Avon, INDIANA

Most Recent Avon Camping Reviews
Great weekend.

Very nice. Small and quiet. Lots of historical significance. Very nice trails. Awesome visitors center. The campground is right next to a local airport. Not terrible, but can be noisy. Can also be entertaining! Also a rail line pretty close that woke us up couple times a night.

The best!

We really enjoyed staying at this campground. We unfortunately took the wrong route on a trail and ended up hiking almost 5 miles in the rain but it was amazing! The hike was incredibly beautiful and there were so many others on the trail with us. Campsite was very nice and everyone was very helpful!

Mountain biker paradise

The Campground is on top of the Ridgeline. When we pulled in it was raining and there was smoky mist hanging over the forests. We set up camp and since there were no bugs first week of October we slept with the screen open on the tent. There is a new pit toilet by our campsite which was very clean. We didn't bother with showers because we are stinky mountain bikers. So I can't comment on the shower house. The ranger told us that all the deer had been killed by over hunting in the park, but when we drove back to the Campground after dinner there was a whole herd of deer hanging out at the camp ground. He also showed us how to find paw paw fruit in the woods which taste like a cross between a banana and a peach. Delicious. We only camped two nights but we had a lovely time. We rode the trails which were surprisingly dry and fun. We wanted to ride the flow trail HogsHollow but we didn't know how to get back up the mountain. It's 5.5 miles down and I'm not in good enough shape to climb back up. So maybe next time we go we can call for an Uber since it turns out it is available there. There is supposed to be 200 miles of singletract trails in the area plus horse trails. There is a horse barn for trail rides and also a horse camp. There is a lodge there too but I didn't have time to see it. Also a swimming pool and nature center. The town of Nashville is right there with lots of artsy shops and restaurants in rustic buildings. There are numerous hotels and a music venue and a playhouse. Something for everyone. Unfortunately the bike shop right outside the park went out of business. Can't wait to go back.

Beautiful place

The hiking trails here are awesome! Something for every level! The campground is pretty and spacious. Very peaceful. Great for just day trips as well.

Love it here

This place is so beautiful! We stayed in the hideaway loop and it was perfect. Lots of wildlife, so pack your food up right. The hiking trails were pretty, not very rugged. Scenery was nice on the trails.

Beautiful. Fun. Family-friendly.

The park is beautiful with plenty to explore. If you love to hike, Wolf Cave and the waterfall and canyon were well worth the trip. There is also a paved, accessible trail. The nature center was fun and very kid-friendly and the programming was great. Our kids got to do a fun craft, go on a night hike and see some of the nature centers animals up close. You could tell the staff members there loved what they do and are happy to share their knowledge and love for nature with kids and adults alike. Camp ground A offered a bit privacy and wooded areas between most sites, and the grounds and bathrooms were clean and well kept. Our family will definitely be visiting again.

This campground is huge! It has a ton of spots. We got a group of spots pretty far back so it was a bit of a drive through the campground. We went on multiple walks and my 2 year old loved it! They have a few playgrounds, including one nestled back a little bit in the trees. The nature center was cool for all of the kids and even adults and the views were just beautiful! We will definitely be back. Would love to make a trip in October when the leaves have changed next year!

Great time

Tent camping & hiking

One of my favorites since childhood.

I have been going here since I was a kid and very little has changed since. That is one of the great things about it. It's a great place to camp with a tent, t.v. or you could rent a cabin. They also have a quarry you can swim or paddle boat in. It has a slide and a trampoline.  No lifeguard on duty, so be careful. Flat rock river runs by a lot of the camp sites. Makes for a beautiful scenery, good fishing and/or float on it in your kayak or on a raft. Fun for all ages!

Very Pretty.

The place is beautiful. It is very busy on the weekends. My husband and I walked the rope bridge and climbed the ladders. There was a lot of bottle necking at the ladders, due to all of the foot traffic.  I would advise going on a weekday, if possible. I was also disappointed to learn tgat we could not bring our own kayaks. As a whole, we did have a great time and would definitely come back. On a weekday.

Our go to spot

We come to Sugar Creek because it is close and it is a nice campground. We wish there was a pool, but there is the creek. Most sites a spacious unless you are on the water side. Very tight spots there. Staff is very friendly. Campground is clean.

Great RV park

Great place for friends and families. Tons for both kids and adults. Super close to the lake and really nice facilities all around!

Secluded

My favorite forest with traditional camping, backwoods camping, and a wonderful secret pioneer cabin for rent. This is the best camping within an hour on Indianapolis and if your looking for free and solitary sites try the backwoods camping area for the low gap trail theres a parking lot there.

Clean, fun and family friendly

Wide pull through spots with fire pits, picnic tables and plenty of grass. Tons to do with the kids, organized activities are well done. Staff stays on top of everything and is super helpful. You can rent pedal bikes, pedal boats, store is well stocked.

Clean

Very nice camping. Lots to do.

Decent site for amphitheater camping

I stayed here in June and it was a pretty nice place. Several spots for tent camping, but several electric hookups were not functional. Bathrooms were not impeccable, but they were fairly updated. The only real problem we encountered was the dirt road through the site was difficult to navigate, even though it hadn’t rained for a few days. Just a lot of wear and tear. But super friendly campground, and will definitely return!

Always clean and well maintained.

We love it here. We reserve the same primitive campsite yearly for a full week for our anniversary. We love hiking the trails and riding our bikes as well as walking the whole park. It is always clean and very well maintained.

Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Nice place close to Turkey Run State Park

I stayed at one of the primitive tent sites. It was nice and shaded. As the other reviewer pointed out, further away from the entrance will get you away from the road noise. The shower house was very clean and well kept.

I would definitely stay here again. I would just select a site toward the back.

Amazing sites on the ridge

Huge state park, with beautiful camping, hiking and mountain biking. Sites are large, in the woods and were awesome. Beware, there are rattle snakes. We saw a copperhead and a timber ridge rattle snake. One of the best camp experiences we have had.

Impressive Holiday KOA

We tented for two nights here. The lot was spacious but had a big hill, which made sitting in chairs around a camp fire interesting. The reason I was impressed was, let’s be honest, KOA holiday campgrounds tend to be loud and obnoxious. This isn’t a huge campground though, which kept those things in check.

The splash pad / water park was fun, but was not a pool. It only goes to 3 feet so if you want to swim this is not for you. The water was cold but my kiddos finally got in and had fun on the slides.

The balance between kid fun and peaceful nature is actually on point here. It was beautiful and peaceful but still a blast for kids with the water, playground, and even horses to view (not for riding). The one downfall was the wood prices. The bundles were $6.50 each and the entire bundle burned in about an hour. It can get expensive quick!

Nice Overall

Overall, a pretty nice campground if you’re just passing through. The owners are very friendly and will help you set up if you need it. The spots are close together but they have a very nice pool.

Favorite Campground

This is by far my favorite campground. It is nestled back in the woods of Brown County and is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall. It is very quiet. If you can, try and get a spot towards the front of the campground as the back has sites that are pretty steep.

Great Atmosphere

Overall, a very nice campground. I grew up just 30 minutes away from here and recently just visited for the first time. Nice camp sites and friendly staff. My only reason for not giving 5 stars is the bathrooms are nice, but not air conditioned.

Very Peaceful

Turkey Run has one of the most peaceful campgrounds. It is nestled in the woods, away from big cities and you truly get to enjoy nature. They always have activities for the kids and they have some of the best hiking trails.

Great Family Camground

We have visited this campground twice now. The first time we stayed in one of the cabins. The cabins are large, bathroom was very clean, large screened in porch. Only con was that the cabins all share one large firepit. This past weekend we stayed in a camper. The sites were a nice size. Clean sites. Bathrooms were decent for a campground in my opinion. The kids had a great time riding bikes, playing on multiple playgrounds, and playing in the lake all day.

A getaway

Sites #P1 and #P10 were very nice and cozy!

Great place to have fun and enjoy the outdoors

Great location to river and rentals on site, one of the friendliest people at the office and make sure your taken care of!

Great State park

Nice state park with hiking trails. Close to town if you need to pick anything up.