Avoca, INDIANA
Most Recent Avoca Camping Reviews
Great Place

Camping, boating, fishing, hiking, and biking- so much fun

Great RV park

Great place for friends and families. Tons for both kids and adults. Super close to the lake and really nice facilities all around!

First time I ever kayaked

Perfect lake to kayak for a beginner bc no wake zone also the cabins are cool and cozy just bring a mattress the restrooms are definitely the cleanest and well taken care of anywhere I’ve ever been

Secluded

My favorite forest with traditional camping, backwoods camping, and a wonderful secret pioneer cabin for rent. This is the best camping within an hour on Indianapolis and if your looking for free and solitary sites try the backwoods camping area for the low gap trail theres a parking lot there.

Small nice park

Great smaller sites with privacy

Close to town

Great sites close to the lake

A favorite

We went here for 6 years straight for our annual adult camping weekend and then had to find something a little closer. We still love it though! A ton of great camping spots and large campground! The lake is huge and was always beautiful to drive around. We plan on making a fall trip this year with the family! Photo was taken by my incredibly talented friend Jason Hinton of Hinton Photography.

Amazing

Beautiful lake, great sites, friendly camp Hosts. Our electric box on our site blew a fuse and the camp host immediately came over to change it and replaced the plug as well!

Always clean and well maintained.

We love it here. We reserve the same primitive campsite yearly for a full week for our anniversary. We love hiking the trails and riding our bikes as well as walking the whole park. It is always clean and very well maintained.

Just a few steps from the water.

I was very pleased with our camping expierence at this wonderful campground. 2 days wasnt nearly enough. My kids enjoyed nature, had stick wars, and my daughter learned a few things about fishing. Shower houses were clean. There was an activity center and each day they would have some sort of informational class. Plus, there were some nice playgrounds. The best part. Our campground lot was right down the hill from the lake. Great spot to just sneak away.

Adult weekend

We’ve been going here for adult weekend for a few years! Such a blast! Nice big camping spots and the lake is great!

Great Camping Spot

We camp here every time we come to Indiana. We have camped there in a truck camper, and now we tent camp with our Jeep. The sites are large, and there are fire rings available. There are vault toilets and a fresh water pump not far from them. The only time this camp is full is when a trail ride is going on, then it fills up fast. It is only five miles from Paoli, and there is a Walmart there if you need supplies..

Secluded Site

We loved the primitive camp site. It was secluded and open. We loved seeing the open night sky and preferred it over the electric sites because they were more covered with canopy. I though it was reasonably priced. If you are here I encourage you to visit the Pioneer Village, go to the Nature Center, learn about Gus Grissom, or eat some home-cooking at the Inn (I suggest corn mill pie.) Caving awaits. Bonus - the bathrooms were less then 5 min away.

Amazing sites on the ridge

Huge state park, with beautiful camping, hiking and mountain biking. Sites are large, in the woods and were awesome. Beware, there are rattle snakes. We saw a copperhead and a timber ridge rattle snake. One of the best camp experiences we have had.

Off the beaten path

Site accommodates both horse, drive in and walk-in camping. There’s a privy and water on site. Campsites have fire rings and picnic tables. There is a trail that loops back to the site for easy hiking access.

Great place for a family reunion!

First of all, I have to admit up front, we stayed at this campground during the hottest days on record, for that area. However the park is beautiful and well maintained. Each lot has water and electric. There is a dump station at the exit. The only negative comment about this park is, every lot slopes down towards the lake. If you have levelers, should not be a problem, but be sure to bring extra, because it's a good 3" to 5". We have a small class C and we had to raise the back end (facing the lake) off the ground with our hydraulic levelers. Good think we had leveling blocks to put under the wheels. Also, the decent into this park is steep and the road is narrow. I think there is one section that is close to 8%, however it's short. Verizon phone, Verizon mifi and Dish Satellite, all excellent. Nice thick grassy areas at each site, firepit, picnic table and plenty of room for tent or gazebo. Bathroom/showers very clean.

We were here for a family reunion and used the club house, which was very nice. They also have boat docks, outdoor pavilion, basketball court, beach and swimming area. I would not hesitate to stay here again, but in the cooler months so we could enjoy the trails.

Favorite Campground

This is by far my favorite campground. It is nestled back in the woods of Brown County and is absolutely gorgeous, especially in the fall. It is very quiet. If you can, try and get a spot towards the front of the campground as the back has sites that are pretty steep.

A little slice of heaven

As a avid disc golfer. I absolutely love coming to the place for events. The permanent campers are super friendly. A beautiful lake with plenty of activities to do on it. Showers on site. Oh the disc golf course is top notice. One (if not best in the state)

Beautiful Trails!

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking to do some light backpacking for an overnight/weekend trip! Wonderful trails, dog friendly and nice places to camp off the trail. Can’t wait to go back!

Heads up! Refill your water when you come across it; the lake is harder to get to than you think. I would also bring bug spray and check for ticks!

Love it!

Tons of stuff to do while camping. Boating,fishing,swimming and so much more!

Nice, convenient

Convenient location. Clean restrooms & showers. Had a shady spot for our overnight tent stay. Quiet. Friendly staff.

Ghost town

Called when I was about 2 hours away and told them my ETA. Arrived at my estimated time 7:20 pm. No one in office, no instruction for self registration. Drove around to look at campsites & hopefully find someone. Restrooms & showers could use an upgrade. Saw some RVs & campers which appeared to stay there year around.

Hiking and camping

Had fun on the different trails, at the pool and the shade of our campground!

Nostalgic!

I grew up going to Hardy Lake so it will always have a place in my heart. There is plenty to do with a beach, boat ramps, and many hiking trails. They offer activities on the weekends, especially for kids. I am giving this 4 stars because the bathrooms needs a serious deep clean. The sites are spacious with many different types available. I will stay here again, and enjoyed it.

A couple nights on the sycamore trail

Wonderful place. Excellent trail following a nice little stream along the one side. Being in a national forest dispersed camping is allowed if you follow leave no trace principals, but I stayed in a couple of the official sites. The official sites all had rock fire rings and bushcraft furniture.

The one negative was I did have to pack out previous campers trash along with my own. Being close to the college there was evidence that less than mature campers may frequent the area. That being said once on trail I didn’t see another soul past a couple hundred feet of the trail head and only heard a pair of hikers on the trail pass my camp site as I ate my breakfast the one morning.

A wonderful backpacking area!

A couple nights on the sycamore trail

A wonderful backpacking area!

3 lakes, shady campsites, great pool

We came to Shakamak for a 3 day trip this weekend after visiting White Rock Park on Wednesday. The campsites were well kept, shaded, and the bathroom/shower house was clean. There were several nice looking trails, 3 lakes that were great for fishing, and a really nice pool with water slides and diving board. The pool also had a splash area/wading pool for your smaller kiddos. Firewood and ice were decently priced, and we found many of the electric campsites backed up to the lakes. We did have several nighttime visits from a couple large raccoon families, but it became a game for the kids as they watched for them.

Music Festival of a lifetime

Awesome 3 day weekend with live bands at Fern Hills Club ! Put this naturist campground on your must do list . Rock Naked Weekend gets better every year . Bring your golf cart ! There are 75 acres of trails to hike on or drive your golf cart on .

Camping with 5 & 6 yr old grandkids

We’ve stayed at a few Koa campgrounds and this one didn’t compare quite as expected. It’s small, clean and owners are very friendly and helpful but one stretch of sites (where we were) is tight, short  and cramped. We had four 90-degree day’s so the big plus was the pool. Although dated it was large, clean and refreshing. The sites are on large sharp rocks too (not gravel) which was challenging. Even on our large rugs I could not take a single step without shoes. I also felt bad that our campfire ring was at the back canvas opening of our neighboring camper and a little frustrated that I had to keep moving our 4 camp chairs each time we walked from our door to the truck. The owners did advise they were working on expanding those campsite spots which is good. Our grandkids didn’t care to play in the playground (clean but small and dated) but nice playgrounds were plenty in the Brown County State Park whose entrance is just across the road which gives location an A+. Famous Nashville, IN was just 2 miles away.. another location plus. We’d go back again but I’ll be more site picky next time… but I still won’t like the big rocks! I like a little barefoot time when camping!

Interesting and cool!

The drive to this property is very easy and we had no trouble finding it. However, there is not a sign for the campground, so just follow your gps. Once you drive down the one lane gravel drive you will see a small building with a colorful knight. Now you know you are on the right track! There is some open camping immediately on the right, but keep driving until you see the big metal building. Turn right on the road and drive around and you will see camp sites and eventually Kerry’s tree house. We stopped to say hi and he directed us to our campsite. The weekend we were there was during the Summer Soulstice music festival. The campground was very lively and everyone was having fun. There was live music and good food. The tree web is a giant net about 15 feet in the air. My boys loved climbing up and laying in the web. The tire swing was also fun for the kids. The site we stayed at did not have electricity or water but a water source was close by. The bathroom and shower was very nice and the composting toilet was clean. Kerry took us on a kubota for a tour of the property. We saw a beautiful creek with waterfall, bee hives and sinkholes. Kerry had interesting stories to tell about the property. There was a giant bonfire lit on Saturday night and the music went all night, which was so much fun! I would imagine on all other weekends, it would be pretty quiet. There is no cell service but it was so nice to “unplug” and enjoy talking with each other and making new friends.