Aloha, OREGON
Most Recent Aloha Camping Reviews
Natural

Very primitive campground without flush toilets and simple wells. Campgrounds get a little squished together at times

Really liked this campground

After being on a lengthy trip, it was extremely nice to be in a nice campground that was well established and had showers. Fun trails down the river. Plan to return again some day!

I don’t have a horse

I don’t have a horse but I still stayed here! We were in the area, struggling to find a place to camp. After 7 pm, the campground let us set up camp in an empty equestrian campsite. Unique experience!

Camping checklist

The perfect place to make sure you have everything in order before heading halfway across the state to find out you forgot to pack the new campfire spatula you bought at the end of the year last year! Cabins, hike in tent/hammock sites, RV sites, they have it all! They even provide wheel barrows to haul stuff in to the hike-in sites!

Glamping

Tiny little town gem. Super clean and nice full hookups including cable (I didn’t get mine to work but I’ve never tried before so that’s probably my lack of knowledge) laundry pool table video games swimming pool full bar restaurant that will deliver to your campsite! (I didn’t do it) If you’re going exploring the south side of st helens this is a great place to stay oh and they have cabins you can rent too. I recommend reservations. Cheers

Wouldn’t stay again

Expensive for a non electric slot right on the highway. All the trails surrounding the campsite were closed when we stayed so we were kinda stuck. Hosts were not very kind. Ok if you need to get off the road I guess.

Good for RVs

This is a nice small campground right off the main road. You can see cars go by and see neighboring houses from many camp spots. Might be ok for a stop in between for a night but if you are looking for an away from it all campground this isn’t it. It is clean, has restrooms and showers, small playground and all sites have electric it seems.

Pay an extra $5 transaction fee if you didn’t reserve your spot and you can only stay one night if no reservations.

Beautiful park

A great place to camp with the familyin tents or an rv, groups, rent a cabin or hold an event like a wedding. Bring your horses and ride the trails and stay at the horse camp.

Tent and two RV sites are on the first right turn and there is even a stream to play at. Cabins are the first left turn and each has a cute porch swing. Adirondacks are all over and great for scouts to group camp.

The lower bathroom is old and needs updated. The showers are free but the water just sprays everywhere and you have to keep pushing the button for more water. The upper bathrooms are amazing and worth the walk near the horse camp. The tent loop only has a porta potty but it doesn’t stink.

If you do not reserve your spots you can only stay one night and there is an additional $5 transaction fee to pay on site.

Oh and there is no map at the beginning but if you go to the horse camp there is a full map.

Sprint and Verizon have no signal for sure and no Wi-fi is available.

Lovely place

Lots of cool things to do, bike trail that goes along the river and a really cool play area for the kids plus a great big dog exercise area.

Great small park

Beautiful little park great for a day away or a picnic. Don’t think you can do an overnight here, it’s close to some residences, I haven’t tried but there is parking.

Awesome campground

If your looking for a campground that isn’t over run and up in the mountains this one is for you. Great size sites , 2 sites are reservable others are first come first serve. Great little lake for canoeing or kayaking. Little fishing docs located at several areas around the lake.

Great camping with lots to do

Great camping with lots of things to do at the campground. It can get a bit pricey but if your looking for family fun this is the place to camp. Also close to a great waterfall hike.

Noisy and dusty

While there is no park host, the campgrounds are pretty close to the road. With that, there is plenty of road noise and the trail down to the river goes right through 4 campsites so privacy is minimal.

Awesome Find

Last minute find. Absolutely gorgeous! If you’ve never camped before or still learning this is a great place to get your feet wet both figuratively and literally. Nice little trails throughout and a nearby river. Not far from the city of Portland. Campsites are reservations, but if you like to wing it you can easily find an available site - just find a site# with a green card attached and bring it to the welcome center. Check in is at 2pm and check out by 12pm.

A nice quiet place

It's basically a few tent spots right off the road you can pull up to with your car. No amenities besides a vault toilet and no fee. Nothing fancy, but really beautiful, clean, nice rangers, and not busy at all. Get ready to dodge loads of potholes and deer as you travel up the gravel roads to get here, though

ALSO we had full data and cell service!

Awesome!

The camp hosts maintained the park amazingly well, everything was very very clean. The view over the water was stunning (lots of sail boats!) and far enough out of town to be peaceful, and see the stars. The only downside was how close the spots were to each other. I suppose if we’d come in a group it would have been perfect!

Private spot

Very out there and secluded

Good spot for fishing

Great fishing and biking, the yurts are fun too.

Large TT/Encore Campground

Up at the base of Mt Hood, this large resort style campground (operates by Thousand Trails/Encore) offers various areas for camping. There are full RV hookup sites, tent sites, group tent sites, E/W RV hookups and cabins/yurts throughout. It seems most, of not all, RV sites have room for at least a small tent or more and they do allow that. There also is a few group tent sites that I saw.

As for amenities, the campground has a small store that sells the basics and some RV parts, a deli/restaurant, playground and pool.

There are trails to get to the Salmon River, not difficult by any means.

Being just a dozen miles or so from Government Camp, there are so many things to do when you want to get out of the campground.

It’s open year round, and many folks use Mt Hood Village RV Resort as a basecamp for activities for all seasons.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay, though the limited restroom and showers are oddly placed, with access only by walking the loop. There are no trails to get to them, so if you are at the other end, it’s a small hike. The plus is that the restrooms are clean and well stocked.

Beautiful Forest surrounding small lake

This was a last minute find for us on the 4th of July.  There were a few sites left for us to choose from.  The sites are not numbered but are designated by a rock ringed fire pit. We hammock camp and there are plenty of sites with trees positioned perfectly for hanging the hammocks.  The lake is small but very beautiful.  We did bring our kayaks but didn't launch them.  There is a launching area but it's pretty mucky and there are a lot of downed trees in the water.  I only saw one really great beach area to pull up to but it was already claimed by another small boat.  There are trails all over leading from the campsites to the lake and around it.  We also met other campers that had hiked a trail from Hebo lake to South Lake which was about a 7 mile hike for them.

We will go back and try out South Lake again in the other seasons.

This park is just about a half hour drive from Portland so it’s an easy escape. The outer loop sites are quiet, spacious and wooded. They are also very close to a trailhead to nice hikes and the beach. The recent upgrades to playgrounds are awesome for the kids and the new welcome center makes check in a breeze. The one change that stinks is the firewood. The price went up from $5 to $7 for a smaller bundle that burns faster. In our most recent stay we burned through three bundles in one day/night.

4th of July weekend

Well maintained, had lots of activities to do. Fun for kids and adults. Clean facilities, nice pool. We had a nice week here and would return.

Nice spread out sites

The campsites are spread out and private. There are tent sites, RV sites, and cabins. Quiet lake with two trails around it.

Pretty campground / HORRIBLE experience!

The campground is beautiful, but our experience was HORRIBLE! Oh, and campsites are$20 a night now, and it's quite a ways in, down a very poorly kept, narrow, windy road, followed by gravel road at the end, and no cell service.

Anyway… Every campground on the planet uses a piece of paper with a name and date on it to reserve camp sites, and everyone who has ever camped knows this, except people who camp or host at Nehalem Falls Campground. They don't take reservations, it's first come first served, and it takes a good 30 minutes to get there and back from Manzanita. So we drove all the way there in the morning for the sole purpose of securing a site for the night, picked a site, paid for it, put my proof of purchase in the clip on the site we chose, spoke with Cindy, the camp host both on the way in and on the way out, which was less than 5 minutes between, and even told her which site we had picked and paid for… only to return later to find our site OCCUPIED!!!

The host Cindy said"it's because you didn't leave anything there". Uh yeah I did, I left my PROOF OF PURCHASE!!!!! SO RUDE!

So we picked another site, which we actually ended up liking better than the first, camped, got up the next morning, paid for another night, put proof of purchase on clip AND made a sign out of a paper bag very clearly stating that this was our site for that day through next, put dates, etc in HUGE LETTERS so you could not possibly miss it. Also put a large branch across the front of the camp site entrance with a bright pink bin lid being held up by the branch. We car camp, as in no tent, we sleep in the car, that was literally ALL I HAD that I could"leave behind" while we went to play at the beach, oh except a bag full of magazines for starting a camp fire later.

Got back that night and once again, someone had STOLEN our spot!!!! I asked them if they had my bin lid, they had no idea what I was talking about. So THE HOST STOLE MY BELONGINGS that I had left there very specifically so that others knew it was NOT available!!!! And IN WRITING no less! So we chose yet another spot which was small, loud, surrounded by people& barking dogs, slept-ISH and left early the next morning NEVER TO RETURN AGAIN. SO UNBELIEVABLY RUDE!!! AND THEIVES to boot! We actually cut our entire trip short and went home because there was nowhere else to camp, because they all fill up month's in advance.

I wish the state parks were FCFS so you don't have to plan everything two+ months in advance and have zero option of changing plans.

Great disc golf

Very nice disc golf area. Easy access to Public bathrooms, and dinning. Great park hidden in between woodburn and Hubbard.

Excellent!

Really clean, friendly, and accessible camp site. Offers great RV spots even tho we used the tent spot for one night. Free 24hr access to WiFi, coffee, and bathroom/showers. Definitely recommend!

Ranger Review of the Grub Stick at Domke Farms

Campground Review: Super Cozy Vintage Airstream Near Portland

The first thing that Danielle, the campground host, told us after we'd checked in: "I think you're going to have a super cozy night." And she was right. If there's one word to describe the vintage 1959 airstream, it's cozy. Every little corner, window, and decoration was incredibly beautiful, sweet, and stylish. At check-in, we found a custom piece of artwork that welcomed us, as well as fresh flowers, 'smore fixings, oatmeal toppings, board games, and a guidebook with trailer instructions and local attractions. The pillows and linens were beautiful, and the woodwork (including the folding table) was amazing. Here's a video online I found of the airstream that's very similar to how it looks now:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, we were able to stay at the campground at a great discount to be among the first to try it out and create an honest review, so here's my video of the campground:

Outside there was not only a fire pit and "unlimited" firewood, but also kindling, paper, and a lighter (which I had completely forgotten to bring). There's also a hammock, strings of lights, and a second vintage trailer (called the tater tot) that had just arrived and was being set up for smaller groups. While there's a toilet and sinks in the trailer, there is also another clean, brand new bathroom set up for use only by the campground as well.

Domke Farms is a large family farm equidistant from Boring and Sandy Oregon. Caretakers Danielle and Hy manage a small campground at the farm that stands under an incredible stand of evergreen trees. In addition to the "Cozy Roller" airstream and the smaller vintage teardrop, there are also several tent sites and Danielle and Hy's small home in the same camp circle. Farm dogs wander, and you're near fields of crops and soaring hawks and other birds. This is the second "intentional community" that Danielle and Hy have created (the first is in the mid-west), and you can definitely tell that they've done this before in how thoughtful everything is and in their vision for such a welcoming spot. They also gave us the perfect amount of privacy, with just enough help at check-in and check-out to make our stay pleasant.

Favorite Parts
The airstream itself was my favorite part of the trip. I absolutely adored all the little details and it is a very happy space.

Good to Know

Other than the fire pit, hammock, and a bit of land, there's not a whole lot to do at the campsite, especially for kids who may be used to playgrounds or junior ranger programs. We ended up heading into Sandy and Boring for parks and biking, of which there are plenty.

As mentioned before, there are several super sweet farm dogs who may wander by, including the hosts' huge great dane/lab mix puppy, who can get pretty excited. This can be good or bad, depending on your comfort level with dogs, but also very flexible since any time the hosts left they made sure "Charlie" was in their home and happy.

Overall

All-in-all, we had a lovely time with lovely hosts. I could definitely see this being perfect for a writing or art retreat, or just a relaxing break away from the city.

Product Review of The Grub Stick Intro Kit

Our family won a Grub Stick Intro Kit from the Dyrt and decided to try it out on our recent camping trip to Domke Farms.

One of the best indicators of how we feel about it is that ever since our trial, the Grub Stick has become a standard part of our camping gear. We've even changed the food we bring since cooking over the fire has become so much easier.

Pros

• Well built

• Strong handle doesn't feel like it will fall into the fire when extended

• Love the bag the kit comes in

Good to Know

• 'Smores and other items in the square cage get hot, so can be difficult to remove, especially when sticky like chocolate and marshmallows

• With only one base, everyone is fighting over who gets to use it, so next time we'd probably get at least two

Overall, 4.5 out of 5 stars

The base with the forks has been my favorite addition. The forks are especially solid and useful for larger items such as oversized hot dogs and corn, which would fall off or bend our other cookers. I'm less excited about using the cage for things such as 'smores since they're difficult to remove, but definitely up for trying it out with different items such as Portobello mushrooms in the future, which could work better. Overall, we've been very happy with the Kit and plan to get other accessories and try them out. It's been a fun addition to our camping cook-outs.

Pretty but not for light sleepers

Great hookups, clean, pretty views. Kind camp host. Trains are only 20 yds away though and go by all through the night. If you’re a light sleeper I do not recommend this campground.

Absolutely THE BEST

Amazing place! Tons to do for the entire family! The best owner operated place in Oregon! You need to go check out everything they offer. Zip lines were a blast for our family.

Nice RV park with amenities

This was a pleasant surprise for us. The positives outweigh the couple of minor things, so we gave it 5/5.

Positives:

• Walkway to Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum. Clearly marked and paved for easy stroll over to the museum.

- Pool on-site, but no hot tub. I did use the pool, but for someone like me who has extremely fair skin, only in the last hour of pool time, 8-9 p.m.)

- Spaces are long enough for big rigs, as long as you get the 65 foot sites. They have two sizes: 50 foot and 65 foot. I'd recommend the 65 foot sites for a big rig, so you have enough room to park your vehicle. There were no gravel sites - all sites were concrete pads.

- More than one laundry location. Main office building has two washers, two dryers. We didn't check out the other laundry building.

- More than one restroom location throughout park.

- Wifi was pretty decent, though spotty at times.

- The picnic table is modular. If you didn't need the table, it was easy to separate the two halves and have bench seating if seating was needed.

Minor negatives:

- While they had recycling containers in our section, there was only one trash receptacle clear across the park. And it was a trash compactor, so when you used your key code to open it, the stench was almost overwhelming.

- The entrance to the concrete pads was a little steep and might result in bottoming out. It was not a gentle slope, but a sharp incline.