The best STANDARD (TENT/RV) camping near
Mountain Center , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Mountain Center Camping Reviews
Joshua Tree/Coyote Lake bed dispersed desert camping

Words Can’t Describe…How amazing the evening colors are over Joshua Tree as the sunsets. The entire lake bed area and well beyond into the desert N.E. is dispersed desert camping. This spot specifically is close to the motorcycle track and 4x4 area. If your into off roading this is a fun place to check out while exploring Joshua Tree National Park. Be prepared but Walmart is like 15min away and Joashua Tree RV/camp is 3.5 miles further up the road passed Broadway and they only charged me $3 for 45 gallons of potable water that I took back to the desert. Score in a pinch.

Love this place

My family and I enjoy coming here. We live close by and take out travel trailer there . We love it the sites are great and the staff is very helpful

Great place

We had a great family weekend at this place. So beautiful staff was very friendly

Great winter destination.

Very spacious resort in the center of a gorgeous 9 hole golf course/driving range. Check-in packet was prepared & ready along w/an escort to our space, which has level concrete parking and picnic pad with table. 50/30/110, water, sewer, wifi and cable included. Catch and release fishing pond, pool, hot mineral spas, tennis, lawn bowling, big and little dog parks. The stargazing is amazing! Very clean and well maintained. Quiet respectful guests. Great area to bike. You can drive to the sculptures, Salton Sea, downtown Borrego and Julian.. you Will be driving through curvy mountain ranges to get to this destination. Stayed 1/4-8/2021

Lovely primitive sites with access to great hikes

Went before Thanksgiving weekend for a few nights. SUPER busy over the weekend and emptied out by Sunday night. Basically camping anarchy - people setting up all over the place - but you can only start fires in the provided fire ring. Some sites are exposed others super secluded. Sound definitely carries over the little valley, but people kept it low key by 10pmish.

Arrive early to get a nice site.

Great hikes that start right from the campground.

Amazing but not level

This campground was a great unexpected surprise! The kid at the check-in station is just the sweetest! We were told to go look around and pick out a site and just go back and tell them… Well the campground is HUGE and it took a while in the RV to go all the way to the end (Catfish) where they suggested, back to let them know, and then back to set up camp. But after all that we got to sit back and relax and watch the beautiful sunset!

there are a couple oddities here though - for an RV campground there is a ton of ground that is not level. Pretty much only the sites right along the water are level because you're basically on the beach.  We lucked out with one of those and no one else around because of the holiday/covid.

The lake is no-touch, so no dipping your toes in, no letting the dog splash, nothing. But a couple people were fishing.

It was so quiet and peaceful that I couldn't imaging a better last night to our vacation! I would think in normal circumstances, though, this place must be crazy and a site on the water means sharing your beautiful spot with anyone who wants to walk right by. Although you may feel like you get your own beach, you don't.

There are two dump stations but for some reason there is a plastic ring that prevents the hose from going in the ground so its a bit gross.  There's propane at the market where the front entrance is.

It felt like this is a family-run campground and I mean that in the best way!

Great Open Space

Great open space minutes from Joshua Tree park and next to Twentynine Palms town. A lot of OHV rolling around and a few scattered groups. We got some wind that luckily died down. Great place to see the sunrise and sunset.

Great/free site

During COVID, many campgrounds are shut down making social distance travel challenging. This campsite is great for a short weekend trip. We went to this site when it’s pitch dark. The unpaved road was a bit bumpy however our kids enjoyed the “roller coaster”. We went in our RV and though there wasn’t any hook ups, it was a quiet location to be away from the city.

A GREAT ESCAPE!

I researched this spot a ton and was hesitant to go - mostly because my 1987 VW Westfalia isn’t 4WD, and everything I read said you must have an off road vehicle, but the area looked beautiful and we didn’t have lots of campground options based on COVID park closures so we went.

I’m glad we did.

Box Canyon Road - the main road that goes right through Mecca Hills is paved and that drive alone was worth it. Beautiful.

The reviews were right that my car couldn’t make it to Painted Canyon or Mecca Wilderness Campground (a bit past Painted Canyon), but because it’s BLM land there’s dispersed camping anywhere off Box Canyon Road, which was amazing.

We saw old campfire pits all over and we pulled off on a dirt road that didn’t need 4WD, found a man made rock pit and setup shop. It was around a mountain so we felt totally isolated.

I had to be careful where to drive as there’s lots of sand but it was great. Glad we went. There were two other cars within site of us doing the same thing.

We had a great fire that night and enjoyed the stars and solitude.

A gem✨ 4wd highly recommended.

Loved this dispersed campground and the beautiful hike, really glad to have found this place. Stars at night and a really bright moon. Got stuck in the sand and had to be towed out, thanks to some really sweet hikers 💗 awd highly recommend.