The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Hellen Creek Estates , MARYLAND

Most Recent Hellen Creek Estates Camping Reviews

Great campground hidden away in the city. Clean sites include table and fire pit. Restrooms were clean, closed daily for cleaning between 1 pm - 3 pm. Two showers were included but didn’t use it so not sure about pressure or heat. The ranger delivers firewood to your site within about 10-15 min of calling, which was very convenient. Cost was $5 for 8 logs. Dump station and trash were just outside of the loop. Site 6 was good but not for larger rigs. We have a pop up and had to navigate around a tree that would have been very difficult for larger rigs. Site 5 or 7 wouldn’t have that problem. Bring bug and tick spray - definitely need it! We hiked the brown trail and it was a nice walk. We have AT&T and had two bars pretty consistently. We would stay here again.

Perfect

We’re here for opening weekend and aside from the unseasonable cold this campground is nicely perfect for us. Sites are nicely sized and spaced out. Bathhouse is in very nice condition. Looking forward to the weekend warming up.

I love this place

Been going since a few months old, always stayed in Hoffman in a pop up. Tried greens loop 1 time in tent double site with 12 ppl that's a good loop if u want alot of sun. In recent years I've been staying in cabins they are all gone now. So we will be trying tents again until we get camper and can then do full hook up. I feel spiritually connected to this place met alot of out going staff and campers even daily beach go'ers. Use to spray for mosquitoes but havent seen trucks in a few years. Have a visitor center, peir, beach and lighthouse that was just renovated, and was open 1st sat of every month april through November. Use to have hay rides around Halloween and haunted trails or something but not in along time. June was blue and grey days civil war events. Fire wood $5 a box. Park store is open during summer and pandemic but not visitor center or store out by peir hasn't been in years but restrooms are. Has a boat launch and fish cleaning station. Dont get hurt takes fire a lifetime to respond 45 mins for broken leg but that was 20 years ago. But they oldschool respond to station then call but they doing the best all volunteer. Brush fire last year they were there in 10.

Cabin 24

Cabin 24 is a 2BR/1BA cinderblock cabin with waterfront views and large yard space. One room has two bunk beds, dresser, shelving, a lamp, and two night stands. Other room has a queen bed, shelving, a lamp, night stand, and dresser. Fireplace and screened in porch are lovely. There’s a fire pit and picnic table, and plenty of parking space.

More details on the cabin to follow!

Impressed

Spent Halloween here on a last minute reservation and man were we happy! This campsite is remote to the rest of VA for the most part, but hey isn’t that what camping is all about? Site #16 was perfect. It was gravel site that was level and very well maintained. Possibly our favorite campground in a VA State Park so far, it was that great of an experience. Come stocked with food and water since I don’t think there’s any large food markets that are close by (I could be wrong). We had water hookups and electric. They also have firewood sold at the campground that they sell on the honor system.

Dont go on the weekends

It is a really nice park but the weekends get extremely busy. The beach area especially. You might be able to have some space to yourself at the fossil beach (nice sharks teeth) but that can get busy too.

State Park Plus Beach

Basic state park, does have some extras like a beach, fishing pier and crabbing piers. Lots of people on the weekend but the weeks are nice. Piers attached to campground are nice but can also get crowded.

We had a fantastic time!

We had a fantastic time our 1st time at #AdventureBoundCampingResort in Lothian, Maryland. While at the campsite, we met a great guy from East Tennessee, Steve, who was in the Air Force, and he was as nice as could be. We had arrived after dark on Friday and Steve came over to offer to help with the tent setup but we wanted to do it all on our own in true “girl power” form! But after rethinking it, we decided to sleep in the car!!!! 😂 Next morning we arose to setup our sitewe had an absolutely wonderful time doing it .That is, until the rain came about 1am Sunday morning! It rained and rained and rained and rained and rained! Not only did it wake us, it started us thinking what we’d do with a WET TENT! I was going to stay another day just to let the tent dry out but, it’s going to rain all day into Monday. And then! My oldest granddaughter felt ill and had to be picked up by her mom! I was left with my two little munchkins, Michaela and Samaijah to take everything down — in the constant rain!!! Well, we decided to head over to Home Depot to get ponchos for us and McDonald’s for their promised pancake breakfast, then headed back to start the task of breaking down our camp site. With the help of my little munchkins, we packed everything up and loaded the car in no time. The only thing left was the wet tent! I decided to forego the folding and just gather it up and put it in a garbage bag just to get us home and out if the rain — that worked for them too!! They did a great job and were a true representation of the saying “little but mighty”! Steve and many of the long term campers were military and construction workers, in addition to senior citizens. Saturday night seems to be the neighbors party night so it was quite lively with music and laughter. This camp has electric and water at each site, clean toilet and shower facilities, playground and pool.

Nice quiet clean campground 30-40m from DC

Stayed here for 2w while visiting friends in Alexandria. Took me 25-30m to get there so you are far away from bustle of city but not so far that going in to enjoy breakfast or the sights is a feat. Nice and quiet here during winter more so during week than weekends.

Great for activities; not much privacy

Great if you’re looking for a quick escape from DC and with a lot of activities—paddling, hiking, and a 5 minute drive from Meadowood for mountain biking. I camped at the non-electric area and it was nice to play some disc golf across the street before dark. The hiking is nice—15 minutes on the trail to get to the water—and a quick walk to the marina/boat rentals.

Campsites are well-equipped, but depending on which you will not have privacy and/or enough flat space for more than 1 tent. Most sites are right next to each other and no trees or other natural separation, and some saw did not have much space for tents. I had 141 which was good; 138 was the best that I saw; and if you want to get 2 for a bigger group try to get 112/113.