The best DRIVE IN camping near
Mars Hill , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Mars Hill Camping Reviews
What a want a campground to be

Cozy and Spotless. Such warm management staff. Extremely helpful and even directed me to see my first Bear.

What An Experience!

If you are looking for a campground that is quiet and secluded - this is your place!

We are a tent camping family so we stayed in Section “A.” It was really quiet, everyone was respectful of quiet hours. The bathhouse was very well maintained and clean. Never out of soap or toilet paper - biggest plus were the hot showers!

The campsites were spaced out perfectly with enough natural separation from trees, bushes, etc. The campsites were also pretty large, at least ours was. Just make sure you read the size of the campsite before you book because we noticed a sizes difference amongst all them.

I read a lot of reviews about cellphone service prior to coming, and they were all pretty accurate. My husband and I have Verizon wireless, and we had about 2 bars of LTE (when we weren’t connected to the wifi at the campground) which was enough service to call family and friends, but not enough to text or load any apps.

Overall, huge recommend. So much to do, so peaceful, relaxing, and super scenic. P.S. the blue ridge parkway in the fall is something out of a fairytale, just gorgeous.

Loved staying here!

A bucket list trip to step foot on the APP and spend time wandering Hot Springs NC.

Needs some love

We stayed in site 20 and my take on this campsite is that it just needs a little love and care.  My site was next to the creek which was nice.  On one side of me was a permanent trailer of someone who lives there and on the other side, nestled into a triangle was my neighbor.  His sewage had been overflowed by the last camper and they had to get the management to help clean it up before they connected.  It's pretty clear that the sites weren't checked or tidied between campers.  There's no cell signal (T-Mobile) and even though the camp supposedly has WiFi, they've not set it up to cover the campground.  It really just covers the camp store area.

It just bothers me sometimes when I see a place like this that could be so great, if there was just a bit more love and care put into the place.

On the plus side, this was our first RV camping trip with our new (to us) 2007 Keystone Laredo 265RL.  Setup and everything went great and we just loved it.  Overall a successful trip but just a bit disappointed in the campground.

At first I was worried, but it turned out great

This is the smallest KOA we’ve been to by far, in our travels. When we got there the site was crazy unleveled, but after using all my leveling blocks, we made it work. The o let other 2 negative things was it’s the road noice and the smell of the paper mill in the morning. Other than that, is place was really pretty cool. We camped down on the lower level and had water and power, no sewer, which isn’t a huge deal, but still. Our site backed up to a little wooded area and we get like we were actually in a state park, not an rv park. The playground was a little too small for my kids, but they’ve got a bunch of little trails throughout the site with fairy doors at the base of some trees and a Groot!!! David, the grounds guy there, was great and had a ton of suggestions for where we could go to explore. You’re about 15 minutes from Asheville at this place, and there’s tons of things to do in town….breweries, nature centers, and the biltmore to name a few!

Just OK

Pluses: Nice river and lake Excellent WiFi Helpful staff for parking

Minuses: Bathrooms are yuck - need redone Campground is loud from frontage road and running parallel/below Highway I-40 AND train going by.

Remote campground with beautiful settings.

Awesome campground with select sites. Nice tent sites but RVs are restricted to the edge of the road. Unique area with its higher elevation. Nice people throughout many who have been coming here for many years. Clean restrooms but no showers.

Beautiful area

Semi private sites for tents. Some RV sites are on the edge of the road. Clean restrooms and showers. Great hiking trails nearby beginning in the campground. Dog friendly. If you have a National park pass you get a discount.

Laurel group site bordering the Toe River

Tis campground is a little hard to find because it is off of the beaten path but close to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We went during the peak leaf season and of course, had to book the site super early. But we snagged the belle of the ball with the Laurel group site. The maximum number of people in the site is 50 (pre Covid) but we were a group of 3 families with 11 people and it was the perfect size for this size group. There were steps leading down to the river with a small spot for a 2 person tent. There were also a number of dispersed tent sites with room to spread out. We had our own very clean restroom that was not in the way but accessible. There are a number of trails to access from the site including Setrock Falls. Even though the campground was full, we felt completely private in our site. The Toe River is the real gift of this site. The constant sounds around you and the river loop trail allowed you to explore further. This is a perfect site for kids because it is open and the river is shallow enough. I would highly recommend this site any time of year because of the river but fall adds a special quality with the leaves all around.

Poor water pressure