The best GROUP camping near
Haviland , OHIO

Most Recent Haviland Camping Reviews
Hidden gem

Traveling with a dog is not always easy, but I throughly enjoyed my stay. Will be back again, happy it wasn’t full of people. Wifi strong, Verizon service great, premium electric (I have 30amp and there was a hookup), no water as it’s winter meaning no bathrooms (there is a porterhouse). Clean sites and friendly folks.

Great outside of Covid

We had a really great time. Good cell coverage. Lots of security, playgrounds, well kept trails, a beach, general store. This place is MASSIVE. You will need to pay a one time entry fee 9 for out of state, 7 for in state. After you check into the campsite you will have a pass. We got a space with direct access to a huge playground, but it was closed for Covid. Major bummer. There are LOTS and LOTS of playgrounds so we had a lot of temper tantrums from my normally very well behaved toddler. He goes days and days without fussing but seeing playgrounds he can't use is too much, lol The swimming area is great for kids. They have lots of stuff for sale. I posted pictures so you can budget. Overall this place was perfect, the only downside is the temporary closures. A Walmart Supercenter is 30 minutes away. The general store really has anything(including tents) that you might need but it's overpriced as you would expect. We were able to stay on property all 5 days! Extra bonus! We were here on Memorial Day and we saw 0 people on a morning hike.

Off Season and No Water

We love camping in the off season but with that comes closures. Some sections of the campgrounds might not be open, no camp hosts and limited bathrooms and showers houses. This is to be expected, but when I called the morning of our trip to make sure potable water was available and I was told yes it was only to drive 2 hours and realized they were wrong. No water 🙁. This would not have been a peas we have dry camped before but all the bathrooms were closed as well.

After called the park ranger he did let us get some water at the maintenance building so we were at least able to finish the weekend. Lesson learned always pull with at least some water.

Now back to the campground itself was nice and clean. Site are a little close together. The biggest down side is you are there to enjoy the lake but the lake had algae warnings everywhere not to go near the water.

They do have a dog park, pool and splash pad when in season and a marina. Also they have WiFi and good cell coverage.

Great Visit / Great Park

We spent this past week at Hogback Lake KOA. It is late in the season so much of the park was closed for the season, but we had a great year round site. A little bit of road noise, but water, electric, sewer, cable TV all worked great. We have family in the area and had a great visit. We will definitely stay here again in the spring.

A Hidden Gem

This is a small campground no question! That being said we had one of our best camping experiences. Our site was right along the Maumee River and our view was just breathtaking. We watching the seagulls play and catch food while great blue herons skimmed that water and fisherman were out fly fishing. It was just a very peaceful setting.

There are lots of bike trails as the towpath trail goes through the park and it even leads into the little town of Grand Rapids. A quaint town with lots of antiques store and boutique with a brewery and pizza shop. ( the ice shop was closed for the season 🙁)

The only odd thing was your potable water and dump station were located at the Marina about a 1/4 mile down the road. Not a huge deal but a little inconvenient.

The Verizon cell service was great as well.

We will definitely go back to this park.

Seems better later in the season--Memorial Day to Independence Day lots of noise & trash.

Water available here and there throughout campground, but turned off across fron site 12 and at the boat ramp. Not sure if dumping is currently allowed. Bring your own toilet paper and firewood. There is a private driveway about 1 mile east on 224 that sells wood for $3.00 an armload. 1 mile hiking loop at the end of the primitive sites. No swimming allowed on the reservoir, but plenty of space to launch your boat or kayak. No camp host. Sites affordable, and most will accommodate a 20 foot RV, with several large enough for the largest class A. Watch out for poison ivy, oak and sumac in wooded areas. Lots of playground equipment and paved areas for bikes. 3 garbage dumpsters along campground drive.

Great State Park

Great little State Park. Nice clean camp sites. Plenty of trails to hike and a nice little lake to enjoy. Will definitely come back here

Indian Lake State Park Campground

Very nice campground with larger campsites. Campers varied from tents to large RV’s. Most sites are shaded with large trees and at the end of the cul de sac’s were canals that let you access the lake from the campground. Even had docks for boat campers. A very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere here. Park and restrooms were clean and the showerhouse in “B” section seemed to have been just remodeled. Some fast food and restaurants were close by with unique places like the “Tiltin Hilton” which offered a selection of sandwiches and beer. Nice large playground for the kids as well. Always seemed to have a breeze through the campsites.

About what you’d expect

Only stopped here for the night to catch a rest so cannot speak to the trails or lakes. The place was nice enough at first glance that I’ll be back to check all those things out if I’m ever around these parts again. Would I make a many-hours-out-of-my-way detour for this place? Maybe… if the online booking looked like the park campground wouldn’t be terribly booked, because the sites are pretty jammed in there and close together, so you’d want to be there when it is less busy.

There were very cute friendly cats that came out at night to comb my site to see if there were any foodstuffs to be had. I prefer them over rodents, but missed the overly-friendly raccoons I’m used to :)

Weekenders that felt alienated

I thought I’d enjoy this place a little more because I’d heard from several people and they liked their experience. There are a lot on permanent sites and we just felt a little out of place because we are “weekenders.” I would have rated this place a one star had we not rented a golf cart. Our site was far from anything and with 3 kids it was tough not to spend the 65/day cart rate. We will probably return here in the summer to experience more of the swimming areas. Also we’ll try and get a group to go with us so we won’t feel as alienated.