, with three sets of bunk beds, a wooden table and two Adirondack chairs in front of a fire place.  The screened in porch at the rear of the cabin overlooks the lake and has plenty of room for camp chairs.   There is also a picnic table and a charcoal grill outside.

The beach is home to the cleanest, most wonderful lake I have ever set foot  in.  There are picnic tables and grills scattered all around the beach near the parking lot and it does get crowded in the summer months.  There is also a concession stand open in the summer months, serving light fare -- burgers, dogs, ice cream, soda & chips.

Very spacious

Very spacious and the state park has many things to do like zip lining, hiking, bike riding, fishing, and you can even rent kayaks. It is a nice place also to relax if that’s what your into.

Quiet, peaceful, great trails,

Had a lovely time. Quiet, peaceful, great trails which can be hiked from campground. Pool is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day and it looked crystal clean and huge! Park was very well marked, no question where to go or where we are. Rv spot was level! I would recommend it and will go back!

Great place in the back yard

We do Lums Pond at least twice a year if we can get reservations.

Sites are big and all were redone in the last few years with concrete pads, 30 amp service and full sewer. There are some equestrian and tent sites as well.

Lots of boating (electric motors only) and kayaking on the pond and a decent amount of hiking. There’s an off leash dog park, equestrian center and boat ramp. Book early because it fills up fast!

Love, love, love

From the spotlessly clean grounds to the nice facilities this is a favorite of ours. There are lots of seasonal sites but there also lots of visitors too.

Amenities include a pool that is indoors for the fall/spring and opens to connect with the outdoor pool in the summer season, plus a kids pool that includes a waterfall and a swim up bar (for icees). If you want to hike there’s adjacent game lands for hiking. There are goats. There’s mini golf. There’s a cafe. On weekends there are lots of activities. Lots of friendly staff.

Some trailer sites are narrow but others are not. Yes, there’s a quarry BUT contrary to what someone said they don’t operate 24/7, but do start around 7 or 8 am. The quarry is harder to hear from most the trailer sites.

All in all, our favorite place.

Huge Rv site

The sites are big and spaced far apart. Lots of privacy. Bathhouse new condition. Nice trails.