Gauley River National Recreation Area

Camping Gauley River National Recreation Area

Most Recent Gauley River National Recreation Area Camping Reviews
Absolutely stunning views

Probably the best view I ever had traveling in the RV. This place has 39 full hookup sites right on New River. It's small and not much to it but still a nice place to stay. There is a small playground, bathroom/laundry house and an off that sells fishing supplies. You can recycle aluminum cans here (wish more campgrounds had recycling). Main downside for us is Verizon service is terrible. Perfect for the weekend getaway but not during work hours. AT&T is flawless though. It was raining the first few days we were here and it didn't get disgustingly muddy. Neighboring towns to the east are pretty run down but further west are thriving. Camp owners are lovely people too. Would totally stay again. Walking distance to a market that want really stocked well, mostly empty shelves (granted we were also here in covid times so that might be a factor) and a Dollar General/CVS.

Large Family-Friendly Campground

Bulltown Campground offers a couple hundred spaces, multiple playgrounds, and clean restrooms on the edge of Burnsville Lake, managed by the U-S Army Corps of Engineers. This area is popular for camping, boating, swimming, hiking, and hunting during the deer season.
     It was a beautiful place to camp in the month of October with the fall leaf colors reflected on the surface of the lake. I imagine it could be a bit of zoo during the peak summer months because nearly ever camper in the off-season arrived in a sizeable RV with dogs, children or both.
     Loop A and B are closed in the off-season and all other spaces are first-come, first serve. There’s a self-serve kiosk where you check-in and pay with cash or check. The bulletin board was loaded with lots of helpful posts, including a “boil water” warning on the night I was there.
     I was camping in my van and found a nice shady spot next to Burnsville Lake where I easily dropped my kayak into the water for a peaceful paddle. I was parked next to a group of hunters who bagged a couple of does during the bow season. I imagine the gun season could get a bit noisy. Wear orange, or bright colors if you’re hiking outside the “safety zone” during WV’s hunting season .  The 2020 bow season runs from September 26th to December 31st. The buck firearm season runs from November 23rd to December 6th.
     I particularly enjoyed visiting the nearby Bulltown Historic District, which is the location of a Civil Battle War battle where Confederate and Union soldiers fought to control a critical supply route, including a covered bridge over the Little Kanawha River. You can check out historic structures on the site and hike to the top of the hill where the Union soldiers ultimately withstood the Confederate attack. Pre-covid, there was a reenactment of the battle every other October. I picked up a map for the Weston and Gauley Bridge Turnpike Trail, but found the more remote sections of the trail poorly marked. I didn’t see any official parking lots or trail markers, but I did see a lot of “private property” signs, so I was hesitant to accidentally trespass on a local landowner’s property. I’m guessing some of the access points may have been wiped out by pipeline construction… another reason not to anger the locals who may not be happy with this “invasion.”

Great hidden gem

Nestled in a moderately remote bit of WV just outside pineville/beckley, twin falls state park is an absolutely killer place to stay. Plenty of easily accessible camping sites for RVs, tent spots, and very well documented and marked hiking trails. Very cool pioneer house with garden and rescue animals and (at least during my time there) LOTS OF DEER!!! I had so many deer along the roadways that loved to pose for pictures. Great golf course, decent restaurant and resort rooms, outdoor and indoor pool, tennis/basketball courts, and so many more things. I stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin and it was super affordable at 120 per night and it comes with your own personal wifi and full kitchen. One of the best spots in WV and a must see!

Peaceful and perfect for an overnighter

This campground has views of the West Virginia mountains and overlooks a cow pasture. So much fun to stay at. Glad I found this little gem on here and would stop again if headed that way again. 30 am available.

Absolutely stunning views

Friendly staff, beautiful views

I wish I could give more stars, but the campground itself is just okay while everything around it is amazing.

Pros: right on the river, convenient to everything (walking distance to Family Dollar and a scenic waterfall), staff super helpful and nice, full hookups

Cons: campsites are right on top of one another (especially on the riverside - there’s a few that are sideways and a little better), it’s gravel and washout a little so when it rains it gets to be a muddy mess, the WiFi is flakey (but if you could connect it was good)

Pro/con: the railroad is right across the river, so pretty nice to watch but at night it can be a little loud if you need silence to sleep.

Breathtaking!!!

This is a really beautiful park! When we arrived the park was almost empty and it was so quiet. We enjoyed the beautiful drive in with the fall colors and the little stream next to the road that goes through the campground. The sites are a little tight if you have a bigger camper. We have a R-Pod so the site was perfect for us. We stayed in a site that backed up to the mountain which added some privacy when other campers came in towards the end of our stay. The rangers were so helpful and just wonderful. There was a lot of wildlife to enjoy as you go through the park: deer, Turkey. The shower houses were cleaned three times a day. The sites have electric and at the shower house there is a spigot for fresh water. There was no phone signal at all for Verizon service, so a nice place to disconnect. The hiking trails were really beautiful. At the Upper Falls and Shupe’s Chute there is a parking area and a wooden set of stairs and board walk to the Upper Falls. The trail to the Overlook was a very difficult trail, but the view from the top was breathtaking. Worth the difficult hike. Absolutely loved the park. The only reason I didn’t give a five star rating is because… the last two nights we stayed some of the campers that came in were blasting music and yelling across the campground. They were so loud we could hear them from inside our camper and it went on until we’ll after midnight. The park has quiet hours from 10pm-7am. Despite the rangers making rounds it continued. Aside from that we truly enjoyed our visit to this park and will be back.

Great Place

We loved this park. Had so much fun there. Rented tubes and floated down the river. The staff was great and the grounds well kept. We will be putting this place on our list of parks to stop at every year.

Awesome camping

This is a pretty simple, straightforward campground in Greenbrier State Forest. Semi-private campsites with water and electric. They are very large sites and have lots of trees. The bathrooms are centrally located. There are only two showers, so we had to wait a couple times to get a shower, but it wasn't a big deal. There is a heated pool at the campground but we didn't see it open in the four days we were there. It is so beautiful! We really enjoyed our time here!

Love the location of this park, it is close to so much fun stuff to do in West Virginia! The nearby town of Lewisburg is very cute and has a great coffee and taco joint!

Dirty bathrooms

Beautiful campgrounds. Bathrooms something that could use some updating.