The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
University Place , LOUISIANA

Most Recent University Place Camping Reviews
Wanted to love it more. Flooding issues

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Stayed 2 nights in 35 foot RV+tow car at$31/night. We really wanted to like this park more than we did as it has great hiking trails, gorgeous natural setting, deer running around everywhere. But there seems to be a chronic flooding issue(not surprising for the location of course). All around our campsite was very flooded. And we saw other sites were the actual site had a few inches of standing water on it. Many of the hiking trails we could not do because of flooding. Even came back days later to try to hike after no rain and some parts were still flooded and very muddy. Staff at gate very friendly and helpful.

Primitive trip

Have visited twice. First visit, my original campsite was flooded and was able to switch to another site. Last trip was good but site 35 is very close to 33. The fire rings are within 30 feet of each other and can hear other campers talk, however the primitive sites were nice. They have about 4-5 trails, a splashpad, nature center and you can rent a canoe. Had alot of fun and is pet friendly.

Convenient & Fun!

We made an impromptu one night stop here and it was totally worth it! The resort is right off the interstate with a nice large gas station right next to it. We stayed on March 31 and it was quiet but I can imagine it gets busy in the summer. Our kids loved the lazy river. We stayed in site 202 and it was ideal as we have a class A and flat tow a Jeep and didn’t want to unhook for the one night. The site was a nice level concrete lot. The only downside on this trip was the store was closed for renovations and we did need some supplies. Nothing to ruin a trip though. Would definitely come back!

Great stop for NOLA sightseeing

This state park is really pretty, full of lush Spanish moss trees, hiking trails, and historic markers.(although finding out this was a plantation for 150 slaves was unpleasant).

It’s only 45 mins to New Orleans so it’s a great place to stop, drop, and sightsee for the day.

It had full hook ups available. Free WiFi even. The spots are level and concrete… and nicely spaced. There are picnic tables and grills available for use too.

Careful - when it rains, it floods.

Controlling park police!!

Would be a 3 star, started to do a 2 but I’m really irritated. Nice park with a little bit of hiking if it hasn’t rained much. Not much to do but it’s relaxing. Yeah water was is high but I just wanted to drive to the boat dock and check it out. He stopped me as I was driving into the parking lot and said rudely can I help you.!That was odd and unnerving (like I’m doing something wrong). I said I’m camping and I’m just checking out the boat ramp before I go eat. He through on a fake grin and said this area is closed you can turn around here thank you sir. I’m going to see what this truck is doing… I’m sure they were doing the same thing I was. It’s a state park. I hope he isn’t like that very often. He definitely had some issues but I don’t appreciate it messing up my evening. Put up a darn sign dude!! There are other places to explore so I’ll only be back if it’s convenient.

Grew up here

This is a beautiful place to bring a family. Stay for a week or just a weekend and enjoy every day. Fishing is great. Plenty of trails and board walks throughout the park. Every step brings you to a better site to see. Wildlife around each bend. Water splash pad for all to enjoy.

Loud

Small camping. It is right next to the interstate and a get off ramp. Constant sounds of traffic. This is a perfect camp site for migrant workers that travel. No for family

Excellent state park near Mandeville, LA.

Traveled in 44 foot motorhome and Jeep toad, this site, first one in new section did not require me to unhook. Although my site only had water and 50 A, there are other sites that are back in with full hook ups and cement pads. Picnic table and fire pits are available. I also saw a few deer roaming around.

Busy but pretty

Tons of RVs here while I was camped, but I understand why. Community seemed really nice.

Good Verizon cell service.

The park is lovely and goes right up onto the lakes beach. Long hiking trails take you through the woods and marsh land. Saw a couple deer, turtles, and a nutria. Dog loved it.

Bring bug spray or citronella. They will swarm you. Campsites are nice. Laundry, showers and toilets were fine.

Really cool swamp

Had a great time at this beautiful and secluded state park. Took a few hikes around the river as well as some late night walks along the boardwalk hoping to see a gator (no such luck). Saw some cool wildlife none the less though. Failure nice and well managed. Campsites are large and easy to back into. And sure, there are some snakes, but it's the swamp!!