Cairo, NEW YORK

Most Recent Cairo Camping Reviews
Home away from home ❤️

This campground has come so far in a short time! The new owners complete upgrades every season. Themed weekends and an annual car show. We are returning for our 4th season and cannot wait until May 2020!

Beautiful campground

Beautiful place.

Family friendly/ rocky tent campsite’s

Located in the Catskills. This is a family friendly there’s bathrooms/showers playground, pool, potable water and a outdoor pavilion. Located near hiking in the Catskills and 15 mins to Woodstock.

The tent site are very richly and uneven, it was very hard to pitch a tent. When it rains theres a horrible smell across the campground.

Nice and quiet campground in the woods

Once again, we arrived after dark (the days are way too short in the fall)! and although Google Maps guided us correctly to this campground, we also appreciated the very good signage directing us! This campground is set way back in the woods and except for the hooting owl and an occasional barking dog from other campers, it was VERY quiet. No road noise at this campground!

The campsites are spread out over a big area. Sites 1-9 are located near Berry Pond and are serviced by a pit toilet. The rest are about 1.5 miles south on the loop road. We were originally in site 29 but we would have had to walk through a path in the woods to get to the bathroom; since it was dark when we arrived, we were happy to switch to Site 32, much closer. Our site was level but not all of them appeared to be so. Many trees provide privacy. It looked like the restroom/shower building was fairly new and it was very clean. There is also a group campground and day-use areas.

The next morning, I set off to walk the loop road, thinking it would be a couple of miles at most. Surprise– it was over four miles and HILLY! I got a good workout, but it was a beautiful walk. The reward was seeing Berry Pond and the view when I finally reached the top of the hill. Wish we had more time to take a hike or explore the area more.

A normal thousand trails campground

Nice, quiet place. Our site was up front and we didn’t venture into the park. We did use the laundry room, which needed some updates, especially some lighting. It has a pretty large staircase and at night with a handful of laundry, it was a little scary navigating without lights. Other than that, it was a good stop over for a couple of nights.

Really more of an RV park now.

This was our third year tenting at this campground, each trip was the same weekend in September to attend the FreshGrass music festival in North Adams, MA. While there are a few designated tent sites, it’s clear this is an RV park. The new-ish owner greeted us enthusiastically, as always, but seemed so distracted by everything else going on that it made it difficult to understand what he’s trying to tell you. We found it a little rude to be treated as though, because we were tenters and weren’t hauling in a camper, we were not as important as the crowd of RVs pulling in.

We booked our site in mid-April for a September stay and requested a specific site as requested on the registration form, but upon arrival the owner moved us to a different site with no explanation.

Overall the campground is clean and family-friendly, with activities for the kiddos. The bathroom/shower is adequate, but far away from tent sites and look unfinished and a bit rundown. I assume this will be the next renovation for the new owners.

Very Nice

This place is very beautiful and rustic at the same time. The employees are all very friendly. Once you get the hang of getting around the area there is so much to do, I can't wait to go back.

Can’t wait to go back

Just finished another great trip at Mongaup Pond Campground. This was our 4th time here. Not a bad thing to say. Bathroom and water access are never far. One shower located by main entrance. No power at the sites, that I know of. About a 50/50 mix of tent and small RV. Very calm and quiet atmosphere. No pool or clubhouse. (which is one of the things we like!) Great place to let the kids ride bikes and explore. Concrete fire place on each site. Wood available at check in. Boat rentals are a little pricey @ $20 for a row boat from 10-6. All types available. Beautiful, calm, clean & quiet. Every time we leave we already can’t wait to book next trip. Oh and dogs are allowed as long as you have rabies cert.

Very nice Thousand Trails campground

Was our first Thousand trails site. Friendly staff and knowledgeable. Plenty of space in sites. Can accommodate many different size RV and trailers, plus tents. All sorts of activities, pool, playground and more. Close to local shops as well as bigger shops like Walmarts. Beautiful senic roads. One of the pics I posted is on hyway 44-55 coming back from New Paltz.

Nice place to stay

They have decent size sites, a lot were very private some more open. I have nothing bad to say. Restrooms and showers were clean, Rangers were pleasant to deal with and on top of everything, Bears were seen in the park and they noticed I had left food unattended ( I was walking to get a sponge from a friend at a neighboring site) and stopped to me it inquire. We camped in September and the campground was pretty empty = nice and peaceful!!! wish I had taken more photos.

Great quiet getaway

Nice campsites with little traffic.  The brook was great for the kids to explore

Beautiful wooded area

We found the service and campsite lovely. The wooded area was breathtaking. Facilities were clean and functional but needed some maintenance/updating. Camp store was well stocked; staff knowledgeable about the area.

Very Nice! TT encore campgrounds

This is a Thousand trails campground so it was free. I think the regular price is $64. Full hookups, tents and cabins to rent. Pleanty to do in and around campground. Grounds has a pool, concession stand,game room, playgrounds, sports feild and more. Sites are well groomed. We had one and a babbling brook was 30 feet behind us. Great spot for morning coffee. Clean restrooms,showers and laundry. Dump stations if need and a service to come to your rig to collect waste if you don't want to move it. Local shops just minutes from campgrounds. Walmart and other bigger shops just a short drive away! Scenic Willride on 44-55 to Mohonk House and trails. We be going back.

Best Small Camping in Catskills

KENNETH was a smaller campground that felt perfect for us. Private sites (not all, but many), clean bathrooms & showers and very friendly staff. There is no swimming currently on the lakes, but you can rent canoes/kayaks to fish or paddle around. The views from the day-use area is fantastic. We camped there for 4 nights a few weeks ago and we enjoyed all aspects.

Inside the park are four very easy hiking trails all around 1 mile in length. All of them were pleasant trips, especially the nature trail and blue trail. As you walk along the trails you constantly see or pass over the old rock walls that can be found throughout the Catskills.

Weekdays, the park was at a low capacity, weekends definitely picked up, but it was still very quiet and never loud beyond 10pm. Great place to visit and we shall definitely return.

I was hoping for something nicer

I think its an ok place, they seem to really care about the campground but oursite was like sitting in an open spot on display. Call them up and ask for their help choosing something that offers privacy. The bath house was clean but they have pay showers….really for the price you pay. To camp.  It is convenient to mt graylock. We had a water hookup and gray water dry well.  I dont think i would stay there again.

A beautiful new (only 10 years old) campground

On the banks of the Hudson River close to Albany & Troy. Large sites with power hookups. There is water available to fill your fresh water tank along the main road. The bath houses are very clean and used for emergency shelter for bad weather. And this is quiet! I can't say enough good things - the best campground I ever stayed at!

Great for beginners

The camp is set up in a “blank slate, parking lot” type style, with a big field, center for tent camping or to be used for sports or other activities. There’s a “lazy river” at one side and a small RV village on the other, and tent sites with water or dry tent camping. Restrooms are available with hot and cold running water, showers and toilets.

Great Spot!

Big and spacious state park with many camping options. Has options for trailers, tent sites, platforms for tents and even some cabins. Small store in park that sells firewood and ice and a few other things you may need. Big lake with swimming and boating as well as many hiking trails. Bathrooms on site as well as showers. Some sites are close together, but there are a few a little more secluded and set back. Fire pits are great. Can’t wait to camp here again!

Not worth the trip

Stayed here on my way to and from Littleton NH KOA (wonderful place). Sites are crowded, uneven and trashy. Staff is indifferent, not really rude, but not very helpful. Although I had made reservations for both nights, they only had the first, and only a no-show let me have a site. Try someplace else!

"The Whip"

Found this great campground 2 years ago while looking for a seasonal to retire my 1994 Georgie boy cruisemaster too. It has everything you are looking for in a campground. Pool , private 6 acre lake, playground, gameroom, camp store , pavilion area, full hookup sites ,pull throughs, tent sites , pump out service , pump out area. All for a reasonable prices. And it's family run , so it still hasn't got caught up in that corporate campground mentality.

Great for kids

On the expensive side but great activities for the kids. Nice pools, water park and clean campgrounds.

Small and chill! I love this place.

This campground is a secret gem. They have new bathrooms/showers and family bathrooms. There's a playground, a pavilion, they do fireside jams. I wish they'd bring back open mic! The staff is friendly, the firewood is reasonable and there's a Stewarts about 10 minutes away for other supplies.

Great Family Campground

this is a nice place to camp with little ones. Tons of activities for the little ones. they are strict with quiet time. maybe a little to strict, once the kids were finally asleep it was quiet time at we were told to basically go to bed too. lol

Very nice

Nice campground with wooded sites, a rec hall, pool and small fishing pond. They have a large field for play with basketball and volleyball and even had entertainment Saturday night. Gorgeous area to explore and hike. Would definitely come back.

Ranger Review of GCI at Brookside Campground

Ranger review: GCI at Brookside Campground

CAMPGROUND REVIEW We ended up at this campground because the family we were traveling with needed to accommodate their 50 foot camper. As a rule of thumb- I try to visit as little RV parks as I can, but we were trying to find somewhere that would accommodate both of our needs.

While it is true that this campground does specialize in large groups and is one of the only places in the area that will host a rig as big as my uncles, that was about the only thing it had going for it.

Grounds were dilapidated. It was like they had too much to handle. The lawn was overgrown at our site, the bathrooms were always in need of something… it was just a glorified trailer park.

I will say that the spots were spacious, particularly pertaining to tent sites. However- the brook that the campground is named after is mostly stagnant. So prepare for an abundance of mosquitos!

Another perk is the location. It was really nice to be right near The Catskills. However, I will most definitely be taking advantage of the smaller and quieter campgrounds around.

Would recommend for: people with big rigs. Large groups with children. The sports “complex” and pool actually looked very nice and well maintained. There were kids everywhere.

RANGER REVIEW ON… GCI OUTDOOR CHAIRS

So if you’ve been keeping up with my ranger reviews, you know I am always very pleasantly surprised by the things I’ve gotten the opportunity to test out that I never knew I needed. Camping Chairs were actually on my list of things to acquire this year for our trips, so I was psyched (as usual) when I found out GCI Outdoors would be what I got to check out.

I purchased the “Eazy” chair and the Roadtrip Rocker.

So first, the Eazy chair. It’s a good looking chair that comes packed away in a pouch that slings over your shoulder. It’s pretty heavy, but we happened to be car camping this time around so that wasn’t a big deal. The arm rests are sturdy, the chair is comfortable to sit in.

The Roadtrip rocker I was really excited about. And the thing is pretty awesome. The patented hydrolics is pretty nifty and it’s really neat how it works. I was surprised to find that it packed so easily into its sack, and has a sling so that you can carry it where you need to go.

Grab your own here:

Super friendly family run campground

Great place that’s about 50/50 permanent sites and rentals. They have lots to do, the owners are very friendly and accommodating, the campground is one of the quietest we’ve ever stayed at, both at night and in the morning. There are many pull through sites, lots of wooded sites, and open areas for kids to play. We were impressed by how they didn’t cram extra sites into these areas, though there is plenty of room. Electric, water, and septic hookups were all modern and in great shape.

Neighborhood Camping

A clean and for the most part quiet camp spot. However it is near an electrical plant that has a hum all day & night—makes for great white noise when sleeping.

There is a road that seems to house construction vehicles that were busy going by early evening and early morning.

The park is great if you are traveling and need to pull off the interstate to rest your head and get a shower. The bathrooms were very clean.

The staff were all incredibly nice and helpful. I felt safe in this campground.

The photos people posted are deceiving as they are taken from other places and not right in the campsite.

I would stay here again when passing through but would not make it a multi day stay.

Peace and Quiet

Stayed in a campsite near the road and the brook. It was clean and quiet. The road was right next to the site, but most drivers were respectful and drove slow.

The bathrooms and showers were phenomenal. A treat at the end of the day to take a shower before crawling in.

I appreciated that this state park had pockets of campsites and group sites. We were not all in one place.

The weekdays seem quieter than the weekends.

Great spot not too far from NYC

clean bathrooms and hot water showers. great view of the lake. kayaking. close to excellent day hikes.

Our FAVORITE!

Truly one of the best spots for Westchester/ Putnam campers! Clean, private, and tons of things to do! Hiking and fishing are great, and campers are incredibly friendly! We’ve been there 4 out of our last 6 trips…. never disappointed!