Boonville, NORTH CAROLINA

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Boonville Camping Reviews
magical in every way

beautiful campground, amazing hikes & waterfalls and the best stargazing you could ask for.

the bathrooms were clean, fellow campers were respectful and nice.

10/10 would camp here again and again.

One Night or Several - A Great Spot

I've stayed here many times over the past few years. It's an ideal spot for base camping and exploring the area or just an over-nighter on your way somewhere. I won't mention the layout, as the other reviewers covered that accurately, just to say you won't feel crowded.

The host, Will, is a motorcyclist and nice guy. Most evenings riders will gather on the porch to talk bikes and life - should you care to join in.  Coffee in the mornings, restaurants less than a mile away, a grocery store just down the road - this place is ideal. Will even has ice for sale and grills for use (free) under the pavilion.  It is motorcycle only, but he has limited space outside the campground proper for trailers should that be your thing.

So, if you are looking for a campground, as opposed to a spot on the side of the road, have a look.

Great location

Great campground! It is about a 15 minute drive to 3 great wineries and walkable to the trail head for the Stone Mountain loop. Great amenities, and everything was very clean.

Clean, level, close to Mount Airy

Clean full hookup sites. Level, easy access. Close to Mount Airy. Only one bathroom but it’s clean and has clean showers. No real activities on site.

Great Secluded RV Dry Camping

This site has a 38 foot pull through parking pad with a large patio and nice fire pit. It is dry camping with a Porta potty on the propety. The best part is this site is right by the river. Great place to get away and enjoy the sights and sounds of good ol nature.

Our favorite local campground .

Great views, large sites, all the amenities we need. Management is very nice and helpful. Pool is well kept. Near the golf course, rent kayaks next door, fishing. Great place! Only two drawbacks (1) noise from highway (2) many sites are not level so plan ahead and bring extra levelers.

Primitive Camping at the South End of Doughton

There are approximately 4 primitive sites here. It is located behind the Flat Rock Ridge Trailhead. You can drive your vehicle (4wd not required) up to the sites. A river/creek is beside the campsites, so water could be filtered. There are no amenities. You will find rock campfire circles, but that's about it. The area immediately around the sites have been picked relatively clean of firewood, so that might be a bit of a journey.

Peaceful Campground beside the South Yadkin River and in the Country

This campground is off the beaten path, literally. It is out in the country, and without a GPS, I would have had a difficult time finding it. I had written the directions down from the website, but at night, it takes some maneuvering to look at directions and find country road signs in the dark. The campground is close to its namesake town of Hiddenite, which is a famous gem mining area known for gemstones such as hiddenite (spodumene), emeralds, sapphires, etc. I didn’t realize when I got to the campground that it also was a place for people to come watch their Christmas lights display. All of the mobile homes and RVs were lit for a beautiful display. When I first tried to book a reservation, I had to fill out an online request. After two days, I hadn’t heard back and I was going in that direction on my way home. I decided to take a chance. I stopped at the entry to what I think was the campground/Christmas lights display entrance. After a few minutes, a gentleman came out to ask me if he could help me. I told him I had contacted the campground two days ago, and after that I followed his golf cart to where he showed me a few places I could park my teardrop for the night. It had water, electricity, and sewer, as most of the sites do, and it was close to the creek. It had rained quite a bit a few days ago, so the grassy site was soft with ruts. They do allow tent camping, which is good to know for future reference. It appeared to me that most of the other campers here were permanent residents. When I went to the bath house, I was told the ladies’ bathroom was not working, so if I hear a woman in there I would know why. Most of the campers, however, would be using the facilities in their own RVs/trailers. During the summer, the bath house wouldn’t be so bad, but it was cold and there was no heat. The concrete walls made it feel even colder. There was hot water, however, but I chose not to take a shower there since I was only three hours from home and I would be leaving the next morning. The floor needed sweeping and somebody left beard hair all over the one sink. The host was very nice, and the campground served my needs for an overnight stay. There are a swimming pool and a playground for children. The road coming into the campground is dirt as was the road within the campground. There are shady spots in the campground with pull-through and back-in sites. Although the Christmas lights were on until I went to sleep, it didn’t seem to bother me that much, and other than the synchronized Christmas music, it was quiet. It would be interesting to see how the campground is during the summer.

Standard NPS campground directly on the Blue Ridge Parkway

We were told by a ranger we talked with earlier in the day that this campground might be closed for the season but the gates were open, so we checked it out and saw a sign saying that it would close for the season on November 4 so we were good!

There are two different campgrounds– one for tents and one for RVs. Normally, we can stay in tent sites with our 17-foot campervan but not at Doughton, as the tent pads are a distance away from where you park and there are not suitable pads where you could park and camp. Also, there was not a soul in the tent section. The RV section is across the street (on the Blue Ridge Parkway) and it was about 2/3rds full. No hookups and the bathrooms were reasonable Two toilet stalls, two sinks, no showers but don’t forget to bring your flashlight; there were no lights and it was dark even during the day when it was cloudy/foggy.

Each site has two pads– I’m assuming one is if you have a trailer or 5th wheel and one to park your car. However, even though there are two, they are not long, so bringing a large 5th wheel might be problematic, and a large Class A would definitely be challenged.

Even though many of the sites were occupied, it was very quiet. I’m assuming a Monday night in late October meant there were no children. Can’t beat the value for$10 (with a senior pass).

Facilities were clean and decent, although distances to restrooms can be pretty long from some sites.