The best WALK IN camping near
Fenwick Island , DELAWARE

Most Recent Fenwick Island Camping Reviews
Nature nature nature

The woods are full of nature and diverse. species. We counted over 17 different species of fungi in a 25 foot stretch! I loved staying in the beautiful cabins and enjoying the nature strolls. Would most definitely return.

Cozy Cabin

I stayed in a group of 5 people to camp and hike in Pocomoke River State Park. I am a local of the eastern shore and wanted a little getaway that was not too far from home. The twin bunk beds were extremely comfortable and felt rather large with two of us sleeping in them. The cabin stayed warm and exceeded expectations. The hikes were a nice little nature stroll with well maintained trails and was very clean! We would for sure stay here again, especially when we start to have families of our own.

Peaceful spot

We only stayed on Assateague for 1 night on our way down the east coast. We camped on the bayside which had a really pretty view of the marsh and large camp sites. No electric hookup or water which is expected for winter camping, we managed without for the night. We took a ride over to the ocean camp sites and found some horses! Worth a stop just for the simplicity of it all!

Location, wildlife, and scenery can't be beat!

Site Details: We stayed on site #I328, in the I loop at the very end of the campground. The site was level but on the small side; I wouldn’t recommend attempting to fit in with anything larger than a pop-up or hybrid. That said, it had electrical service(a hot commodity in this park!), and was well situated, with a nice open space between the edge of the site and the dunes. This open space was pretty low-lying, so I imagine flooding/standing water could bring some major bug issues in the summer. As with all other loops in the park, this loop is separated from the beach by a row of sand dunes, so beach access is very quick and easy. There is no shade to speak of; all sites are surrounded by scrub brush and other plants typical of a beach/marsh environment. Watch out for sandburs!

Facilities/Overall Park: Assateague SP is widely known, loved, and hard to book for a reason. The scenery and setting simply cannot be beat. The beautiful beaches, unspoiled natural setting, and wild ponies all make for an incredible and truly unique camping experience. Additionally, the rangers are very helpful, and the bath houses are pristine. We visited in the fall, and the weather happened to be perfect, with no bugs. Based on other campers’ experiences, as well as having grown up on the Eastern Shore, I would honestly avoid the summertime due to the extreme heat and bugs. Summertime is undoubtedly a more popular time, and a more convenient time for many to travel and take advantage of the beach, but I’d lean toward going in the fall if you can.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: There is so much to do and see nearby, if you can tear yourself away from the park. The state park sits adjacent to Assateague National Seashore, with its own visitor center, campground, and beaches. The NP side has more primitive facilities, and tends to be less crowded and a bit more “wild.” Outside the island, there is of course Ocean City nearby, with plenty to do, see, and eat. It’s a typical tourist beach town, which I have no desire to visit again, but might be worth checking out if you’re into boardwalks, shopping, mini golf, etc. If you do go, make sure to grab some Thrasher’s fries and Fisher’s popcorn. Also nearby is the cute small town of Berlin.

Overall, this is a fantastic park for beach and nature lovers, and lives up to its hype. Make sure you book far in advance (especially for the electric sites!); be prepared for bugs, heat, and wind; and you’ll be sure to have a memorable experience.

Shad's Landing - Our Home Away from Home!!

This campground is our home base. It's only about 45 min from our home. We love this campground. Staff very friendly when store open and you see staff. Clean bathrooms and handicap accessible, as is the store.

Nice dock and boat launch area. We are kayakers in the warm weather and hikers when its cooler. We have kayaked north to Snow Hill, Md, south to Milburn Landing, west up Nassawango Creek, and Corkers Creek at the campsite. We have also kayaked out of Byrd Park, in Snow Hill. All these kayak trails are wonderful! Plenty to see, no bugs, no mosquitoes..some biting flies if you go into the lily pad areas. The park rangers spray to stop mosquitoes. The area is also a natural mosquito repellent because of the ph in the Cypress Tree waters.

Two loops allow dogs, one with electric and one without. Clean Bathrooms in each loop with nice showers and plenty of hot water. Handicap accessible in showers, bathrooms, cabins, walkways, parking.

Kayak and canoe rentals during season and handicap accessible for kayakers with special needs.

Good fishing in the area…I always catch fish here, but not so lucky elsewhere! Lol

Nice trails all around the area. Some horses and bike trails available..even some atv.

The park has programs and we painted a picture of Chuck the Owl (he was our model) which was fun. I have more pics on my camera I will upload later.

Check out this campground. You will love it!!

Great space and location

Our site has over 10 people and we all fit. Very quiet but maybe due to COVID.

This place is great.

So I loved the campground. I got a electric site with a place for a large tent. The grounds are very well kept, respectful attendants and clean grounds. I loved the trip the scenery and the whole site. One thing I did have trouble with is the grade of the sites are somewhat downhill so if you do end up camping during a time it rains be sure to put your tent on a tarp. I was floating my tent the night it rained. Otherwise an all around amazing place to go.

Great location

Explore cape may and the boardwalk while in the area. Some sites are very tough and have some trees that occasionally make it so only a dead perfect backing could get you in.

Newbies

This is our first ever campsite with our new RV. It was a nice experience. Everybody was friendly. We had a large pull through lot with our 36 foot fifth wheel. Friends had a tiny lot with their shorter camper. They had no privacy. The sites were wooded and there were so many leaves all you could hear was leaf blowers throughout the day. Campers were blowing piles and piles of leaves along the road. Not sure what the policy is but I feel that the facility should clean up the leaves. It’s a good spot for kids.

Excellent Weekend

Love this DE state park! 5 different loops. One for all tenting, loop E. One with all pull-through sites, loop D. Three with back in spots, loops A-C. If you want quiet, stay in loop D. This was a full weekend and a bit crowded. We had an end site facing the pond (C 20). Very level sites BUT a lot of trees in the way when parking your RV. Most spots have tight areas to maneuver into with trees and hookup posts on either side. We saw several we couldn’t believe they parked without hitting a tree. Lots of trails to hike and boat rentals; canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, pontoon boat, and I think a row boat. It’s located in lower DE near the MD line. There’s a walkway between all loops to connect them and easily walkable. Has electric and water hookups.