Kingsbury , INDIANA

Most Recent Kingsbury Camping Reviews
Didn’t stay here, I just did a day trip

I just went to check this campground out and it had one site that I would like to stay on. Site 71 was right on a dune with stairs to see the lake!

Primitive

Clean ,primitive. Well water, showers

Sites on top of each Other

OK, I can deal with minimal privacy, but I’m a hiker and I got seriously lost on the woods trails due to very poor sinage. I was pretty furious when I finally stumbled out of the woods and met up with a couple of maintenance men who heard me lecture loud and clear on the importance of sinage. Be very careful hiking at this place. There’s a great well defined walk to the beach. It included a boardwalk that skirts a wetland restoration project that is impressive.

Shady, well-space sites

We stayed here in July 2020. Too bad they have no electricity because it was in the 80s and 90s so it would have been nice to have the AC. We made do with our ceiling exhaust fan. Showers were busy and, unsurprisingly,  not cleaned in between users.

We stayed 3 nights and enjoyed having a site within the park so the beaches and trails were convenient. As it was during the pandemic, we socially distanced, but exchanged pleasantries with masked visitors and staff. Even on hiking trails, people would flip on their masks, as did we, when passing other hikers.

We didn't go to the beach much as people we not making or social distancing. But there are many historical sites and trails so we had plenty to do. Didn't check out everything that sounded interesting . Want to go back some day!

Would stay again

Great water pressure. Hot enough water. Heated bathroom! Clean bathrooms.

Wooded, clean, but noisy

We tent camped for two nights while visiting Indiana Dunes. It’s only 15 minutes away, and nestled into a residential area so it’s a nice option. It’s a pretty big campground and there’s a nice mixture of grassy, tree lined tent spots and more secluded wooded spots in the woods by the creek. Also tons of RV spots. The bathroom and shower facilities were clean and there was a pool, basketball court, volleyball court, and even some cabins. The owner is nice - she’s particular about everybody doing their part to keep the campground safe and clean and has a lot of “mothering” type signs everywhere, but I felt well looked after. The noise is quite jarring for a campground that seems like it would be pretty quiet - constant train traffic, airplane noise, and if it’s windy and you’re near the trees that really adds to it. We are heavy sleepers so it didn’t bother us too much but it could be an issue for the wake prone. All in all we had a nice stay and would stay here again.

One time is not enough

Been here several times and still haven't see it all.   National Parks Campground a bike ride away from the beach.  At the intersection of the road to the campground and State Route 12 there is a restaurant, camp store, gas station and a church.  The campground does not have water or electric at sites.  There are water pumps near the dumpsters through out the campgrounds.  The sites are a good space apart.  In summer the leaves on the trees make the sites private.   In the fall the park is less crowded.  The Indiana Dunes are  very large.  There are bike routes in the area and stopping points to look at birds and marsh lands.   In 2019 the rangers had a number of programs and shuttle bus between the campground and the beach and learning center.   None of  these were available in 2020 as a result of COVID.

Great Hidden Camground

The campground itself is very well maintained, beautiful, quiet and private. Plenty of space in between each site, and the campground host was the best! He was consistently making rounds and was eager to share tips on where to explore. A bit far from the beach, but a super quick drive to spend the day at the lake. This was actually preferable, as the campground was a nice escape from the crowds at the beach/dunes. Goblin and the Grocer is a must if you don’t feel like cooking after a long day at the dunes, and is only a few minutes walk from the campground!

Great home base for exploring the Dunes

Location is fantastic for exploring the area. From campground you can walk (very close!)  to the small Village of Beverly Shores which has a cool restaurant (Goblin and the Grocer) with outdoor dining and take out, higher end liquor store, gas station, ice cream, firewood, beach supplies and food trucks. Plus, even the commuter train to Chicago stops here. Close to several beaches, tons of hiking, dunes to climb and cute towns to explore.

really, 3.5 stars

the beach is cool! you can drive right up! but to park in the daytime is $10, on top of the campground fee. i was prepared to pay it, though, because my hip was sore and walking from the campground was out of the question.

campground sites can be on top of one another. shrill yip dogs of the campground host in the first loop. asked to move and they gave me something in the higher loop, a bit closer to the beach. i was pretty happy there.

drinking/party feel with bars and breweries everwhere.

if i were to visit the area again, i’d reserve ahead at indiana dunes national park cg instead. nature is why i camp.