About Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park
National Park Service
No Electric Hookups
Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park is located in Great Basin National Park in Nevada
13 Reviews of Upper Lehman - Great Basin National Park
Better than expected

I was apprehensive after reading reviews for this campground about how unlevel the sites were. We travel and sleep in our 17 foot van without leveling blocks so we need a level site. Yes, some were not level (but many of those were tent sites) but we found many that were just fine! Site 1 was very level (and could accommodate a large RV). Probably the cleanest pit toilets I have ever seen! Many sites had lots of privacy between them. We were there at the end of April so many roads and hiking trails were not yet open so we toured Lehman Caves which I highly recommend (reserve ahead of time at Recreation.gov). All tours were booked for a Monday in April (when we booked day before, there were still plenty of openings). Limited or no cell service.

Better than expected

Up Up Upper Lehman...keep on climbing!

Sitting at about 7750 feet within Great Basin National Park, this small campground offers glorious views of the surrounding mountains. Each site has 1-2 huge picnic tables, fire pit and grill, and many have tent pads. The campground is well-maintained and the pit toilets are kept stocked and immaculately clean. We visited in late April and the water in the campground was not yet turned on for the season (though there is an active stream running through the campground, so you can filter water). The Lehman Caves Visitor Center also has drinking water available.

One issue to note is that most of parking pads are not very level (to help with snow melt) in the upper campground, so it made it quite challenging to level our little camper -- probably the most challenging over the past 6.5 years! But, we got it leveled and had plenty of sun for our solar panel in site 10. Lots of trees between sites offer a good deal of privacy, too.

Because of the big winter in 2019, the scenic road was not yet open, so we walked up it for a few miles to enjoy some long range views of the desert valley (Great Basin) below. The road is an 8% grade, so be ready to expand those lungs at 8000 feet! We also went on a challenging snowshoe hike up the Lehman Creek trail, which starts right from the campground.  The jewel of this park during the off/shoulder season is Lehman Cave, with fun ranger-led tours starting right from the visitor center.

This park is truly in the middle of nowhere, with almost no development (yay!!) close to the entrance. What that means is that you need to come prepared with groceries and supplies as not much is available in the tiny hamlet of Baker, which is about 6 miles from the campground. There is a tiny café by the Visitor Center if you need it, too.

Campsites are first-come, first-served and you can use a credit card or cash to make your payment. Not much service in the park as a whole, but we could get a call out if need be.

Upper Lehman

Out of the way and many opportunities for isolated reflection. Beautiful location next to a creek. The National Park staff does a great job and better taken care of than the National Forest Campsites in White Pine County.

Great campsite next to the river!

Approximately 24 campsites next to Lehman Creek, first come fIrst served. Many are next to the creek but all can hear it. Deer everywhere, lots of vegetation and many of the sites are shaded. The cleanest vault toilets I’ve every seen. Very quiet and peaceful.

Hidden Gem

I love this place! It is a HIDDEN GEM. There are caves, glaciers, alpine lakes, Bristlecone pine trees….it's incredible. It feels like such a secret treasure in Nevada. The stars are amazing at night time! And another highlight…there are barely any people here! It is a quiet place with no crowds. It feels like a more "wilderness" experience for a National Park. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I loved camping here. I am itching to come back!

Accessible and beautiful

This campsite is located within Great Basin National Park. Each site offers a different natural setting, with plenty of space for a couple of tents, a campfire, picnic tables, and easy access to restrooms and drinking water. It's nestled between babbling brooks, with serene sounds of nature and wildlife.

Fun

Enjoyable sites right next to the creek. Lots of space between sites. Clean outhouses.

An Oasis!

I had a perfect long weekend camping at Upper Lehman Campground on August 11-14. After arriving at Great Basin National Park a little before noon on Friday, I had a handful of nice sites to choose from, a rarity in the national park system these days. I settled on site #21 and I couldn't have asked for a better site. Impeccably clean, far enough off the road to not get flashed with headlights, and the perfect distance from the pit toilets. There was also a water pump close by, and a fire pit on the site.

Every morning, I'd wake up to several mule deer moseying through camp and a family of turkeys. The park itself is gorgeous and a hidden gem. I enjoyed the Cave Tour and my strenuous, but rewarding hike to Wheeler Peak. There was a nice astronomy program about the Perseid Meteor Shower, but it was best viewed from the perfect clearing I had amongst the aspens of my camp site.

I will return to Great Basin many more times in the near future!

Hard to reach but even harder to leave - a hidden gem in the national parks.

Great Basin is one of the less-visited national parks, but when we visited during the annual Astronomy Festival in September, we knew we might have a little more trouble finding a campsite inside the park. None of the campgrounds in Great Basin are reservable ahead of time. We aimed to camp at Upper or Lower Lehman Creek Campgrounds, located near the entrance of the park, and after driving through the lower campground with no luck, we snagged the last site at Upper Lehman Creek. The sites here are nicely spread out and nestled in plenty of vegetation, and we had no issues with noise even though we camped on what might be the busiest weekend in Great Basin.

Like most other national park campgrounds, Upper Lehman Creek provided just the basic amenities: flush toilets, water, and picnic tables. We’d gladly take this rustic setting over other over commercialized campgrounds.

Although Great Basin takes a lot of work to access -- it truly is in the middle of nowhere -- this park is a hidden gem. We especially enjoyed climbing Wheeler Peak (the second-highest point in Nevada), walking among the Bristlecone trees (the oldest trees in the world), taking the tour of Lehman Caves, and attending various activities at the Astronomy Festival. There’s little sense of being “on the beaten path” anywhere here, but if you want to get even further away from people, the Johnson Lake/Baker Lake 11-mile loop trail was also a great loop hike.

The only downside, besides being located in the middle of nowhere, is that sites at Upper Lehman Creek campground are not reservable, so be sure to arrive early enough in the day to grab a site, especially if you are visiting during peak weekends.

You can read much more about our four days in the park on our blog: Switchback Kids (Great Basin)