the dyrt
About Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park
National Park Service
Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park is located in Great Basin National Park in Nevada
10 Reviews of Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park
Upper Lehman

Out of the way and many opportunities for isolated reflection. Beautiful location next to a creek. The National Park staff does a great job and better taken care of than the National Forest Campsites in White Pine County.

Great campsite next to the river!

Approximately 24 campsites next to Lehman Creek, first come fIrst served. Many are next to the creek but all can hear it. Deer everywhere, lots of vegetation and many of the sites are shaded. The cleanest vault toilets I’ve every seen. Very quiet and peaceful.

Hidden Gem

I love this place! It is a HIDDEN GEM. There are caves, glaciers, alpine lakes, Bristlecone pine trees….it's incredible. It feels like such a secret treasure in Nevada. The stars are amazing at night time! And another highlight…there are barely any people here! It is a quiet place with no crowds. It feels like a more "wilderness" experience for a National Park. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I loved camping here. I am itching to come back!

Accessible and beautiful

This campsite is located within Great Basin National Park. Each site offers a different natural setting, with plenty of space for a couple of tents, a campfire, picnic tables, and easy access to restrooms and drinking water. It's nestled between babbling brooks, with serene sounds of nature and wildlife.

Fun

Enjoyable sites right next to the creek. Lots of space between sites. Clean outhouses.

An Oasis!

I had a perfect long weekend camping at Upper Lehman Campground on August 11-14. After arriving at Great Basin National Park a little before noon on Friday, I had a handful of nice sites to choose from, a rarity in the national park system these days. I settled on site #21 and I couldn't have asked for a better site. Impeccably clean, far enough off the road to not get flashed with headlights, and the perfect distance from the pit toilets. There was also a water pump close by, and a fire pit on the site.

Every morning, I'd wake up to several mule deer moseying through camp and a family of turkeys. The park itself is gorgeous and a hidden gem. I enjoyed the Cave Tour and my strenuous, but rewarding hike to Wheeler Peak. There was a nice astronomy program about the Perseid Meteor Shower, but it was best viewed from the perfect clearing I had amongst the aspens of my camp site.

I will return to Great Basin many more times in the near future!

Hard to reach but even harder to leave - a hidden gem in the national parks.

Great Basin is one of the less-visited national parks, but when we visited during the annual Astronomy Festival in September, we knew we might have a little more trouble finding a campsite inside the park. None of the campgrounds in Great Basin are reservable ahead of time. We aimed to camp at Upper or Lower Lehman Creek Campgrounds, located near the entrance of the park, and after driving through the lower campground with no luck, we snagged the last site at Upper Lehman Creek. The sites here are nicely spread out and nestled in plenty of vegetation, and we had no issues with noise even though we camped on what might be the busiest weekend in Great Basin.

Like most other national park campgrounds, Upper Lehman Creek provided just the basic amenities: flush toilets, water, and picnic tables. We’d gladly take this rustic setting over other over commercialized campgrounds.

Although Great Basin takes a lot of work to access -- it truly is in the middle of nowhere -- this park is a hidden gem. We especially enjoyed climbing Wheeler Peak (the second-highest point in Nevada), walking among the Bristlecone trees (the oldest trees in the world), taking the tour of Lehman Caves, and attending various activities at the Astronomy Festival. There’s little sense of being “on the beaten path” anywhere here, but if you want to get even further away from people, the Johnson Lake/Baker Lake 11-mile loop trail was also a great loop hike.

The only downside, besides being located in the middle of nowhere, is that sites at Upper Lehman Creek campground are not reservable, so be sure to arrive early enough in the day to grab a site, especially if you are visiting during peak weekends.

You can read much more about our four days in the park on our blog: Switchback Kids (Great Basin)

sweet spot - hard to get to

After driving us 50 across NV this spot was a great place for a good nights sleep. Camped here while driving to visit family in CO and wish I had more time to explore the hiking. I had a friend who was a NPS ranger at this park who couldn’t recommend it enough and had to check it out. Definitely worth the stop. My campsite was near the creek with a picnic table and fire ring. It was pretty standard for a campground though the park it’s in is awesome. Drove up to check out the views of wheeler peak before driving on to CO.

Peaceful forest oasis in the Nevada desert

I camped here as the first night of a two week western states road trip after a long drive across the Loneliest Road in America (Hwy 50 across NV). After hundreds of miles of desert this beautiful forested spot was a true oasis! When I arrived the camp host was there to greet me and help me pick a prime spot for my tent close to Lehman creek. This campground is first come first serve which was a bit frightening as I drove 10 hrs across Nevada with no other backup plans. The site was forested, clean and had a picnic table and fire ring. The campground had bathrooms but no showers. The campsite was fairly private with not too many other campers. There were a few trails leading from the campsite, but I did not use them. The next morning I drove up towards Wheeler Peak. The views were incredible and it reinforced how amazing this little park truly is. I hiked a part of the Bristlecone trail but had to turn around when a lightning storm got a bit too close for comfort. I saw deer and plenty of birds along the way. If I had more time I would have loved to make it to the bristlecones as they are such a rare and unique tree. While this park is difficult to reach from any direction it is quite a little forest paradise and this campground is definitely recommended.

Peaceful camping

After being on the loneliest freeway for the day (us50), what a delightful surprise. We camped in Upper Lehman creek. The sound of the creek lulled us to sleep.