Amanda, OHIO
Most Recent Amanda Camping Reviews
Would stay again

This walk in camp ground was located just minutes from Old Man’s Cave. It’s a family friendly and pet friendly camp ground. Our stay was quiet and relaxing.

One of my favorite state parks!

Hocking Hills is a wonderful destination to go for camping and a weekend of hiking. There are trails all over the park. Can be a bit busy during the warmer months. The park is pet friendly and has a nice nature center before you hike down to Old Man’s Cave.

family fun

We go here at least once a year! Usually with a large group! Lots for kid to do! The bathrooms, showers and camping sites are always well maintained and clean! It is my favorite place to camp

Huge Campground

Lots of spaces! Lots of permanent campers. They have mobile phone service and wifi on site. We stayed in our own camper so we didn’t visit the bathrooms. The pool wasn’t open yet either. Lots of golf carts to rent. Nice people very helpful. Full service hookup was awesome! New stage area, is the party place on the weekends!

Fairgrounds, closest sites to downtown Columbus

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights in June. It's massive, but there were only about 4 or 5 other RV's there. It wasn't until our 3rd day did someone come by to collect payment. Full hookups, close to downtown and $35/night. Trains are close and frequent.

Peaceful, quiet, and scenic.

Alum Creek State Park is just under 40 minutes from Columbus. It makes a great weekend getaway from the city. The campground offers some spots next to the water which have a wonderful view.

BFF camping trip

My best friends and I met here for a weekend campout. It’s was so nice just to relax, hangout and hit the local yarn stores. The pool was awesome too and even though it rained we still had a great time just being together. The store was nice and the people were too.

Are we sure this is Ohio?

I've traveled all over the states and Hocking Hills is one of my favorite places to camp and hike. Absolutely stunning year round.

Great Campground with some areas for that Improvements

Very peaceful campground. There is a train track in the vicinity which every now and then you can hear…..but not bad. The lake is within walking distance from the campgrounds. Our dogs love this place especially when taken for long walks along the pavement. There is a market with great pizza nearby.

There is a nearby dog park as well.

The original check-in station burned down last year and the park has a temporary hut for check in. I hope they rebuild the check-in station and bring back the store. There are a lot of downed trees (either naturally fell or man made) which need to be cleaned up. Some sites can get flooded or become very muddy with heavy rains. The past few years have been problematic with ticks…so be vigilant.

Year round camping

Most of the campers are year round. Friendly bunch of people. There is a beautiful spot to access the lake on the back of the campground.

Year round camping

Most of the campers here are year round. In the back of the campground is a beautiful area to access the lake.

SO beautiful

This place is amazing!! so much to do and see! All the views are beautiful. I had such a great time there and i wished i could’ve stayed longer!! There’s also some great cabins if you’re not a tent person!!

Not really a camp ground

This is a parking lot at the fair grounds. I'm sure it's fine for people traveling for the fair but not what I would consider camping.

It's a trailer park

Not for camping. I'm sure you can score so meth here though. Right on a main road. Avoid

Nice place

Nice park. You can reserve spaces to backpack along the rei water trail and stay the night to test gear. Not huge, no crazy obstacles but great for last minute trips close to the city.

Come For Week and Never Want to Leave

Caves, waterfalls, trails-20 plus, scenery, views, it goes on and on. This State Park is widely respected and utilized by those near and far, the area is jaw dropping and folks are super friendly. The campground offers a lot of electric sites, restrooms, showers, pool, store, vending machines. Swim, bird watch, fish, the choice is yours.

Fun!

Kayaking is a blast down the hocking river. They take you and you end up right back at your car. They aim to make your trip fun and are super helpful! I’ve been a couple dozen times and never had a bad experience

Crowded

Hocking hills has become overcrowded in the past few years. Camping is fun here if you don’t mind the people. Trails are beautiful and well maintained. Lots of different hiking options

Crisp and clean

The lake is clean and has beautiful scenery. The beach is very kid friendly. There is a playground there. The trails are great. They have options for length and scenic differences. Roads are well maintained. Campsites aren’t great for tent camping, but we still had fun. Campsites are close together. They are under trees though, which is a definite plus for me. Overall I thought there was a great vibe and it was a clean area.

Charming

Cute, charming Ohio State Park. Enjoy 4 lovely hiking trails that showcase the parks features by taking you through the woods and fields. Fish is offered and their is boat dock . Only issue was that campground is walk in only . There are showers nearby and a dump station is provided. Overall this park is great for enjoying some quiet time.

Simply stunning and amazing

What an outdoor lovers dream! Boating to fishing to disc golf you will not get bored! Enjoy a few hours or the day hiking one of eight trails or all of them. If you have horses take them out on the two loops especially for them. Lodge, campground, cabins so many options. The campground was clean, quiet and serene. Only electric at the sites, but 2 of your favorite fur babies are welcome.

Beautiful and relaxing

Great place to take the family and unwind. Good dog park for the furry ones. Bring your boat for some water fun, fish, or simply float around. 3 easy trails to venture out on and take in the parks amazing scenery. With more than 280 campsites and several cabins there’s something for everyone.

New favorite !

Trails are gorgeous…waterfalls…gorges..truly amazing. Drive to trail heads Campground-not huge-bathrooms nice-roads are tight for big campers. Ours is a 41ft 5th wheel and site 65 was okay. Other sites might have been very difficult to park. Little cell service if you have AT&T. Verizon was okay. Pool. Up the road a few minutes is Grandma Faye’s if you need any last minute things. Straw was put down for wet spots at sites. Sites are around 30s hear the constant running of what I think is a water treatment place. Loop around 65-70 has a water tower in the middle. We will come back again!

Fishing trip

The areas are nice easy to get to lake. However even with a boat I have fished here numerous times with very little luck.

A little outdated, but still a great choice!

We have returned to this camp ground four times! Everything is quite outdated especially the park and mini golf. With that said it was a great time. It has mini golf, a pool, park and small game room which is awesome for camping with kids. It offers rustic cabins for those that dont tent camp or have a rv. On this particular trip it was chilly and we were staying with small children so we went the rustic cabin route. There's a small pond for fishing and a church from the 1800s and all together a beautiful place to walk around. The best part is you can walk to ash cave from your campsite! There is a connecting trail right at the front of the campground. It was a fairly simple hike too.

Great off season!

We went to Tar Hollow state Park campground on April 11,2019 and it was as quiet as can be!! Not one camper by us. Perfect spot lot 71, it has plenty of room for a couple tents or pop up and tents and still have room for 2-3 cars. But this is probably the only campsite you can do that in. The rest are tight and with little to no space. Lots 1-27, I would say are for campers, RVs etc very little to no space for tents. Lots 67-70 I would say are for tents. Tight road getting in and out. Lot 71 I would say is for both tents and campers. Behind lot 71 is woods so you can do off trail hiking. Be ready for a climb but it’s pretty. There’s a playground for the kids and a wooden swing for the parents to sit and watch there kids. The bathrooms down on this site are pit toilets but the bathrooms by lots 1-27 have flushing toilets and that is where the shower house is located. I don’t recommend lots 32-37 because from what can see you have to drive through the grass to get to them. Lots 30-31A would be nice it you have kids (not toddlers) because there’s a small stream to play in and on the other side of the stream is the playground. The stream is only like 3 ft wide so easy for kids to cross but yet parent can sit at campsite and watch kids at playground. Staff was nice but rarely saw a ranger. General store did say they just opened today. I would probably never come here when it is busy. I would have no idea how everyone would drive by each other roads are not wide and some campsites have little space to park. But for as of now - beginning of season its great! There is a small beach that we didn’t go to and a movie screen that we didn’t go to nor know if they use. The store staff said there is fish in the lake. Naturally breed not stocked.

Out of the Way Campgrounds

Very open campgrounds. Not a lot of family amenities. Great hiking trails for every level.

Nice Getaway

Open areas but still allows for some nice, wooded spots. Has mountain bike trails that can get to other areas, but it’s a car ride to most park amenities.

Decent camping

The prime sites (lake view or secluded) are booked out way in advance. It is possible to bike to the park amenities (pool, lodge, beach) but it’s a haul. Nice golf course!

Good Family Campground

We spent a weekend here with two other families (9 kids total) and had a wonderful time! The kids loved the swimming pools and splash pads, the awesome play ground and lots of playing in the creek. There was a huge thunderstorm one of the nights, where we initially retreated to our vans; but then decided to drive up to the store and got ice cream which made the kids super excited about the rain (getting to stay up late and have ice cream!!). And they let all the tent dwellers use the game room to relax in and ride out the worst of the storm. We had so much fun, we will definitely come back. Oh, and the bathrooms were really nice!!