Meads, KENTUCKY

Most Recent Meads Camping Reviews
Fallsburg campground

Good place to get away for the weekend.

Camp at twin knobs and hike at tater knob fire tower and lockegee lookout .

The site is good but remember to bring sleeping pad due to you only for site for tent

Always had a nice time there

Primitive camping and rv space. You can rent a cabin and such. There is a resort.  Everything always looks really nice. So many recreational activities, caves, hiking, horses and a lot more. I would really recommend visiting.

Good for kids. Just be aware of the bad set up here.

Started out bad. Had showed up at site with no electricity available. Was told had to share box but only one 30 and one 50 amp. So if you both have a 30 amp the other has to get an adapter for the 50. 20 years of camping and never had to do that before. On the website it says 30 amp available .

The park was not willing to help me they said first come first serve for the 30 or 50 whoever is first and would not let me Borrow an adapter only willing to sell me one for $30.

Thank goodness for good campers that let us use one. Always Met good people at every campground we’ve been to but some of the staff at Greenbo is horrible.

Not willing to help you here and a bad setup.

Rainy day in Ohio!

Sadly, it was raining the entire time we were at this site. However, the campground was very nice! It was quaint and quiet. Nice view and close to the lake as well! There is a beach about a 10 minute drive away from the camp. Very nice showers and bathrooms!

Great peaceful campground

Stayed a couple nights. Nice level site on river. Owners are wonderful. They have 7 private bathrooms with shower. Also a laundry room with one washer and dryer. We actually walked down boat ramp (which they have) and went swimming in the Ohio River! It’s nice to sit outside and watch the river and barges traveling up and down.

Love this campground!

We have stayed at this campground numerous times and always enjoy ourselves! The staff is very nice and campground is clean! They have two play areas for kids and gorgeous lake to visit!

Beech Fork State Park

We spent a week camping at Beech Fork. There were things we liked and didn't like. If you are looking for laid back, kayaking, fire building, kids playing, fishing, camping trip, then this is the place to be. It is very safe for kids. The park ranger makes his rounds quite frequently. The only thing we did not like is, there is no swimming in the lake. There is a pool very close but you still have to pay if you are camping there - at least discount the price to campers. There is beach access but it takes 30-45 minutes to drive to it.

Broke campers dream

This drive in campground is awesome for those who like to camp for free. Right off the highway! Located on Cave Run Lake. No fire pits, no restrooms, no water or electricity hookups. Most spots have boat in access! Will definitely be going back! Located in Morehead, KY.

Twin Knobs

This drive in camp site is a pay only and it’s best to call a couple weeks before your trip to reserve you spot! You can tent camp, pop up, or set up your pull behind. Twin Knobs is very clean and spacious campsites and most are on the water! This campground has basketball courts, a beach area, restrooms and more. Pet friendly but must stay on a leash.

Getting away

We camp here every year.

Coal Country Culture at a Historic State Park

Cabwaylingo is off the beaten path, but definitely worth a visit! It's one of the oldest WV state parks, built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's. Described as a"hidden gem" on the state website, I was the only camper in the entire 8,200-acre property on a warm Sunday afternoon. Sad this beautiful state forest is so underutilized.

Cabwaylingo sits on a portion of four different counties, namely: Cabell, Wayne, Lincoln and Mingo, which helps explain the origin of the exotic-sounding name. The forest has two campgrounds, lots of picnic shelters, 100-capacity bunkhouses with a huge kitchen, plus some gorgeous historic cabins which now have A/C. The outdoor pool is closed due to a lack of funding, but there's swimming hole in the nearby creek which is also used for baptisms by local churches.

The stonework in this park is amazing, especially the superintendent's residence which was built by Italian stone masons. It's located across the street from the park headquarters, so be sure and check it out.

I pulled into the Spruce Creek Campground which appeared nicely maintained, but there was no campground host, no other campers, and the bathhouses were locked, so I wasn't sure if it was open for use. I found out from the superintendent the next morning that it's difficult to keep a campground host because it's an unpaid position. He said I could have pulled in and picked one of 11 spots, then the night watchman would have shown up to check me in and unlock the bathrooms. Good to know, if you're just passing through with no reservation like I was. Here's another tip from the superintendent: If you pull up next to the satellite dish by the bathhouse, there's Internet service with no pass code.

I ended up driving to the Tick Ridge primitive campground which lived up to its name. Again, no host and no campers, so this isolated campground tends to attract partying locals and ATV riders who use the nearby county road. The bathhouse here is permanently closed due to a dried up well, so the only facilities are the ancient pit toilets. I was surprised that I had phone service high on the hill, thanks to an AT&T tower on a nearby ridge. I wouldn't camp here again, but I might make the 2-mile drive to checkout the old Tick Ridge Fire Tower built by the CCC in 1935. I'm bummed I didn't know about it and missed it during my stay.

The drive to Cabwaylingo State Forest is half the adventure. You'll be motoring through the heart of southern West Virginia's coal country where you'll cross several single-lane bridges and pass through at least one historic tunnel chiseled out of the surrounding rock.

You'll see the economic impact of the decline of the coal industry with many businesses shuttered, so best to stock up on groceries and gas before you get too far off the beaten path where there's often no phone or Internet service.

I stopped for gas at the Dingess Service Center where locals can pull-up and pump fuel, but you'll have to go inside and leave your credit card before the manager will turn the vintage pump on. I bought a cold caffeinated beverage and visited with some local residents about their favorite pastimes, the coal industry, and the poor job market that's causing their young people to flee. Everyone was super-friendly after I explained I was reviewing Cabwaylingo in an attempt to encourage more tourism.

The Dingess Service Center is located near the infamous Dingess Tunnel which is a former train tunnel, nearly a mile-long, stained with the bloody history of train wrecks and purported deaths of foreign laborers killed by locals. Whatever the truth is, the 60's-era conversion to a single-lane road for cars still makes for a nail-biting drive. They were paving the roadway when I came through, so the tunnel was closed, but I did drive through a similar, but much shorter, tunnel which runs between Dingess and Breeden.

There are lots of churches along the access road to Cabwaylingo, including a couple of Old Regular Baptist Churches, found almost exclusively in remote areas of Appalachia. This denomination does not use musical instruments so they have a song leader who chants a line of the hymn, with the congregation repeating a more elaborate version. It's a mournful-sounding form of worship called"line-out hymnody" which dates back to the 1700's. There are a few samples on YouTube which sound like remnants of some ancient Celtic church service.

Beautiful place

It is a beautiful campground.. just make sure you clean up after your selves so the next person doesn't have to clean your mess! If you leave food and garbage out you will attract Bears..  Always remember we are in their home so yes they will come for food! Just keep your area tidy and clean and take your trash with you when you leave..

First stay

Campground was nice. Staff was nice. Spots were roomy. They had recently mowed but left all the clippings so it that was quite messy especially being in a tent. Lake was nice to kayak without worrying of large boats. Even though we were paying to stay overnight for 3 nights, it was an additional charge for the pool AND to go to the beach area. I think if you are paying to stay on the grounds this should be included.

Top notch

The best place to camp in WV in my humble opinion. Kids can enjoy themselves riding bikes and not have to worry about them getting hit by cars. You can take a kayak or even boat up to your campsite. There is a disc golf course at the campgrounds as well. If swimming in the lake isn’t your thing then the beech fork pool is not even a min away, nice big pool with 2 diving boards and also a kiddie pool for the wee little ones. All in all it’s a great place and you should definitely try it!

Beautiful!

Grew up going here and still to this day it is my absolute favorite place to camp. You can tent camp which is what we did growing up or you places for campers. Most of all of the sites are shaded. Close walk to the lake with quite a few walking trails. Nice bathhouse’s.

Nice wooded camp grounds semi close to the water

Full disclosure 1st time here and last minute (night before) booking. The whole campground is nice depending on how you're camping. Some site are better than others in general, but some are better fitted for campers and other for tents. I'm not talking about electric/water hookup vs primitive, just layout. We booked Thursday night on a last minute cancellation for Friday-Sunday. A site with electric in the H loop. It was clean and the sites are nicely spaced so you're not right on top of another. Problem is it was all booked up online so we expected a busy campground and over 1/2 the sites booked were empty all weekend. Not that that was a bad thing. It just that better site were available. I think this is a problem with the online booking system that can be fixed. They have a mix of sites and small cabins. We will probably book one of those on a return trip. Despite what the maps show there are no sites that are "waterfront". The sites next to the water have steep drop offs so no back door fishing. It's easy to get to the water just not right at the sites. The swimming beach was a disappointment. The water was nice but the beach itself left a ton to be desired. It's lined with gravel that's not real bare foot friendly. In the heat of the summer when we were there the gravel was extremely hot and hard to walk on. Once I. The water was fine, but if you plan to lay out and tan bring something padded to lay on. Also. The goose poop.. Man was there a ton of goose poop on the beach. I mean all over the place. There is another sand beach that's a boat up to beach by the boat dock that's also accessible by shore but depending on the water level may not be that great. It was sand not gravel and didn't have much "beach. More like field next to water. It was much better. Still goose poop but not as much. The lake water was close to clear and clean. The staff was nice. There are a moderate amount of shower house bathrooms but some site may have a decent walk. There is one store in the campground by the beach but didn't have much in it. Boat traffic for the time didn't seem bad. Overall it was a good trip, and we will probably be back.

Will return

Great campground with super easy access to the trail and lake. The sites are spread apart enough so you aren’t right beside someone - and shaded. Well prepared sites with a clearing, fire ring, and a picnic table. Nice host and rangers too! Bathrooms were meh: the walls need cleaned or painted, no where to put your things, and there was no hand soap - no biggie though.

Beautiful Appalachian scenery

Nice campground in a beautiful area. Restrooms and shower houses were very clean. Beaches could use some improvement, the smaller beach had goose poop all over. The larger beach at turkey creek was a little better with sand but not one of the nicer beaches I’ve visited. Very quiet campground was very peaceful and relaxing!!!

Great Campsite with one exception

Great campsite on the Ohio River. Tent sites are grassy with lots of shade. water and electricity at site for $20.00. We upgraded to a vacant RV site with River Frontage for $35.00, since We were able to sleep In our SUV. Showers and toilets are clean. Staff is so accommodating! The exception? Trains blowing their whistle every 20-30 minutes all night long. The crossing is right by the campground. If you can sleep through it, great. I couldn’t.

Classically Fun KOA

We loved our stay here! The owners are so friendly and welcoming. They had so much for kids to do: a swimming pond with inflatables, gem mining, banana bikes, and more. They showed a movie at 9pm on a big inflatable movie screen outside. Lots of other families there to hang out with.

The only downside was that the tent sites are close to the interstate, so there was A LOT of road noise all night. Otherwise, it was a great camping experience!

Great RV site by the lake

Awesome RV spot. Lots of the sites don’t have power.

Great place

Very nice and quite campground with an awesome lake to kayak

Awesome Backpacking

Great location to earn some backpacking miles. Feels quite remote, but along the trails there are shelters, bathrooms, trash reciprocals, and other useful hookups. When camping and hiking here, you feel space and distance from other campers, with the perks of established facilities.

Great spot

Busy but nicely kept and spots are not right on top of each other. Great access to cave run lake in various places.

Not always accessible

June 2019 was not able to access the campsite due to a gate blocking the road.

Very nice park

It is checked on by staff, and they are very helpful !!

Full moon kayak

Nice campground great people who operate it. I went on a full moon kayak trip with them it was an absolute blast we had so much fun.