About Las Vegas Bay Camping
National Park Service
No Market
Las Vegas Bay Camping is located in Lake Mead National Recreation Area in Nevada
2 Reviews of Las Vegas Bay Camping
Las Vegas Bay Campground at Lake Mead Nat'l Recreation Area

The best parts of this campground is that there is cell service, restrooms, and an RV dump station. It's a very dry and sad campground, with no view of the lake as it has receded too far with the low lake levels. It used to be a convenient place to camp close to the Las Vegas Bay Marina. The marina is now closed to docking, but there is dry storage for watercraft. There are also day use facilities: Shaded picnic areas and public restroom. For a campground that doesn't remind you of a ghost town, try Boulder Beach Campground, just south of here.

Relaxing Space

Of the campgrounds I checked out in this area I found this one to be one of the nicer ones. Unlike some which had a lot of random garbage this one was well maintained and looked like those who stayed respected the area more.

Sites here were smaller than most but since I stay in a tent of course I had plenty space for my car and tent alike without struggle. I do not see this working well for longer rigs though that need a pull through that is much longer.

I had plenty of space between me and my neighbor and with some low level brush it stopped any of the brash winds from effecting me at night. I had a picnic table and fire ring, standard to most camping sites and that made for a perfect set up for me as I don't really need all that extra most of the time.

The weather was nice other than the wind when I was there so I didn't have any reason to need to plug anything in to keep cool but I do know I wouldn't even attempt to stay here after late May it just gets way to hot. Not to mention they do have a lot of snakes in this area when the heat gets to that point, so no thanks!

The night was quiet, I had read that there were a lot of coyotes but I heard none in the area instead only the sounds of someones RV making a humming noise a few sites over.

The bathrooms were well kept and there was water scattered throughout the campground which made it easy to access. My only complaint in regard to either of these was that the bathrooms did maybe need a bit of restock, but since I am always prepared that wasn't an issue. I would suggest also always being prepared!

TIPS:

• Don't leave trash at your site or food outside of your vehicle if you are in a tent. While I did not hear coyotes others have reported that not to be the case. Many times these animals are out because they smell food and are wanting to look for it.
  • Take advantage of lake views for great sunset pictures. I was so upset by the time I got to my campsite I had used all my battery and missed some of the best views of the day.
  • Check out hiking in this area. One of the best trails nearby is just a couple miles up at White Owl Canyon. It is marked on this map, however if you go and get a map from rangers you will not find the trail, this is because it is a wash area and is closed from time to time. Simply ask for directions to the trailhead when passing though the rangers station.