Yurts
About Westmoreland State Park
Westmoreland State Park is located in Virginia
12 Reviews of Westmoreland State Park
Winter Trip

Went in March - when it still VERY cold, but had a wonderful time. The beaches and trails seem so much more peaceful and untouched this time of year. Definitely gets windy near the river. Nothing a big pot of camp soup or chili can’t help! Bath houses are heated which is amazing.

A Favorite ✨

I LOVE this park. The tent sites are awesome and mine have always been pretty private feeling despite being somewhat near others. Bathhouses are always SO clean and heated in the winter. So appreciate the recycling bins. I love the sharks’ teeth display in the shop and when I was there they were working on putting bones together of a whale that was found! At the time of my visit a couple of weeks ago there was a bit of algae in the water that could cause irritation to stomach and skin, so just be mindful of this. I did hike down to fossil beach but definitely avoided the water. If you’re anything like me, traveling for peace and quiet and solitude, I highly recommend Sunday and Monday nights if you have flexibility with jobs etc. It was SUPER quiet during my stay. Absolutely wonderful. Oh - and check for ticks and bring your bug spray. Gotta love humid Virginia summers!

Camping by the beach

I’ve been to Westmoreland a couple times to look far sharks teeth with my parents but I finally got to go camping and enjoy that park overnight the camp store is a good addition with out having to walk to far. They have a lot to do at Westmoreland and boy I mean like two nights isn’t long enough to even see half of it all I really liked this park and would like to go back some time next summer

Solid campground, amazing park!

Westmoreland State Park is a gorgeous park with amazing views of the Potomac River. The camping is pretty good too! The sites we have stayed at have all been super clean and close to bathrooms and water. They include a fire ring, picnic table and a hook for your trash. The bathrooms are clean and have hot showers. The site specific campsites are definitely better than the unspecified ones. A24 was a good campsite, very unique in terrain. You walk down a set of stairs from your car to the site. There's a 2 foot drop off the side of the campsite making it seem like your on the edge of the world, very cool!

Beautiful views! Amazing hiking! Go to NN Burger, if you need to leave the campground it is close by, yum!

Great Sites

Some of my friends and I tent camp while others RV. We had a nice set up, near each other. Gorgeous trail to the water.

amazing place

I absolutely love this campground. The sites are pretty secluded, which is nice if you want to actually feel like you're out in nature.

The state park is located right on the potomac river, which is pretty cool. The best part is that you can actually find sharks teeth on the beaches here. When it rains, the teeth get washed out of the cliff (since this whole area used to be covered in ocean). My family has always loved coming here to look for sharks teeth on Fossil Beach.

The place also has great trails for walking, running, or hiking.

If you want to get away from the camp ground, the area is pretty cool to explore as well. George Washington's birthplace is near Westmoreland, so history buffs can find plenty to do.

Great campground!

Fossil beach

along the banks of the Potomac. great place, can find fossils and shark teeth on fossil beach. the sites are roomy and have pebble ground cover for pitching your tents. take an interpretive hike or rent a kayak. there’s a pool.

cramped n crowded camping but fun n activities galore!

I could not wait to get there! I was so excited to go fossil hunting! Camping was way too cramped for me as we tent camp and were stuck surrounded by RVs. The people next to us could be heard whispering! That being said, the fossil hunting was fun and my hubby found a few neat sharks teeth. The hiking was a blast and fishing was productive and fun! Next time though we will just day trip it as I never want to camp that closely to others again - ugh

Great State park

Great state park. great park with pool and lots of hiking.. great areas to swim in the bay and look for fossils. people were really nice and bathrooms were really clean. I will definitely be going back there again for a longer stay.. we only stayed one night because it was supposed to rain.

Camping with a Pool!

The best thing that is offered here is there is a pool! There are many amenities in addition. There are boat rentals, fishing, beach, docks, picnic areas, cabins, tent camping, rv camping, trail hiking, etc. The visitor center is large with a small gift shop/camp store. The group sites are very nice. The whole park is very well maintained and large. The cabins are clean and accommodating. The view from most cabins along the water are so nice. There are random exercise machines placed along trials to enhance workouts. My only gripe is the camp site pads. They're made of very loose gravel which I find bothersome as the little rocks get into our shoes and the tent stakes slid out easily.