Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 60 ft.
Caspers Wilderness County Park is located in California
8 Reviews of Caspers Wilderness County Park
Very Private

Perfect get away close to the city clean, hook ups, hiking trails, beautiful views

Hidden Gem

Casper is a great park located 15min from the city. It has three main camping areas that cater to campers, RVs and horses. There are a number of hiking trails around that range from a 1 to 12 miles. On Saturdays there’s a nature walk.

Home away from home

This is such a great location for folks in orange county who want to get out of town but don't want to be stuck in the car for ages. It feels remote, has beautiful scenery, great trails, a nature center, and comforts such as running water and bathrooms. The park rangers are friendly and helpful. Love it!

Quiet and has an amazing beach

Located just steps from the beach this quaint campsite has separated locations for tent and rv camping. Our tenet site was set between hives bushes and trees, at night it felt like we were all alone. The beach is a smooth entry for kayaks and has some of the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen.

This campground is amazing, just a few miles from the ocean @ Dana Point. Several hiking trails. Very quiet. Restrooms and showers available plus spiggots near each campsite. Abundance of small wildlife such as squirrels and rabbits. Only downfall is the mass amounts of yellow jackets. They have yellow jacket traps set up through the campground though. The staff are kind and knowlegeable. Would definitely go back.

Nice place for a local trip

This place is nice for a short stay. There are only Porto potties in the campground, but they were clean. It can be really hot in late summer early fall. It’s not far from town, yet very isolated. They often have no burn times, these are dependent on the winds.

Remote yet close to town! Lots of acres, lots of trails, clean bathroomms

Just out of the town of San Juan Capistrano, one might think that it is too city like. Once you get into the park however, you feel like you are in a remote woods with the city far behind you. The electric hook up camp area to me unfortunately it’s too close to State Route 74 however I have never stayed there so I do not know what the noise is like. It is a nice area though and much better than camping in a trailer park that is filled with concrete. Live Oak is where my husband and I stay and I am not going to tell you the space because it is the most perfect of all. There is plenty of space between most of the campsites. It is quiet And very scenic. Upon arrival they were fliers and signs that warned us to be careful because they were mountain lions in the area. We have stayed there at least a dozen times and have never seen a mountain lion. There are also rattlesnakes and although we have never seen one, a friend who was visiting us so saw one on the road on their way to our site. We have truly enjoyed this campsite and campground. I have an area where they display the history of the area and the animals in the area. Very beautiful view as well up on the hill. Although we have never gone hiking, I hear there are many many trails that are very beautiful. I am disabled but the sides and the showers and bathrooms are very friendly to those who are disabled. This is one of my favorite campground and you don’t need to get on a year in advance to get a reservation! We did have a coyote one night in our campsite in our kitchen area, while we were sitting around the fire. Once we shooed him away, he ran off. Probably why no pets!

Ranger Review: Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Casserole at Caspers Wilderness County Park

[ PROS ]

• Part of OC Parks so getting a campsite is relatively easy compared to other online booking systems like ReserveAmerica. We’re usually able to book a site 2 weeks before we decide to  go.
  • Rangers are so friendly and helpful. Honestly, really wonderful staff who love what they do.
  • Because of invasive pests found in their park recently, outside firewood is permitted. But they sell them on site for $5 a bundle. That’s really good compared to other campground that cost upward of $7+ a bundle.
  • FREE SHOWERS and clean restrooms. No tokens needed here. This is such a great amenity. Only downside is that they are a little far to get to. Caspers Wilderness Park has multiple campgrounds within the park, and each campground only has 1 shower facility (at least from what we could see).
  • Fun fact: This park used to be covered by the Pacific Ocean so there are remnants of marine fossils along the riverbanks.
  • LOTS OF HIKING TRAILS! If you love hiking, they have so many trails to choose from, from easy to strenuous. There is a trail for everyone. Also great for cyclists.
  • Lots of wilderness sighting in the park -- snakes, deer,

[ CONS ]

• No fur friends allowed so leave your pets at home. Unless you own a horse! Lots of horse trails which also means you have to watch out for horse poop on the trail.
  • They do not allow any alcohol at the park. No exceptions. It’s a family environment so no boozing here.
  • The campsites are a little close together and noise travel.
  • Lots of snakes (including rattle snakes) so be careful where you step.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - this weekend I tested Mountain House’s Homestyle Turkey Casserole. I’ve been a long time fan of Mountain House and their products, so I was really excited to try the casserole. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays, so you bet I was stoked to bring a little bit of that holiday comfort food with me while camping. As always with all Mountain House products, this was so easy to make -- literally as easy as boiling water. Directions were simple as to be expected and the ingredients inside looked like real food. Once I add the water, the smell was phenomenal. Everything rehydrated perfectly and evenly. There were very nice large pieces of turkey, lots of harvest vegetables, and a heaping amount of stuffing. For two people, the serving size was generous and this was a very satisfying/filling dish. While my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed this,  it’s not one of my favorite Mountain House meals.