Tierra Amarilla, NEW MEXICO

Camping New Mexico Tierra Amarilla
Most Recent Tierra Amarilla Camping Reviews
Sweet camping spot

It’s a great place to camp. The scenery beautiful. Great place to hike, bike and ride atv’s. Bring water cause sometimes their isn’t any. Fishing is great but usually is a little windy only at lake.

Absolutely Stunning Views

Truly fantastic view go along with this campsite. The sites are fairly primitive but the location is one of the greatest around. It’s a decent drive up here from Taos but you won’t be disappointed once you get here. The trail down to the confluence of the Red River and the Rio Grand is steep and gravel.

Super quite location

My wife and I just spend two days at this RV resort. Its attached to the Ojo Caliente Spa Resort. The spaces only had eletric and water. The eletric and water outlets where placed in an odd location for the site and a dumb station is available for extra $20. One thing we both noticed about the RV park was how quite it was at night. No campfires in the RV park but the spa area had a big fire pit lit every night and where there so many of the RV community hung out there. It gave us a chance to meet our neighbors and talk traveling. We spent one whole day at the spa and was given a discount on its entrance price while staying at the RV park. There is also a great restaurant on site. We where traveling in a 34 foot 5th wheel. Cell service is spotty.

Just far enough from town

Great spot to stay outside Pagosa 10 minute drive to town and 3 minutes to forest service access. Wifi is ok for phones but not the greatest for streaming the further you get from the office the weaker it gets no cell service in the canyon for Verizon either. If you're looking to disconnect and can do with the lack of service get the riverside spots. Staff is very friendly and helpful, they have a food truck onsite which makes it easy if you dont want to cook for a night. The laundry and bathrooms are super clean and the upkeep of the park is nice as well. Some sites share a water shut off so make sure you dont cut off the next sites water while packing up.

Breathtaking!

My family has been camping here since before I was born. I grew up here. My cousins and I built a rock damn across the river and I cought my first fish here. My children now get to enjoy this piece of majic. It is truly a wonderful place.

Beautiful and private

Very nice little campsites, a couple different lakes in the area. Only one outhouse by one of the lakes, the rest dont have any. Dirt roads on the way in, 4 wheel drive recommended but my kia made it without it. Roads do get bad when it rains so check the weather before! No water or trashcans but I did have cell service with t mobile. Overall a very secluded and quite site and a great little escape!

Shaded spots, right on the Conejos

Very nice campground. Lots of shade and lots of space between sites. Fishing along the river within the campground. Trash receptacles, water and bathrooms available. Nice little day use area right next to the river.

Lots of amenities

Nice, clean privately owned campground with lots of amenities. Hot showers, bath house, ice and few supplies sold in the office. Campsites right along the river. Very friendly staff. Campsites are a little too close for our liking but worked out well for our stay. Close to lots of fishing and hiking in the area. Beautiful place to watch the sunset and the stars at night. Nice and quiet at night.

Unusually Quiet

I did a fair amount of research online regarding walk-in tent camping at Heron Lake, during the week. See the great maps and detail at https://newmexicostateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/heron-lake/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NM&parkId=430012 . I called the visitor center to confirm that being a walk-in would not be a problem during the week. Once one arrives as a walk-in, look for the campsites with a green tag on them.

The Heron Lake camp sites shown at the above reserveamerica website all have a fair amount of trees for shade. What the reserveamerica site does not show is a few more Heron Lake campgrounds southwest along Highway 95 (beyond the dam). The southwesterly sites are way more exposed to the sun than the first four campgrounds. Otherwise, the southwesterly campgrounds have fine views of the lake.

I was at Island View campground, in a loop that was convoluted enough that I do not think a trailer (with its inevitable noisy generator) could get in. I guess that this is the point. As a result, all I heard from time to time were muffled voices and no generators. It's the first tent spring-summer-fall camping I have enjoyed in years that was generator-free. I had at least one empty campsite on either side of me as an additional buffer to noise.

I walked along the lakeshore. It did not seem that low. I saw large fish jumping in one cove. I hiked the Salmon Run Trail to the dam. The Salmon Run Trail is a beautiful hike, not all level but not too steep for this older person's knees and walking poles. On the lake side of the dam, walking along the highway to get a good look at the dam, I saw several schools of large fish.

The vault bathrooms and the flush-toilet bathrooms were fine. Not super clean and not super dirty. I did not try the shower but it looked like people were using it.

This time of year, bring some bug repellent or wear jeans and a light long sleeve shirt at night. New Mexico has had a lot of moisture this season, so I think the bug-giness is higher than usual. Still, I sat outside and read for an hour or so pretty comfortably.

The camp host was lovely.

Good

Wish that it were a little cheaper and maybe a bit fatter from the road but it is a nice spot right in the river and has amenities.

Mature trees, beautiful property, soaking, hiking

I would have given this property 5 stars but they’ve become unfriendly to families. Children under 13 are not allowed in the hot springs.

The camping area is more of a campground than an RV park, in a positive way. Many of the sites are shaded with mature trees. A river runs by the edge of the campground (It can’t be seen from most sites).

Hike or mountain bike right from your campsite. No open flames are permitted but there’s a community campfire by the main lodge.

There’s an amazing restaurant on the property. Yoga is available in the yurt.

Dispersed Lakeside sites

Down HWY 322, there are 3 primitive sites along side the El Vade Lake. Well marked and easy to find. No facilities. First come first serve, but we didn't see a soul the whole weekend. Sites aren't well established, so you will have to clear a spot. Road is pretty rough and narrow. There is a walk to the lake with no paths. Lots of weeds and plants that will stick to you and your pups. Little shade available. Make sure to grab a permit and have cash - cost is $10 a night per car.

Typical desert lake

Heron Lake has several campgrounds with most sites being first come first serve. Most sites have a lake view. There is a good walking distance to the water and very little shade. Lots of wildlife here! We saw deer, coyotes and bear droppings. Sites are kinda spaced out, have benches, fire rings and cost $10 a night per car. We came with intentions of paddle boarding but it was way too windy! It can get crowded on the weekends, but you'd have the place all to yourself during the week.

Quiet

It is a small quiet Campground.  Large level sites.  Owners dogs Ron free.

Peaceful getaway

We stayed here over the Easter Holiday. We were on Lot 2 in the Willow creek section. For $14, we had f/u hook-ups. I think Lot 1 & 2 are the only lots with full hook ups. I didn't use the facilities, so I can comment on those. Our campsite was big enough for our rig and a tent. We had picnic table (made of concrete, so you can move it) Firepit (don't know if they sell wood, because we couldn't find anyone working or a camp host) We basically had the park to ourselves. We did take a couple of hikes. One was to the lake, which was sadly almost empty. There was very spotty Verizon cell phone and dish satellite. There is not much of a town, so make sure you're fueled up and have all your camping provisions. I would like to try and stay here again, maybe in the summer. Elevations are up there 7000 ft, so I think it would be nice and cool.

A Beautiful Spot

This is a truly beautiful spot to camp. A large campsite with enough spots for 3 to 4 RVs plus several tenting spots less than 10' from the water.

Great camping!

The best site at Wild Rivers. 850 feet above the gorge. This is where the magic happens, beautiful moonrise’s and sunrise, sunsets. clean wasteland clean bathrooms. I camp here as often as I can.

Reservoir Camping

The site is like a number of other campgrounds we have seen that were created alongside county or state reservoirs. The campground is in a good location in Northwest New Mexico. We ended up staying an extra night here due to the amazing sunsets as well as the peace and quite. They have self checkin and well maintained pit toilets. The camp was about half full on the weekend in August. Each site had some shade and privacy depending on location. The exterior sites on our loop had a great western view to see the sunsets. The water level of the reservoir was very low and some campers were trying their luck at fishing. The have a couple of stores a few miles outside the camp with limited supplies. The roads are well maintained gravel and the sites all a bit uneven if you have a trailer or van. We took the dirt road southwest to exit the park. This was a mistake the road is very rough and requires a high clearance vehicle and 4x4 after rain. We were pulled over by local reservation police who were looking for poachers. The seemed to be overzealous tribal police pulling people over for no reason on a public road. It made for an interesting morning. I would give this a try if you need a short stay site on you way somewhere

Very nice.

I came up from the south on a motorcycle. Strong wind out of the west. The rock formation blocked the wind then I saw the campground sign. Great place to stay. Drinking water, tables, and fantastic views.

Cant wait to go back!

When it doesnt snow on us anyway.. but the weather was good for long soaks in the awesome hot springs. Camping area was nice, large spots, in close proximity to the springs. We had a great time, the facilities are great, and everything was awesome besides the weather. But you cant win em all. Photos show us waking up to snow one morning. Still - We cant wait to go back and visit again!

Secluded and stunning

Great place! Many options for camping. We chose a secluded site and the only people we saw were kayakers. There are hiking spots, the echo amphitheater, and a monastery to visit. We even made objects from the clay in the river. Then fired them in the camp fire.

Campground and pickwick area

Nice old forest service campground, dirt roads and pickwick tables. A older but clean heated rest room with hot and cold running water. Water at handicap camp site, but it is turned off now as weather is cool.

Awesome campsite near O’keefe territory

Great campground sitting up from the lake with awesome views. Free showers, several loops, tents separate from RVs- what more could you ask for! There is lake access nearby and some nice hiking trails, but to be honest, the main attraction is Abiqueu and Goergia O’Keefe country. Tons of great hiking to places she hiked to and painted. The campground is just a few miles from the town of Abiqueu, which was O’Keefe’s main home. Be sure to stop in and visit with the librarian, she’s a great resource for information about the area. And the gas station at the bottom of the hill has a pretty good restaurant! Sites don’t have any trees, but the sage provides a bit of protection from the winds. Be sure to stake your tent well as it gets very breezy in the daytime (winds die down with the sun set). One of the nicest amenities (besides the free showers) were the lantern hooks/posts. You just don’t see those very often. Camper beware, the tent only loop is next to the group campsites, so expect some noise.

Beautiful setting where Georgia O'Keefe Painted

While many say that Georgia O’Keefe owned Ghost Ranch, that’s not true. She actually only owned 7.5 acres of the large ranch. The whole ranch has been turned into a top notch facility with campgrounds and motel rooms, horses for rent, classes, and great hiking. The campground is large with several interconnecting loops. There aren’t many trees, but the sites are not on top of each other so there is a semblance of privacy. Showers and laundry are available in the campground. It's pretty nice that this campground is pretty much open year round, and even better with tents and RV's kept separate. There are some great hiking trails heading out of the campground as well as from other parts of the ranch. Stop in the visitors center to get a map of trails and some advice about what to hike and when (don’t plan on any mid-day hikes as it is just too hot).

campground is ok, trails are cool, hotsprings way nice (but not 'nature')

The campground is okay- more trees than the landscape shots in my pictures. You're paying quite a premium to wake up at the hot springs (that part is a full-on resort). I did have a nice frosty trail run out along a frozen pond and then up the hill to the archeological sites a little to the west- really interesting. In terms of the camp, I was disappointed that the only other vehicle to roll into the campground that night parked at the site right next to mine - shining headlights into my tent and running a generator all hours. It would be nice to designate tent and RV sections of the campground to avoid such issues. All that said, when I met the inhabitants of the RV in the morning, they turned out to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. The hot springs are a treat and I'm happy to sleep cheap and soak all day.

Breathtaking Views

this campground is a gem. We stayed 1 night in a non electric site then 4 nights in a site with electricity and water. The views were awesome. It was peaceful and quiet. Good hiking opportunities. The two camp hosts were great! Restrooms and showers were good.

Good Park. Great Location. Fantastic Service

It started with a great experience booking the site. We were making some last-minute travel plans, and the PRC folks helped us find a perfect site on short notice. We travel in a tiny teardrop trailer, and the site they picked couldn’t have been better. (More on that shortly.)

When we arrived, the staff greeted us, checked us in, and led us to our site. They showed us where all the amenities were, and left us to get set up. Our site (33) was perfect for a small to mid-size trailer, with beautiful trees, a nice fire ring, and a picnic table.

The property has a nice pond, with sites that line one side of it. But the real beauty here is that the San Juan River sits on the back of the property. We love to fish, so we stopped in a local fly shop, picked up some flies and fishing licenses, and caught a 10-inch rainbow back at the campground. (They also sell flies and fishing tackle in the campground store.)

The bathrooms and showers were nice and clean, and since we don’t have a bathroom in our trailer, we were happy to have them. They also had a nice clean laundry room with several washers and 2 large dryers.

This feels very much like a campground that’s been in the family for years. Sure, it’s not all new and shiny, but the staff (and there are quite a few of them) work hard to make PRC a great place to stay.

Great place to watch the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Train

Rio Chama RV park in Chama, New Mexico, is at the intersection of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad and the upper Rio Chama. A nice place to stay May 1 thru mid October. The train passing by twice a day is an exciting event and it's a short walk to the train yard.

Pull through sites have great shade and full hookups with 30 or 50 amp electrical service. Spacious tent sites with full service restrooms nearby. Pet friendly with dog park and free wifi. A great place for fishing, train watching and relaxing.

Beautiful views and a relaxing environment.

The Last Resort is a lovely RV Park and campground on the Blanco River off Highway 84 between Chama, New Mexico and Pagosa Springs, Colorado. There are full RV hook ups in the loop and partial hook up by the river. The Bunk House is a small cabin with a queen bed and electricity. Many great tent camping sites. There is a nice Bathhouse with a full kitchen, bathrooms with showers and a coin operated washer/dryer. They are open year round, free wifi and pets welcome. There is a small store with ice, sodas, snacks, fishing tackle, RV supplies, and toiletries.

This is our 3rd summer at the Last Resort. It's a very laid back place with 2 playgrounds and plenty of activities for kids - horse shoes, volleyball, tether ball, etc. They have a nice 4th of July celebration, potluck dinners and camp fires. There are often horses (and a goat) on the property and plenty of space to take a nice walk. This year, we saw a lot of Canada geese and there are also chickens and ducks. We really love watching the many hummingbirds and hanging out by the river. Lots of campers like to fish or float down the river on inner tubes.

Well maintained, beautiful and friendly hosts make for a wonderful place to stay.

Great night sky

Easy access. Great rates. Not far from town. Quiet. Gorgeous night view.