About Humbug Mountain State Park
Humbug Mountain State Park is located in Oregon
19 Reviews of Humbug Mountain State Park
Magical Little Campground

My favourite campground I stayed at along the Oregon coast. Located at the base of a mountain and right next to a beautiful little beach, the place has a magical isolated feel to it, even though it is next to the highway (the traffic reduces to a trickle at night).

Great location, but watch your step.

Camp Humbug is, surprisingly, at the base of hill. Meaning if you are on a bike or on foot you won't have to climb it to end your day. You'll just have to do it in the morning. The views on the way in are some of the best along the coast. Slate grey sand, rivers weaving out of the hills and large rock formations along the water's edge.

Hiker/Biker Camp is between the first and second loop. The camp itself is long and shaped like the letter "C" if the c had been pancaked a bit. Hiker/Biker is on the hillside of the camp road working its way up. The very first site on the right is where I camped because it was the flattest of the H/B sites. Most were on an incline. There was also a picnic table but I can't be sure there was a fire pit. Most of the sites had a lot of privacy and shade cover. There was a drainage creek running near by, and accessible water not far. The first loop was closer and had new flush bathrooms with outlets and individual showers. There were not any charging stations or storage boxes. I didn't take any photos of that site. More on that later.

The main camp area is nice with an entry loop, and then another larger loop closer to the beach. There is a short trail running along a river out the West end of camp to the beach and ocean. It runs underneath a beautiful bridge that is the Coast HWY above. There isn't a lot of privacy in the RV/Tent sites, and there is a playground for kids and a big field to play in on that West loop. There is also some phone service in the loop closer to the road which isn't the case in most of the surrounding area.

Along the north side of camp is Fern Trail which is an old portion of the original HWY 101 that has decommissioned, and also a connecting piece of the Oregon Coastal Trail. The entrance is just to the side of the camp entry. The trail climbs and drops at a leisurely pace before connecting with the coastal highway about three miles north. If you were riding a bicycle with a hybrid or thicker tire you could traverse it easily which I wish I would have done coming in.

On my way back to camp I saw my first snake of the summer. I do not like snakes. I do not like them at all. And despite spending quite a bit of time in nature I had not seen one in a long time. This one was a bit further away, moving away from me and small. I took a deep breath, held my big walking stick a little tighter and made it past. I survived. I stopped by the park ranger and asked about poisonous snakes in the area but she assured me there wasn't any to really worry, and that seeing snakes was fairly rare in the camp.

I went back out towards the beach to take a breathe, and enjoy the sunset. Then as I was just about underneath the aforementioned bridge another snake, much, much bigger sloughed it's way off the trail just under my foot. I shouted and scared my Wife with whom I was on the phone. The second snake rattled me. I went back to my tent and spent the next 12 hours inside until it was light out, and dry enough out the next morning to pack up and leave. That is why I took no more photos of the camp or its amenities. I saw two more snakes on the road (crushed by cars) on my way out of the camp. That ranger was full of it!

Amenities include:

• Flush toilets and free hot showers
  • Trail access
  • Kids playground and meadow
  • Firewood
  • Beach/Ocean Access

*Pro-Tip: This camp is a great jumping off point to explore the natural areas around you. There is a very, very vertical climb up Humbug Mountain that leaves from just across the camp entrance.

One of the Best!

Oregon does it right! While there are traditional spots for RV and tent camping, the Hike and Bike area was awesome. Each spot is private with a table and fire pit. Showers are included in your fee, the campground is quiet, and there is a nice walk to the beach (dogs are allowed). The campground is well maintained and clean. Very relaxing.

beach access and trails to explore

This is a nice park within walking distance to a little secluded beach! The campground is well kept and has hookups. There are picnic tables available, bathrooms, showers, trails, and a lot of great views. You can hike to the top of humbug mountain which is a good somewhat strenuous hike to the top. The day use area is nice and conveniently right off hwy 101. Humbug Mountain State Park has a lot to offer and is beautiful.

Quiet and quaint beautiful little park

We fell in love with this park! It is such a beautiful little place with a short hike to a secluded beach. We were traveling through during the off peak season and the first loop was the only open area. It was storm season and the down pour of rain was wonderful to fall asleep to. Our next time traveling through, it was a beautiful sunny day. The big grassy areas are perfect for our kiddos to play and the entire park is a fun adventure. One of our favorite places! 💙

Private beach access

Campground on east side of Hwy101, but the lower loop as access under hwy to access the beach, if your in the upper loop you have a 1/2 mile walk to access area. Also the lower loop has access under why 101 to the Humbug Mt trailhead on west side of highway. 24 miles north of Gold Beach, and 6 miles south of Port Orford. Park is nice but our site with hook ups in upper loop was in the sun all day. No Cel or mobile data service.

can have fires and purchase wood there.

1-800-551-6949 www.oregonstateparks.org A must to RSVP, online fee is $8 on top of daily rates

34 electrical sites (5 pull through) $24

56 tent sites with water near by $17

Bike and Hikers have a place to stay here $7 a person.

non-campers just want a shower $2 a person.

Mountain Exploration with Beach Relaxation

This campground is amazing. The sites are roomy and there is a big field in the middle for the kids and adults to play. We had quite a few soccer and football games during our stay. If you go in August there are blackberries along the creek. You can hike the mountain in the morning and see a gorgeous vista of the Oregon coastline. You can travel to the beach and have a bonfire. There are fishing villages nearby where you can purchase a crab net and go crabbing. Get a fishing license to keep it legit. The showers and bathrooms we're clean. The camp host provides educational programs for the kiddos. And there's plenty of water spickets around the campground. If you go during the 4th of July, park on the side of the highway (safely) and see the fireworks off the coast. This is one of our favorite places to camp.

Awesome and cozy

This spot provides an excellent way to stay far enough away from sand to feel like you are not sleeping on the beach, but close enough to splash in the surf.

Humbug

This is a nice park tucked away in the pine trees it is off the beaten path. It is a very enjoyable park with a path to the beach.