Athol, IDAHO
Most Recent Athol Camping Reviews
Sure a neat little fun place

Roughly 11 miles from where the asphalt ends is this little hidden gem. Narrow road up to the lake but definitely worth it. Tons of riding trails and and a quiet campground.

Perfect for family reunions

The park has new showers/restrooms that are absolutely beautiful! Only one in our loop- so quite a jaunt. Playgrounds. Near a lake for those who love water sports.

Checking in wasn’t the best experience. The lady at the desk was cross. When we mentioned we had stayed four nights at a previous location she went off on a tirade asking if we realized that we could only spend 14 consecutive nights in state parks.

We arrived at noon and got the last spot and it was pricy ($35.74). Checkout was 1:00pm but we were not allowed to bring our Popup trailer into the loop before 2:00 because they said the site had to be cleaned and that the hosts got mad if people came earlier.So we sat in the hot parking lot by the visitors center waiting for 2:00pm… only to be told we would probably need to move our vehicles before the lot filled with RVs which were coming in. Where ?
At the campsite, we gave the table a good scrub down.
Walk in sites are rare during peak season. You need a reservation. We were lucky but were told we can only stay one day. We won’t return.

Brand new RV campground.

Nice new RV park with level concrete pads and grass.

Surprised we enjoyed it so much

We were hesitant to stay as there were no trees in individual sites, but because if it’s location in a narrow canyon it became shady and cooled down quickly in the afternoon. Clean showers! 3 cabins. Friendly staff. We ended up staying 2 days. The town is small, very historical! Laundromat nearby.

If tenting and on the roadside (vs creekside), be advised of the light overhead which keeps your tent in the light all night.

They have ruined my childhood spot

We used to camp here in the 80s and it was always peaceful and beautiful. And we liked it because its got free showers and the bathrooms are very clean for camping. However,! There used to only about 34ish spots and now there are 51 spots. Its very crowded and people feel like they are right on top of each other. Your fire pit area is right next to your neighbors picnic table and/or their fire pit. They also clear cut all the bushes between spots and threw wood chips down so there is no privacy at all. I know they are worried about fires but good grief. Hence the reason it feels like you are right on top of your neighbors. The day use area is still pretty much the same as it's always been and the lake is just as beautiful but not the camping part. Thanks a lot Idaho fish and game! :( UGH!!!

Super busy.

Stayed for only 1 night in a tent camping spot. All spots were occupied, lots of kids running around and screaming. Showers were great and clean. They do have structures for weather which was nice to consider it started to rain. Also there’s construction going on next to the fence for tent camping… not fun

Love camping here.

Gotta float the river! Early june

Great swimming!

Huge park! Lots of things to do. Great swimming area. Tent pad at campsite was raked and flat. Junior Ranger program available Fri, Sat, Sun nights. 5 min drive to Silverwood! Downside, all playground equipment was removed due to being outdated and unsafe and no soap in the bathrooms.

Unexpected bliss

Super clean, great back-in spots for RVs, awesome walking trails around the lake.

Nice spot for a quick stop

Rose Lake campsite is a nice spot minutes right off of the highway. The original posting has the public access area for the camping but the camping area is near the boat launch(take your first left when going to the public access). Near the public access there is a outhouse. When you get to the correct area there is a mowed area to park your travel trailer, setup a tent or park your RV. This area is very buggy so be prepared, we stopped in late July. There is no cell phone service too! Check out our blog at www.unnadventures.com or follow our journey on facebook or instagram at Unnamed Adventures.

Old and dirty

Perverted staff

Great place for the family

Great family place, so much to do for everyone. Especially if you love the water. The campsite is butted up to the lake, which makes it great for sunsets and sunrises. There is hardly any shade at the campsite. The RV/camper sites have full or partial hook-ups. All back in. The campsite is clean and very friendly. You can rent kayaks, and paddle boards there. There are tent sites and have public bathrooms and showers. Make sure you have cash or check when you check in unless you made a reservation on the website. Definitely will be back, gorgeous place to stop and stay for awhile.

Ranger Review: Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket/Red Ledge at Pend Oreille Park

Campground Review:

Pend Oreille County Park Is a deceptive name as it is really a large piece of beautiful forest land off highway 2 run by the county. There are miles of hiking/biking trails in this dense forest. The day use is free and has plenty of parking. There are also a large open picnic shelter, ADA accessible vault toilet, Picnic tables, grills/fire pits, and potable spigots. There is also a nice little stream that runs through the day use area during the spring.

The campground is only$10 a night per site, which is a great deal for what you get. There are 26 sites that each have A picnic table, firepit and area for a tent. There are no defined pads but plenty of cleared area. The best thing about this place is how dense the trees overhead are, the whole area is well shaded for those hot summer days. Another great thing about this place is that I have yet to see it packed, which is strange as it is right off the 2. Even though it is close to the 2, there is enough forest in between that you don't hear any cars. Overall great campground for weekend getaways!

*****************************

Product Review:

One great benefit of being a Ranger for The Dyrt is that I get to try out products occasionally- today the product I am reviewing is.. Men's Rebel Stretch Shell Jacket from Red Ledge. To start I have to say this is the neatest rain jacket I have owned. It is super light weight and rolls up to fit in a ziplock bag! I was impressed with the way it kept water out during a freak monsoon I was in. The zipper is a very cool waterproof design that has 2 separate zipper heads, I found this useful to leave the bottom unzipped a little for easier access to pants pockets. Another great feature of this was the design of the pockets. They are VERY large and secure. There seem to be velcro and cinch cords everywhere ensuring a great sealed fit. The hood has a built in bill which was really nice, though I have yet to adjust the hood correctly so it doesn't flop forward a bit too much. The shell is actually very warm so I will be using it as a full jacket, this will be nice come winter.

When purchasing be sure to order a size larger if you plan to wear a full sized jacket under it. My XL wont fit over most of my xl jackets but will fit over a large.

Over all this is a super well made jacket and you can tell the design was a labor of love. I would recommend this to anyone buying a raincoat for backpacking or just all around use. Thank you Red Ledge!

Ranger Review: Firebiner/Outdoor Element at Jerry's Landing Resort

Campground Review:  The campground I am reviewing today is Jerry's Landing Resort and Campground. It is a small family owned resort just 45 minutes north of Spokane Wa. I chose this place to camp for many reasons. One of which is the medium sized lake it is located on. With a boat launch, fishing dock and several row boats to rent, it's a great spot for fishing. In the day use area there are picnic tables, grills, and full flush bathrooms. The family also provides a great little store on premises that offers bait, tackle, food, camping/boating supplies and more. The prices are quite reasonable for the different ways they provide for you to stay at the resort. They have small cabins for$60 a night or larger cabins for$85 a night. Both tent and RV spaces are only$19 a night plus electric if applicable. The day use is only$3 a person and$17 a day for boat rentals as well. One of my favorite things from this experience was no defined tent pad in the well groomed grass camping area. It was one of my better nights sleep while camping. While here I didn't end up catching any fish but have seen pictures and heard stories of bigger fish in the lake. I can believe it with all the wildlife that drops in during the day. I Like to use this place for the day use fishing all the time and would highly recommend you check it out if you are in the area.

*****************

Product Review:  One of the benefits of being a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out products occasionally- today I am reviewing.. Outdoor Elements Firebiner

The first thing I have to admit is I was buying different gear and got the Firebiner as an addon. My delight with the product made me switch the focus of the review to the Firebiner. This thing is pretty awesome! Not only is it super light at just 0.09 lbs, but it is rated at 100 lbs carry weight. This little guy has replaced the carabiner I use for my everyday key ring due to the low weight and strength. Another great feature of the Firebiner is the small flathead screwdriver/pry tool. Its great to have a screwdriver on your side for those pesky things that take less time to fix then going to the tool box. I have already used it this way a few times this week alone. The Firebiner also has a small seatbelt cutter that has come in SUPER handy cutting fishing line and may well save my life one day to boot! One cool thing that I figure falls under the feature category would be the 2 hang slots at the bottom. It would be easy to dismiss this feature, but I found it useful. It has been really helpful to add my home keys and a tinder tube in order to keep them seperate and more permanent than the keys that I take off regularly. The last feature I am going to talk about is perhaps the most notable one. This is, of course, the Everspark Firewheel. It is thick and durable with a replaceable spring-loaded ferro rod. The flint delivery system is like those in a zippo, where you can unscrew the spring from the back. The big difference is the smaller light-weight size and the firebiner uses a ferro rod instead of a flint. Because they use the ferro rod it will spark completely wet as well as in wind.It also comes with a micro tool for the spring removal and to change the seatbelt cutter, which I keep on one of the hang slots. With all the positives I tried to look hard for something that could be better. The only thing I could think of would be to tighten the tension of the clasp. It works just fine on my belt loops through all activity. I did however loose a set of keys in my girlfriend's purse when she had them in there all day being jostled around. Overall I love the Firebiner and Outdoor Element for over designing this great product for me. I honestly would and will recommend anyone getting one of these for themselves.

Equestrian camping at it's best

This area accesses many miles of hiking/biking/horseback trails along the scenic Spokane River, but the campground itself is reserved for equestrians. There is also an arena, round pen, and trail training course a quarter mile up the road from the campground.  For large groups and/or overflow, permission may be granted for camping in adjacent areas suitable for high lining horses.  Even though this area is only 20 minutes from our home, we frequently camp there just for fun!

Very Clean!

Close to amazing fly fishing and has firewood available for cheap with bathrooms!

Equestrian Camping

Riverside State Park has a magnificent equestrian campground on the west side of the river.  The main campground has electrical hookups, horse corrals & pit toilets.  With permission, overflow camping is available by the arena facility and readily accommodates "high lines" for your horses.  Many miles of trails intersect at this point, or close by.  There are many hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking and even ORV activities in this huge park.  We visit frequently, but spring and fall are probably the most scenic times.

Good for big groups

I have had multiple large family reunions in this area and all of them have successful and enjoyed by everyone young and old.

Perfect!

Amazing views of Bull Lake. We went in late July and there were a few sites left when we arrived. The camp volunteer is super sweet! Awesome stay.

5 stars for beauty

However , yellow jackets are swarming you. Nobody was stung when we were there and I find that amazing. Other than the yellow jackets the place is beautiful

Nice campground on a beautiful lake

The tent sites are private and not too close together. Very nice campground host and clean restrooms. We spent the night in the upper section and it was peaceful and quiet.

Great Location

The RV sites are very close together on a gravel lot, but are full hookup. The location is right next to the biking trail and river boardwalk a short distance to the city park. The management was helpful and friendly. Not much ambience, but a great location.

have fun

take the kids and relax

Not my first choice

I should start off this review with a disclaimer that I'm not a fan of private campgrounds. We stayed here because it was close to family that we were visiting.

Campsites are very close together, we could nearly reach out and touch our neighbors.

The campground is located right in town on a fairly busy street, it was a convent to walk to the grocery store, cafe, gas station, department store etc.  Bathrooms were nice and clean, utility hook ups were available. there was no price reduction for not using them however.

We stayed two nights over the 4th of July weekend found the place to be a little noisy and rather expensive.

Good for rest, not recreation

Bathrooms were immaculate, and the sites are spacious and not right on top of each other. Other then the creek (not available from our site) there's no recreation. If you're looking to just set up and relax, it's wonderful. If you want some activities such as hiking or more, it's not your best bet.

Fairchild AFB

Clean bathrooms. Close sites which is pretty standard military campground fare. We love the safety and economy of military campgrounds.

Great spot!

Willow bay is great! We camped for the 4th of July and made our reservations online on their website. It was super easy. Great location, 10 min to the grocery store and restaurants if you need them! Easy lake access and a great swimming area. Nice grassy camp spots and decent bathrooms with free showers. No cell service, but who needs it when you’re camping!

Terrible management, beautiful campground

Well kept campgrounds, but the owner Dave came into our campsite drunk and belligerent, called our children profanities, then returned later in the evening and proceeded to run his golf cart into two of the vehicles at out campsite yelling more profanities, he then got off of his cart and fell onto a personal camp table smashing it. He also physically assaulted two of the parties at our campsite, this is all after crashing through the campsite next to ours, running over a tent and yelling profanities at the site on the other side of their campsite. The owners refused to pay for any of the damages and the excuse we received was that Dave had a bad day and had been drinking vodka. I just want to remind you this is the owner of the resort. So if you you choose this place just be careful.

Boat access

Nice little loop camp ground, 3 sites that were pretty spacious all include a fire ring and picnic table. Free camping for up to 3 days. Right on the lake! Nice dock to go out to fish on as well. 1 vault toilet. Nice big parking lot for boats and trailers! Right off of i90.

Fun!

We had an amazing time here. Had a great time hiking and walking along the lake. I just wish the weather was better!