University Place , LOUISIANA

Most Recent University Place Camping Reviews
Very busy campground

We had our 1st trip there over spring break.

If you want quiet time, this isn't the best place but if you like a lively and busy one, it's for you.

Large pool, store and Cafe. Playground and jump pads for kids too

A parking lot.

We stayed 4 days and it served its purpose, to visit New Orleans at a reasonable price. Don't come here thinking it's the great outdoors camping spot with plenty of activities. It's basically a gravel parking lot with hook ups. We were very close to the office and still couldn't get the wifi. The park backs up to a Railroad yard but the train noise wasn't the problem. The traffic noise on the adjacent Hwy was terrible and all night. The sewer hookups stick up a foot above the ground which makes it impossible to get your discharge hose to drain without standing out there to help it. It is also in a bad part of town, if there is a good part. Now saying all that I still gave it three stars because for the price, and location to N. O. It's about the best you're going to get.

Wanted to love it more. Flooding issues

Have waited six months into our RV life to start reviews for fair comparisons. Stayed 2 nights in 35 foot RV+tow car at$31/night. We really wanted to like this park more than we did as it has great hiking trails, gorgeous natural setting, deer running around everywhere. But there seems to be a chronic flooding issue(not surprising for the location of course). All around our campsite was very flooded. And we saw other sites were the actual site had a few inches of standing water on it. Many of the hiking trails we could not do because of flooding. Even came back days later to try to hike after no rain and some parts were still flooded and very muddy. Staff at gate very friendly and helpful.

Great Family Campground

Campground is set up for kids and families. Nice pool area and playground for the kids. Concerts on the weekends and red stag and potbelly pigs roam freely on the property. They are in the process of adding more sites and a new entry.

Not what we expected

Kinda dodgy part of town. Hard to get to, we had to do a u turn to get there off I-10. Tight turn to get into the park. The man was nice enough to guide us to our site and help us back in. But it’s literally a gravel parking lot that’s fenced in. The pool and hot tub, the park’s only real amenities, were closed due to COVID - no mention of this on their website or at check in. Washers/dryers were old and rusty, some didn’t work, and they were $2.00 for a standard sized machine. Showers were okay, I’ve seen cleaner. One of the men’s showers didn’t work. There are railroad tracks right behind the park, but it was a soft rumble. The worst part is the drag racing that goes on every night, just behind the tracks on Almonaster Ave…I am pretty sure it was Street Outlaws New Orleans (Discovery Channel), no joke. After two nights of it going past midnight, we couldn’t take it anymore and left.

Overlanding across the country

I will start out by saying this was recommended by Dyrt app. I am enjoying the app and has nothing to do with that. To start this was a decent spot very close to the French Quarter, the people were very nice. I gave this 2 stars for multiple reasons. Starting about 4pm the rail yard became a drag strip until about 3am. You want to talk about loud cars, guns firing, and cops, this was it. Very loud!! As the night went on it was alright and we dealt with it. The gun shots got louder and closer. I heard ricochets wiz through the park. Again I was up high in an RTT. I will also say that half the RV’s here look like they are at their final destination. Not many of them look moveable anymore. Lastly, the final draw was broke when three guys were creeping through the spots. When I got out of my vehicle, they took off and ran. Then the blew out the gate in a truck. Not sure if they stole it or if they stole other stuff and rolled. I would not recommend this if you have a family, also if you are in a tent. The place is gated but there is no security and you are staying at your own risk. Again I will say the owners are nice, but when they have an additional fence around their house and all doors are locked that’s a key to move on. We left at like 3am.

Top notch

Stayed here 4 days with some of the best customer service and hospitality. Laundry room and outhouse is very clean and the grounds are maintained by a wonderful family that will be glad to help you with your stay in the New Orleans area.

Please be respectful to the area as it's an older area and has become commercialized and butts up to the "Train tracks" and tons of outside "City noise" Great place to experience either for a night or two, or like me came back for the "Good Sam" weekly discount.

(Tip) there's and Orange tree they pick from "Just ask"

Great state park for camping

We had an incredible time, the campground and facilities were great and the camp hosts were the best!!

Great Family Oriented Campground

This place is very kid and family friendly! Upon first arriving in our RV, we checked in and rented a golf cart. This ranch is huge so you need some form of wheels, even if you just bring a bike. We were at site 16 and it is towards the back of the camp. Driving in, the kids could not stay seated as there were likely HUNDREDS of deer and a few pigs roaming. We parked and went to find some deer; which is extremely easy as there are so many. My kids fed the deer some corn and they will eat it right from your hands. After deer and pig play, we went to the playground on site and the kids burned off some steam before dinner. There is a store at the playground that has a few necessities in the case you left something behind. It also appears there is some construction of a bunch of new sites to handle more campers! All in all, this place is great and we WILL BE BACK!

NOLA

As stated in other reviews this KOA is close to town and very convenient. But it's noisy. Traffic, trains, airplanes and construction noise, you've got it all here. Bring earplugs if your tent camping. The staff is super friendly though and the amenities are very nice.