Camping in Bates

333 Reviews of 233 Bates, New York Campgrounds

Carolyn W.
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2021

Weekend getaway

I was a bit worried about how the rangers....some reviews were negative mainly due to the rangers. But we had a great time and rangers/ campers were nice and respectful. Wish we could have more tents/car on site.

g
Reviewed Jun. 10, 2021

Very nice lake with dispersed sites

Was able to tent fairly close to the lot. No cell service. If you bring a handsaw youll be good for firewood. Bugs were pretty bad. Awesome sunrise.

JThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Jun. 7, 2021

Clean and scenic

Went there this weekend. The site was clean and the pond area was very scenic. Not too rowdy neighbors which was a plus for us

SiteG158
Guy M.
Reviewed Jun. 2, 2021

PeekaMoose should be renamed Tic-a-Moose

Peekamoose is a very nice place if you’re into the primitive thing. I suppose it’s my fault for not doing my due diligence. I was in the lower area and had to walk pretty far with everything and make at least 6-8 trips for each load-in and out. I went and bought a wagon after the first day to carry…

• path through our site 2
  • very rough terrain for the wagon
VThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Good for a weekend getaway

Site F -90- there is a slope on the site with limited privacy. I suggest avoiding this site but there are quite a few other sites that looked nice and a stream flowing through.

SiteF90
Raj T.
Reviewed May. 30, 2021

Giant Ledge Camp Site

Best site in Catskills, sunrise and sunset

Robert M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 28, 2021

Hope they can upgrade it

I used to live in the area and never realized this place was here. We came across it accidentally. Passport America you can get it for $25 a night cash. There's a few old campers lying about ( talk of removal ) and a handful of weekend campers. The owner Scott is very friendly and knowledgeable.…

• Off of Glasco Turnpike onto kings hyway. As you can see, 35 foot would be the limit.
  • Entrance to New Life
  • Bathrooms
KThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 27, 2021

Awesome location!

Shawangunk was SUCH a nice place to stay. So many good things - though a few things to keep in mind when you're booking, too.

I definitely recommend trying to get the walk-in (meaning you can't drive to them) sites (8-15) because they're just a little bit more set back and kind of wonderfully…

Perrin M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 24, 2021

Superb

Quiet, clean enough and well worth the price. Showers are hot and there’s great water pressure. The cleanliness of the bathrooms depends on how busy the campground is.

SiteP31
Perrin M.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 17, 2021

Wonderful staff

Wonderfully kind staff, peaceful campsites and great hiking. Don’t expect much from the bathroom and shower situation.

LThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 9, 2021

great

great spot for weekend or week long camping, it’s nice out there a bunch of hiking to do!

Month of VisitOctober
Jeremy C.
Reviewed May. 9, 2021

Camping made easy

Very clean facilities and was able to have firewood delivered directly to the site.

Caleb J.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed May. 1, 2021

I didn't know what to expect.

I love hiking and camping. However the descriptions of this place in reviews here and elsewhere provided very little info and once I got out to the trail realized how different it was to what I expected. It is a near vertical hike the first mile with 90% or more being over rock gardens. Not some…

NThe Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Apr. 29, 2021

A peaceful weekend

We had a wonderful weekend of peace and quiet. Definitely returning!

J   G.The Dyrt PRO User
Reviewed Apr. 28, 2021

Woodland Valley = hiking <3

Make sure you consult your maps when hiking in this area. We mistakenly took the long loop. Enjoyed this area. Nice mountain rage with the sound of water in the background.

• Sound of the creek at night