Ama, LOUISIANA
Most Recent Ama Camping Reviews
Not worth the money 💰

My kids LOVE Yogi Bear because of what it is. YOGI BEAR lol. The place is very run down and I don’t really see where the money is actually going. The sites are horrible, uneven and broken up cement. Doesn’t really pay to have the sites cemented where they are. In the back they aren’t and it really looks like you park where you want. Lots of people brag about their activities but all the times we’ve been here we’ve never known about any activities. The permanent sites here are just ratchet looking. They also have its own “neighborhood” of people living here. The golf coarse was filthy and full of mosquitoes. I’m from south Louisiana so I know about mosquitoes and this was a bit ridiculous in the middle of the day. The basketball court is all broken up and crappy looking. I just see way better Yogi Bear campgrounds out there and it’s such a shame because my kids love Yogi and this one is so close to home!!

It’s been closed for a few years now.

This once was a beautiful and quiet place! Now it’s privately owned and no longer a campground.

Way too expensive!

My ex-husband and I were tricked into a membership here, years ago.  The thing that sold us was we were told that the coast to coast membership that went along with the plan we were considering would give us 50% off of airline flights.  LIE!  We were also told that Jellystone in Robert, LA would be a cheap place to stay when we would visit a theme park that was being built in the near future in Robert.  ANOTHER LIE!  The owners of the park are total jerks!  Our daughter's finger got caught in the fan in the ice machine that was exposed, with the grill that was supposed to be covering it that was broken and hanging by a screw.  We had to take her to the ER, where she almost lost her finger.  It was negligence on their part by not fixing the grill properly and they wouldn't pay for the hospital bill.  We sold our membership after that and took a big loss.  These people don't care about their members.  They're just in this to make as much money as possible by "raping" everyone with their high prices and lies.  I only gave it 1 star because I had to in order to write the review.  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!

Lots of activities

Lots of activities. Nice sites, with plenty of shade. 3 pools, fishing pond. Snack shack.

Nice state park

Nice sites. Close to town with stores and restaurants. Just across the Mississippi River from New Orleans.

Action-Packed

Humble little Pelican RV Park is not for the faint of heart! For the lucky few who can appreciate a unique city-camping experience, it's an adventure all unto itself! Located off the canal in the Gentilly neighborhood of New Orleans, this area is legendary for its street-racing scene. You'll find yourself with front row seats to the action, which goes on most nights of the week and draws huge crowds from all over the world. The park is small, and what it may lack in amenities is made up for by its oversized lots and reasonable rates. An easy 6-minute drive puts you in the French Quarter, and the gated community is often a little-while home to some of New Orleans' many musicians and performers. The property owner and operator, Greg, has a heart of gold. Be sure to stop in at Smiley's Grill, located at the park's entrance, to say hi to Greg and grab a good meal for a great price, as well.

Lots of wild life.

We enjoy going out to Tickfaw SP every chance we get.  It has some great shady sites; paved, back-in; majority have wooden decks that are campsite level.

We also see wild life when visiting, raccoons, rabbits, many varieties of birds, and yes, snakes (it's nature, people).  The snakes we have seen have been garter snakes and king snakes (non-venomous).

Great splash-pad for the kiddos in summertime. Wonderful Nature Station and great fishing, either at the pond or at the river at the end of the park.

New Orleans hideaway

Nice little campground 20-30 minutes from NOLA. Perfect spot for camping outside of the city. The facilities were clean and well maintained. The mosquitos were fierce after dark. Short drive to Barataria Preserve for seeing wildlife. Sites are are large but watch what side your picnic table may be on.

So much fun

Staff is amazing. There is a lot of fun things to do for the whole family, from swimming, water slide to playing bingo and a lot more.

BEAUTIFUL

Chill, few minutes to a beautiful beach! Camp and bathroom are really clean. We were lucky to be here during the week(no neighbors, nobody on the beach), I feel it can be less nicer during the weekend…

NOT ALL SITES ARE EQUAL

I stayed here for two nights while visiting New Orleans. At check in I asked for a tent site and was told every site is a tent site. I arrived at the space I was assigned and there was very little grass areas and NONE FLAT. Meanwhile I look across the road at several empty sites that would have been very accommodating, lots of flat grass! Yes I should have driven back to the office, but it’s a long distance from the office and campsites and I was tired and decided to make it work. BTW I have a small backpacking tent, anything larger and I definitely would not have fit!

The second day we had a very heavy rainfall and the location I picked for my tent completely flooded. I had to drag my tent to a slightly higher very slopped spot in the rain.

Given how few tents I saw at this campground, couldn’t the registration office have a list of which sites might best accommodate a tent??

Small but well managed

Small campground with a pool, laundry, gift shop, and exceptional staff!

The best

Primative sites are all by the water!! Awesome place

Too many snakes

Had a couple of snakes show up creeping under our camper. After that I just couldn't enjoy it, lol. Nice trails where we saw a couple of alligators . Pretty wild flowers. A small pond to kayak, where we were greeted by a watch out for gator sign! Back in RV spot, had water and electric hookup.

Perfect getaway, especially if you have children!

There is mini golf(18 holes), canoeing, kayaking, petal boat rental, "mining for gemstones", fishing, a giant slide, 3 pools and a hot tub. The store on site gives easy access to any items you may have forgotten. Live music happens on special weekends, as well as holiday related activities for kids. Yogi also raises the flag on Saturdays and all the kids can go on a "Hey ride" with Yogi after. There are places to play volleyball, basketball, and horseshoes. Also a play place for kids with sand pit.

A+ Location

Great camping, group areas, beautiful scenery. Great pier and view of Lake Pontchartrain!

Noisy, but close to French Quarter

This is a small RV Park, with only about 40 sites. It is just 5 miles from down town New Orleans, and the French Quarter. They are on the bus line, and also have a shuttle to the Quarter. This Is a gated facility, all full hook-ups, and free WIFI, Pool, Spa, Coin-op Laundry with clean, modern restrooms. The owner lives on-site, and will gladly help find and book tour for you.

Close to downtown!

This was a nice KOA near the French Quarter. The KOA offers transportation to the French Quarter for free! It was such a nice perk! The pool is very nice and the sites are clean, level and spacious. We enjoyed our time here. Take time to explore the area. Shopping is nearby.

Large and beautiful

Nice facilities the shower house / bathrooms are kept clean. Laundry is available at no charge, wifi is slow. This campground can hold any size RV or tent, some sites with full hook-ups. Close to the beach and a nice bike trail into town.

Free area along the Pearl River in Louisiana

Free, but as a courtesy please sign in and then out when you leave. Beautiful spot but no designated sites. Port a pots only and one water spigot. No frills, just free. We stayed here 2 nights. Swamp tour company very close by.

Very Similar to Bayou Signette.

This state park looks a little older but has good amenities. You can get sites with water and electric service. Dump site is available. The shower house and bathrooms has a small laundry, which is free, and there is wifi in the park, but usually almost to slow to use. Sites are nice and come in various sizes for your RV or tent. Some of the sites are low and can hold water. This park fills up quickly at Mardi Gras, so reserve early.

Great location near New Orleans

Fairly large area an can take almost any size RV. This park has a laundry room in the shower house / bathroom and free internet. (although usually very slow) It's about as close to New Orleans as you can get at a state park. Staff is good with helping with directions.

Great little park

Tickfaw State Park is a Louisiana State Park located just outside of Springfield, LA.  The park is not very large, but big enough not to constantly run into people.  On this visit, we took our Christmas pictures along the “Cypress Gum Trial” - a boardwalk walk trail located across the street from the campsites and around the playground(s).  There is a nice covered area with picnic tables.  There are 2 camping loops - (1) for tents and (1) for RV’s.  Our site, #37 on the tent loop, we had enough space as well as privacy.  We went the weekend after Thanksgiving and the park was not overcrowded and the weather was perfect.  I did find the boardwalk trail was VERY slippery covered in wet leaves.

New Orleans hideaway

Nice Park Tucked Away

Nice State Park on the Tchefuncte River in St.Tammany Parish. Bathhouses are clean and single use so you can take care of using the bathroom, showering, drying your hair…etc all in one private room. RV spots are concrete. Water and electric hookups, no sewer, but they do provide a dump station, has a nice play area for kids, and provides primitive camping spots as well. There is a fishing dock, and a wooden pier trail. We like staying here near our family.

Quiet

Quiet, semi private sites. We are at site 39 which has 2 access areas for kayaks, canoes, etc. The ground is pretty sloped though. There is a private beach for campers. Also a public boat launch and beach. The water looks kinda nasty, so this girl won't get in it! Very nice kayaking. Playgrounds for kids, probably loud in the summer.

Super nice stay!

Pads are level, wooden deck fire ring, plenty of room for tents, laundry room bathroom & showers were clean, playground well kept. My boys enjoyed the fishing. Short drive to French Quarter.

Popular, but sites are nicely spaced with lots of greenery in between.

Popular! Weekends are very busy. Beautiful park, lots of outdoors things to do. Deer eand other wildlife everywhere.

very nice, close to new orleans,lots of history around

st bernard has many attraction,nice veiws, friendly people

Lovely state park

We stayed here a little over two weeks in mid-February 2019. We really enjoyed this park. It does get very busy on the weekend, but the area we were in was still quiet and peaceful. We were in an area that is deemed long-term and some people around us were staying several months. There is only water and electricity hookups, but there are two dump stations throughout the park. We used our tote to dump grey water while there. We were on spot #138 and were close to the dump and the camp host. Very convenient for using the tote.  This is a bit older park, but we liked it. There are a few walking trails and you can walk along the road as well. There is a long bike trail that takes you into town, but we didn’t do that. There is a cute little beach and pier at Lake Pontchartrain. Would have loved to have a beach day, but the weather did not cooperate. We walked around the park most days and enjoyed the birds and the wonderful trees with Spanish moss. As with most things in Louisiana, the park is low-lying so with rain there are puddles and mud. The campground did not get bad even though it rained several times while we were there. Internet access was good. Strong signal with AT&T and Verizon. The park is close to Mandeville and Covington if you need any essentials. Access to New Orleans is about an hour. We went twice while there. This was our second time staying here and we enjoyed it more this time because we had extra time to explore the park. We saw numerous deer and several wild boars which was fun. We were there during the off-season, so rates were $20/night on the weeknights and $28/night on weekends. We will definitely be back when in the area again.