the dyrt
Drive In, Walk In, Boat In
Westmoreland State Park is located in Virginia
7 Reviews of Westmoreland State Park
amazing place

I absolutely love this campground. The sites are pretty secluded, which is nice if you want to actually feel like you're out in nature.

The state park is located right on the potomac river, which is pretty cool. The best part is that you can actually find sharks teeth on the beaches here. When it rains, the teeth get washed out of the cliff (since this whole area used to be covered in ocean). My family has always loved coming here to look for sharks teeth on Fossil Beach.

The place also has great trails for walking, running, or hiking.

If you want to get away from the camp ground, the area is pretty cool to explore as well. George Washington's birthplace is near Westmoreland, so history buffs can find plenty to do.

Great campground!

Fossil beach

along the banks of the Potomac. great place, can find fossils and shark teeth on fossil beach. the sites are roomy and have pebble ground cover for pitching your tents. take an interpretive hike or rent a kayak. there’s a pool.

cramped n crowded camping but fun n activities galore!

I could not wait to get there! I was so excited to go fossil hunting! Camping was way too cramped for me as we tent camp and were stuck surrounded by RVs. The people next to us could be heard whispering! That being said, the fossil hunting was fun and my hubby found a few neat sharks teeth. The hiking was a blast and fishing was productive and fun! Next time though we will just day trip it as I never want to camp that closely to others again - ugh

Great State park

Great state park. great park with pool and lots of hiking.. great areas to swim in the bay and look for fossils. people were really nice and bathrooms were really clean. I will definitely be going back there again for a longer stay.. we only stayed one night because it was supposed to rain.

Camping with a Pool!

The best thing that is offered here is there is a pool! There are many amenities in addition. There are boat rentals, fishing, beach, docks, picnic areas, cabins, tent camping, rv camping, trail hiking, etc. The visitor center is large with a small gift shop/camp store. The group sites are very nice. The whole park is very well maintained and large. The cabins are clean and accommodating. The view from most cabins along the water are so nice. There are random exercise machines placed along trials to enhance workouts. My only gripe is the camp site pads. They're made of very loose gravel which I find bothersome as the little rocks get into our shoes and the tent stakes slid out easily.

Buddy site glory

This state park is one of the best in VA. With access to the Potomac River, beaches, shark tooth island (!), what seems like endless beautiful hiking trails and the cleanest camp grounds I have ever seen I would recommend everyone to visit this park. We took about 30 women camping here at the end of April and had the best time together. So thankful for state parks that are gorgeous and full of adventure!

Great Amenities

Westmoreland felt a little crowded at full capacity. Had to wait for restrooms and the beaches were well used. They did have great trails, a lot of scheduled events for all ages, a pool and boat rentals and competitive prices. Overall a round experience and enough to do to maintain an entire weekend.