Etowah , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Etowah Camping Reviews
Reality doesn’t match website

We were so excited to spend a week here based on the website. Not sure when those photos were take but the place is seriously run down. I have never seen potholes so big! The sites at “The Overlook” have a good view but there is zero grass and anything outside of where you park is red mud. I hope they spend some money to restore the campground to beauty.

Great for Tent Camping!

Stayed here in July 2020. Campsites are available on a first come, first served basis. There is no cell service. It's pet friendly. No water or electric hookups. Bathrooms are toilet only and no running water or temperature control.

There's the facts. Now on to the good stuff.

The road to get to some of these sites is ROUGH. Definitely not a road to drive for those who aren't skilled in off road driving.

We stayed in one of the back sites near the creek (I can't recall the number). Most of the sites were VERY secluded. We could see our neighbors in the distance, but not very well.

Some of the sites are HUGE. Ours was one of those large ones.

There are bugs everywhere. Make sure you know how to set up your site to repel bugs!

This campground has it all - fishing, hiking, waterfalls, wildlife, etc. It's a primitive camper's dream!

Terrible cancellation policy.

We reserved for 5 nights and they took the entire sum upfront, $237. They offered us NO refund and NO opportunity to change our reservation to a later date. No exceptions. This is especially terrible during a global pandemic when even airlines are more lenient and understanding of change in plans.

Woodland Shelter

My wife and I stayed at the shelter while doing a backpacking loop in the smokies. We started at Newfound gap and followed the AT north towards Charlie's Bunion then headed down to the shelter at the split. The views along the ridge are incredible and this is some of the best hiking in the area. I highly recommend this loop and the distance works out nicely for a single night. The shelter itself is nothing too special but has all the amenities of the shelters in the area. There is a bear cable set up so you can hang your gear and multiple fire pits along with a fireplace in the shelter itself for very cold nights. Normally you are required to stay within the shelter but due to COVID concerns, you are temporarily allowed to set up a tent in the area surrounding the shelter. This was a nice option and there were already several established sites. Overall it's not as nice a view as you get staying up on the ridge but it's a quieter area with more privacy and will probably have more space available if you need to book last minute.

Great trail, terrible campsite

First off I would say that the Bartram trail is one of my favorite through hikes in the southeast and I actually got engaged on one of the sections. However, this particular site, listed as a campground on the official Bartram trail NC map, is not worth staying at. I looked around and checked the map several times but it is really just a clearing. There is no firepit, no water, and no good flat area for a tent. In a pinch, you could set up a hammock here and camp for the night but my suggestion would be to plan on staying at one of the nearby backcountry sites with a better setup. I have posted reviews of those as well so check them out. If you are still interested I would suggest watching my video first.

Paris mountain is a beautiful setting. Lots of bikers use the park. The campground is nice except lots of the spots are not level. The sites are nice otherwise. Bathhouse is nice and clean. Several easy hiking trails around which we did with our older dogs. They did fine and loved it. No sewer hookup but a dump station available. The area is so beautiful that I would definitely use this park Again.

Beautiful setting, gross bathhouse

Beautiful spot next to the river. The downside was the bathrooms/showers were really gross. Otherwise it was a good campground.

Awesome for dogs and people!

We camped here back in August and had a blast! We brought our two dogs and they also had a great time. This site is very dog friendly (obviously), with many sites having their own fenced in yards. We opted for a site without a fence, which we regretted once we got there. The gravel at our site was painful for our dog’s feet and they had a hard time walking on it. The dog parks made up for this! There are multiple large dog parks located at the campground. The restrooms were awesome, but are single person use only. We felt like we were the only ones using them (that’s how well maintained they were). Campsites are close together but we didn’t mind. The staff was great, they helped us find our site and even helped us back our camper in. There was power and water hookup at each site. There is tons of stuff to do around the area too. Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are right around the corner and SO FUN.

Expensive, Narrow Site

My husband and I, along with our 2 dogs, stayed at Rutledge Lake RV Resort for 1 night in our Mercedes Sprinter campervan. We prefer to make our reservations online, and found it a bit odd that they actually use a third party booking site that only submits a request to book so we didn't have a confirmed booking until mid-morning the day of our arrival. They also don't offer guaranteed site numbers so you don't know your site until you arrive. In addition, we found out after we arrived that due to the temps we were not supposed to use the water connections. We found it to be to be an extremely expensive reservation, especially given the inability to use the hookups we had purchased. For reference, we paid$68 for one night and had just completed a 4 night stay at another park for$74 total. While the lake was pretty, the sites are very narrow and there is zero privacy. There's also a fair bit of road noise as well. There don't seem to be a ton of great options in the Asheville area and since we needed WiFi in the morning for my husband's work meeting, we opted to stay here, but we wouldn't choose to stay here again in the future. For campers that like lots of amenities, perhaps this is a great fit, but it just wasn't worth it for us. I think it's also worth mentioning that in trying to use the key card the automatic gate dropped on the front of our vehicle, and then in order to park close enough to the hookups my husband hit a post when opening the driver's door.

Our favorite place in the Smokies

My husband and I have been camping in the Smokies and surrounding areas for years. This is our favorite spot. Much quieter than the other campgrounds in the park. Several wonderful hikes right out of the campground.