Drexel, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Drexel Camping Reviews
Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

Scottish-esque hills

One of my top 5 state campgrounds. Will definitely be back again soon. Wild panoramic views and access to the Appalachian trail only a few miles away

First Time Campers

We chose crowders mountain as first time campers since we had heard it was a nice campground, and we were looking for a “hold your hand” type experience the first round. This campground lived up to expectations. The hike in was only about a mile. Not terrible, but if you’re out of shape and carrying a pack it may be slightly daunting, but still do able (I made it, so can you! 😃)

They have firewood available for purchase, but they also let you collect/scavenge the surround area for your own and we did well just doing that.

All in all a great first trip. Would definitely return! 🏕🏔👍🏻

Fantastic stop!

Loved this place - great sites, clean bathrooms, nice showers, it was all good! Hope to come back!

Great Site

Great site with very clean bathrooms/showers. Sites are very close together, so if it was a busy weekend, it may be a little snug. However, the campground has great amenities and definitely worth going. Only 10-15 minutes from Sugar mountain and Boone.

TN state Park Campground

This is one of my favorite campgrounds.  Family and friends try to go several times a year.  Due to its popularity, make sure you make reservations n advance.

Paved roads and sites. Both 30 and 50 amp service along with water.  There is a dump station as you exit the camping area.

Park is well maintained, bathhouses are clean with LOTS of hot water.  Water pressure is not as good as it used to be.  WIFI can be spotty to weak.

Beautiful lake

Gorgeous campgrounds w lakeside Mountain View. Spacious campsites and moderate hiking trails around the lake.

Hidden gem

We stopped at this site on a spur of the moment trip and we absolutely love it. The owners are very friendly and showed us the best lot to pick. Prices are fair and the amenities were nice and clean. We stayed on the lot near the running stream with a waterfall and had a nice time sleeping to the sound of water. We highly recommend this site if you plan on doing any traveling to Boone or the surrounding area and don’t want to deal with swarms of other people.

Primitive Camping at the South End of Doughton

There are approximately 4 primitive sites here. It is located behind the Flat Rock Ridge Trailhead. You can drive your vehicle (4wd not required) up to the sites. A river/creek is beside the campsites, so water could be filtered. There are no amenities. You will find rock campfire circles, but that's about it. The area immediately around the sites have been picked relatively clean of firewood, so that might be a bit of a journey.

Amazing Views Within Feet of the Campsites

Access: I've read a lot about the road leading into this campground/trailhead area. There are two different ways to access it from what I can tell. I came in from the north (despite coming from I-40). Googlemaps took me all the way up Hwy 181 to Gingercake Rd, in the Gingercake residential neighborhood. From there, it is about 7 miles to the Table Rock Picnic Area. Approximately 5 miles of that is compacted gravel/dirt road. I did this in a Honda Accord. You DO NOT need an SUV or 4wd to do this route. You do need patience however. There are some spots where rocks are sticking up and if you don't have tires designed for SUV's, you could risk a puncture. There are some potholes to dodge and some washed out areas. All of this can easily be navigated. I saw a Prius that had made it up. Again, I did this with an Accord with zero issues. The last two miles is a relatively steep paved road. The alternative route up (which you pass on the way to how I went) is about 13 miles off of Hwy 181. I think this is the way that many people go and review that it is very rough. It brings you up to the Picnic Area from the south. The two ways merge just before the paved portion.

I should note that there are campsites all the way up once you hit the dirt portion of the road. Several of those campsites would be good options getting to the northern portion of the gorge.

At the Picnic Area, there is plenty of parking, a bathroom and well, a picnic area with tables and grills. To the right is the trail to Table Rock and beyond up to Hawksbill. There are no campsites, at least not to the point where you go up to Table Rock. To the left is the picnic area and then the campsite area. I would estimate there are at least ten spots where a tent could be pitched with an accompanying fire ring (made of rocks). This is on the ridge heading up to The Chimneys. I was there in winter and there were still at least four sites taken, so in summer I imagine you would have any privacy for what that's worth.

I stayed at the site further up on the right (they aren't numbered). This was the last spot before you really hit the trail (which by the way is immediate world-class views. I don't know if it was just in my head or not, but the winds were extremely high that night and it felt like some of the sites a little way down the hill closer to the parking lot (maybe 100 yards) had less wind. Not sure if that was real or not, but you may consider that a lower spot. All of the sites are between 100-400 yards from the parking lot. So no need if you decide to bring more than you might need.

Overall, can't recommend this location enough. Bring what you need though. There are not facilities and the nearest anything is essentially an hour away in Morganton.