Boonville, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Boonville Camping Reviews
What a great place to camp!

This is a great park! The staff are all nice and friendly, and the park is very well laid out and clean. You got full hookups, nice level sites, and two playgrounds. This place is full on the weekends so reserve in advance.

Also, the Mt. Airy town is nice to visit. You are close to all the amenities when staying here. Check out the Andy Griffith museum, Main Street, and the granite quarry.

3 Different Campgrounds

There are four different campgrounds in this state park, one being paddle-in. The park is a linear park that is known for its flat-ish trails and bike/horse paths. Of the 57 miles of this park, about 39 are on the New River. All campgrounds are primitive; no RV sites, no bathhouses (pit toilets only), but potable water is available.

Millrace Campground is right on the river and near Foster Falls; you can rent canoes and bikes here. Reservations required.

Cliffview Campground is in Galax and has 13 sites on the Chestnut Creek. Reservations required. There are a few equestrian sites here (room for your trailer).

Double Shoals Campground: first-come, first-served.

The paddle-in sites are located at Baker Island Campground.

Riverside!

Really cool campground located right on the New River, located at Foster Falls. The river sounds amazing at night. You have to walk everything into the campground from the parking area, but it's not a long walk so you can still bring all of your "car camping" luxuries. There are no RV sites and there are no bathhouses, only pit toilets which can be a little funky, but it is what it is. Just a short walk from the campground, you can explore the area which includes stables, a wildlife center, visitor center with local artisan goods (we got some local teas, stevia, and handmade jewelry/ornaments as gifts), an abandoned hotel/grounds (you can check them out from the outside), an old train car, and much more. Pet-friendly.

Sites 2, 6, and 9 would be my personal picks for next time. If you have a large group, G17 is HUGE. You can also use this campground for day-use, picnicking, etc.

Shot Tower State Park isn't far from here either, so definitely check that out while you're in the area. Millrace Campground is located within the New River State Park. We went in October and the colors were really starting to change.

Overnight Trip

Took a short overnight trip to this campground with my family. Tent sight was very clean and level. Camp host were very nice and friendly. Overall it was a nice experience. The biggest down side was the bath house. There was no heat in the bath house. One shower head was a trickle of water and the other one only got lukewarm.

Nice

Small campground, but very nice. Well maintained, full hookups, they also have cabins and a motel. The owner is very nice, and helpful . Would definitely stay again!

Where is Andy ?

We were close to Mayberry but we were on our way to Florida for a rocket launch (subsequently cancelled). Campground was nice, clean and well kept! The checkin was easy BUT we had to have CASH. As Passport America members, the $40 rate was only $20! We would stay here again, for sure.

Great place to camp.

Great Place to camp with your family. The park has more to do other than the campground it is a wonderful place if you have young kids.

Great little weekend getaway.

For a weekend that just started out wrong (double conjunctivitis, sinus infection, son didn’t seat the camper correctly on the ball hitch… yep, we dismounted my friends!) The campground was a terrific place to get some much needed rest and relaxation. The secluded spots are a friendly distance from your neighbors and the water was peaceful and serene.

Quite....

End of season… Pool was closed but it was hot as hell (9/3/2019). WiFi is good if you're in the right spot. We had a great spot for camping, but bad for wifi. Bathrooms were amazing. Pulled my review from a 3+ to a 5! Private baths like at home. Toilet, sink and shower all to yourself and CLEAN!

Great Campground

Mayberry is conveniently located near the highway. The property is well maintained. The staff is very helpful.

The campsites vary in size so check the map and talk to the staff to figure out your best option when making your reservation.

Pros and Cons

Went with our two dogs for two nights. Spaces are pretty close together and open, so you’ll see your neighbor.

Unfortunately, we had terrible neighbors our second night and made a quick exit the following morning as a result.

Otherwise, the bathhouse was clean, and the trails around the campground were very nice. The stand alone outhouses were very gross; spider webs, flies everywhere, and dark.

I don’t think I will return, but think it would be good for families and people who want ease over quiet.

Just beautiful

It was the best weekend we ever had

Best weekend ever

Amazing time

Escape to nature’s playground

LNSP is just a 45 minute drive from Charlotte and 1.5 hours from Asheville. The campsites are spacious, and surrounded by woods with plenty of shade to keep the summer heat in check. The Lakeshore Trail takes hikers around the lake with opportunities to swim along the way. If mountain biking is your thing, there’s plenty of miles of trails for all skill levels just 2 miles away from you campsite. Lake Norman is huge and has a boat launch for everything from motorboats to paddle boards. You can even rent canoes, kayaks, peddleboats and standup paddle boards for $7 per hour. RVers will have to rough it - there’s no hookups but a dump station is available. Reservations are made through the state park website.

Great pool

Great park with one of the best pools in the area.

Nice for a stop over

Small camp ground with plenty of space. Some amenities. Bass lake is small, but nice and the weather was beautiful so it was a nice setting as the evening feel. Fun watching all the turtles in water bobbing in and out. Nice way to end a travel day. Quiet place even close to the hyway. Friendly staff. Passport America Full hookup.

One of my favorites

Wonderful staff, great club houses, rental carts, quiet campground. Full hook ups and great to reception.

Great!

This was our first time camping. Overall it was a great experience. Only reason I gave it 4 stars was Bc the bath house and dump station nearest our campsite was out of order. The dogs and kids loved it!

A layed back quiet campground. Nice for relaxation.

Very large campground. Has  alot of hiking trails . Some has waterfalls , ponds . Easy to get to grocery store, has shopping, restaurants,  places for children to go… Nestled back in the woods campground…

Quiet and water all over

My camp site (#5) was about 50 yard's from the water. I found a place I could sneak right to the water and fish. Really enjoyed the peace and quiet here. Something to note is I did hear a few boats going up and down the river late at night. My only real complaint is I couldn't find a single electric plug anywhere. I tried the picnic area, the bath house, the swimming area.. Nothing. I was trying to top off my phones battery but had no luck.

DONT TRUST anything these crooks say

Walked in on 8-2-2019& reserved a boat, a$50 charged to credit card& was told to bring$175 the day of rental. After traveling an hour plus we arrived the day of rental& was told to hand over another$300 cash? We have 3 witnesses as to what we was told friday at counter. I asked the clerk to produce the contract stating what he was saying& he couldn't. Basically DONT TRUST anything these crooks say!

Past it’s prime

The staff was friendly and helpful but this campground is past its prime. There are a lot of permanent sites that vary from pretty nice and well kept to well the opposite of nice and well kept.

The lake and pool area were nice as was the clubhouse.

nice blue ridge parkway campground

no reservation required.  There is always room to stay.  We were motorcycle camping the blue ridge parkway and camped here for the night.  There was a place to eat and drink not far down the road at Laurel Springs.

Beautiful Place !

Gorgeous, out of the way campground ! Little tight to navigate, but have definitely seen worse. Very quite and slow paced. Camp store is one of the finest I’ve seen. Reasonably priced for a camp store. Didn’t get to stay long, as it was a drive through, but would definitely come back !! Only down side was the price.Would’ve been 5 stars, but $63 dollars for a Sunday night. One little night. Seems quite steep, and could’ve found a hotel room cheaper. But, needing a place to hook up and take a shower…Thanks for being here KOA !!

Nice area, just not for us

The staff is wonderfully nice and helpful. We took our three boys (all under 5) for the weekend. There was not much at all for them to do other than play in the pool, which was a tad bit dirty. BUT there were storms that weekend so I don’t think that was their fault. There is a play ground and game room for older kids but nothing for the smaller children to do.

If it was just adults going, or even older children maybe 7 and up it would be a great location.

Not enough room

Sites are on top of each other and there is so much traffic in an out on a one lane road. It’s a wonder no one has gotten hurt. The river is nice.

Good times

Great place to fish and swim with the family.

Dry camping

Only $20 a night. Beautiful no showers. Decent spots, lots of hiking to do. The rangers however are a bit rude and hard to deal with. The camp host however were great.

. Beautiful place

Beautiful place. At $35 a night, there is a lot to enjoy. The only thing you need to be aware of is that some of the sights are very slanted. Very tall levelers are needed. But they do have cable, wifi(that’s ok) a dog park and lots more. It’s worth it.