the dyrt
National Park Service
No Phone Service
No Showers
No WiFi
Wheeler Peak - Great Basin National Park is located in Great Basin National Park in Nevada
5 Reviews of Wheeler Peak - Great Basin National Park

Breathtaking location with a lot of wildlife and space between campgrounds

Solitude at its Finest and Beautiful Views of Wheeler Peak & the Night Sky

Quietest campground Ive ever been .. Friendly and likeminded campers. Only one downfall is that alot sites are not level but dont let that detour you. Cleanest pit toliets ever. Great Basin National Park is a great place for solitude, hiking, touring Lehman Cave, and stargazing. We spent 3 nights camped at 10,000 ft with lows in the 40s and fall colors starting to pop!

Wonderful High Country Campground

The Wheeler Peak campground is a primitive campground up a steady and steep road in Great Basin National Park. If you are heading here I would do several things at the last major city you come to. 1)Buy all the food you will need. 2) Buy TP 3)Gas up the vehicle. You are literally in the middle of nowhere with a few small towns close buy but nothing really accessible to the park if you need supplies. Also, if you are going to go to this campground, bring your cold weather gear even in summer. You are really high up and it does get chilly at night.

When I was here the park rangers told me it was full and that driving all the way to the top was just for the vies. When I got to the top, it wasn't close to being full and I got a really nice spot next to a stream. I say this so that you check the sites yourself instead of word of mouth. It is a first come first serve campground so you never know how things will turn out. The sites themselves are great! I had a level spot to set my tenet up on and there was a table and fire ring. I was told you can collect firewood here that is on the ground but I would check with the rangers first. The bathrooms are a pit toilet and they have no showers. I would definitely do the bristlecone hike up even if you are short on time. It is well worth the time and adventure.

3 day trip

My girlfriend and I wanted a nice quite camping trip in the woods. Being from las vegas you don't get a lot of trees. We went online and found wheeler peak in the great basin national park. We loved every second we spent there!

PERFECT

This high elevation camp provided great access to trails, beautiful viewpoints, and even a small creek! This was one of the best campground that we have ever stayed in and we have stayed in almost 20 National Parks!