Middletown, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Middletown Camping Reviews
great and they're making it better

great accommodations. the bathrooms and showers were always clean. there was some construction going on, since it was the off season. it looked like they were renovating some of the bathrooms and aisle end sites to add grass and decks. the location was close to the freeway, which was a positive and negative. you could hear some traffic from the freeway or nearby road at times, but usually not. no complaints.

Friendly campground host and stunning views

We were able to snag this site last minute when we decided to stop for the sunset. The camp host was very accommodating and actually offered to move us to a better site before we even thought to ask when we realized our original site was right next to the road. The camp host and his dog were very friendly and helpful.

The site we were moved to had a small hazard that we were able to work with(a hanging branch) that he made us hyper aware of in case if fell in the night.

The sites were far enough apart where we didn't feel like we were on top of each other.

It is within walking distance of a beautiful ecological area where we watched the sunset.

The bathrooms were clean and well taken care of and there were water spigots everywhere.

The fog rolling in for the morning was beautiful and we wanted to stay all day due to the calm and quietness of the campground.

Great place to stay

Love the place, full hookups and the staff were very kind!

Nice Location - On the Bay

My wife and I spent two days there, full hook-up with cable TV decent TV reception too. Cell worked well. Close to restaurants and grocery.

Amazing

Great place to stay, the staff were amazing with great suggestions for places to visit and eat!

Beautiful views; clean, simple amenities

This is a favorite for us. The park is clean, sites are average in size. Not much separation between sites, some bushes, but basically a gravel parking lot. A variety of site types, including many on the water.

The restrooms and showers are clean. Unlike some that show the Bay on their website, this one is actually right on the water!

There is a coffee/breakfast place, and a wine/beer/restaurant at the edge of the property. Very good and convenient!

Lots of nice walking opportunities!

Beautiful campground and park

I tent camped here and really liked it. There is also an RV section. It has flush toilets, showers and WiFi. For recreation you have the park behind the camp with great hiking trails and the whole Napa region. The people who work there are nice and do a great job keeping it up.

Best of both worlds

Tucked in the woods and yet minutes from the water! Great toilets, nice fire pits, family friendly

Beautiful sunset!!

This is such an incredible area to camp! The California coast is hard to beat. This campground is in the sand dunes, with a short walk to the beach. This is absolutely one of the best places to see the sunset. The campground had showers and full bathrooms! 10/10 would recommend.

Great base camp!

I'm your looking to explore Bodega Bay and the surrounding area this is a great camp ground to stay in. Clean, quiet and easily accessible. But you need reservations.

Sand & Sunsets

One of my favorite places to camp! The tent camp sites are kind of small, but very close to the beach. Beautiful sunsets. Campground is near bodega bay and shops. Fishing is allow but it’s pretty shallow. Rangers frequent the campground. Clean bathrooms and showers.

Well kept

For those of you that have been to Armstrong redwoods DON'T expect this to be you throwing up a tent under the redwoods. The entrance to the campground is located at the back of the park and you drive up a very winding, bumpy one lane road for about 10 minutes before you reach the campgrounds. There is a camp host at site 4 and the grounds are maintained quite well. Even the bathroom is a normal bathroom and kept clean. The site vary in size and many are on a hill so they are not exactly flat. Back to the redwoods, there are a few floating around but it is nothing like being in Armstrong redwoods.

Great Spots for Tents & Small Campers

I have camped in this area for years. I only stay in the actual campground when fires aren’t allowed, which is a lot with as dry as it’s been. Lots of motorcycles in the area. But not a bad place to get away from the city. Daily easy access, rough dirt roads, I have a truck but would feel fine driving my wife’s Subaru to these sites.

This spot is great.

This is a cool little campground right on the Russian. It’s kinda tucked away and not too busy, which made it perfect by my book. You sort of have to “hike” in about a quarter mile from the parking area and there are no real amenities to speak of except for a composting toilet and a faucet for water located by the path in. The stars at night are fantastic, and Jenner and Guerneville are close enough so you can run out and pick up anything you might have forgotten to pack in. Seriously, 5 stars.

Clean, Artistic Energy in the Redwoods

My husband and I loved this Redwood forest campground in the town of Gualala. There’s so much to do near by and the general vibe of the campers there was mellow and artistic. Lots of artists were in town for the Art in The Redwoods Festival At Gualala Art Center.

Loved every moment of peace. Plenty of hikes from the grounds. Just a short hike to the river.

Creekside camping, year round.

I happened along this campsite on my way up to Fort Bragg. It’s a small Mendocino County run campsite with 9-10 sites, first come first served. In the summer the park fills up early on Fridays, but is pretty empty mid-week. This is my go to spot for winter camping. There are a few short .5 mile trails through the redwoods and if you don’t mind getting your feet wet you can wade down the creek to the Novarro river. There is a nice secluded swimming hole and the temps are warm enough to swim in mid April. There is a general store a mile down the road in the town of Philo that has a great selection of meat and seafood and there are countless wineries for wine tasting in the valley.

PROS: Camping under big giant redwoods. Swimming hole. Only 2 hrs from San Francisco. Dog friendly, must remain on the leash but allowed on trails and along the creek, which is not allowed at many local state parks. Excellent AT&T cell phone reception, 2-4 bars LTE. I’ve had the entire park to myself in February and March.

CONS: Trash bins often are overflowing. The bathrooms aren’t kept clean daily. No host, so the campsites are often left littered with trash.

A quiet Saturday at Clear Lake State Park

Why do people in state parks think everyone in the campground wants to hear their music. This is the second day of this! And they are old farts! I am done with best of the 80’s. I don’t know if I can wait til 10pm for rangers to enforce quiet time.

Top of the hill

Bullfrog campground is located in Armstrong woods (Guerneville, CA). It's on top of a rugged drive up the woods and they are first come first serve basis. It's a close drive to the Russian river, but more tucked away from all the tourists. You can do some tough hill hikes through the Oaks or easier hikes through the Redwoods which remind me a lot of Muir Woods (but less crowded than that).

What could I say.

I mean We have been going to this campground for 21 years now, every year is a different experience, meaning the camp hosts, they can make it a great experience or not, besides that it’s a beautiful campground to stay, it has plenty of campground shade running water in bathrooms, has coin showers and dish washing station. The days are hot nights cool off enough to sleep comfortably. On a side note if your favorite spot reserve in February for the summer months.

Gualala campgrounds

I'm originally from the Midwest where we have a lot of green. Currently in the Bay Area where everything is dead and brown. It was nice to be back to the green.

Perfect campground

Stayed here in summer 2016, this place was perfect. Hidden from the winds on the beach just over a hill, this place had super flat spots and a great spot with space for our huge Mercedes Sprinter. This is honestly my favorite campground I’ve ever stayed at. Highly recommend!!

Right in the Russian River

Great location on the Russian river. Host was attentive and the facilities were clean. The sites are bit and surrounded by trees.

Best tidepools

Salt Point was so much fun. The ocean lulls you to sleep and the gentle sunrise through the trees wakes you up. The plants here are great, so many succulents and wild flowers. A short drive/bike ride is the coast where you can find some amazing hiking and some of the best tidepools I have ever seen. The hosts are very accommodating and kind. This place is a campers dream

Great Sand Dunes and Beach

Stayed hear in June. Weather was beautiful. Campground is in the trees and a short drive to the beach. Use the beach access in the campground…. too crowded if you try to get to the beach on the main highway. Bathrooms are maintained with pay showers($1 for 3 mins), limited groceries close by. Very crowded on the week ends. Campground is spaced out. No hookups, just basic camping for both RVs and tents.

Nice Family Campground

Close to the ocean at Jenner. Campground is next to the Russian River. Family activities and games for kids (playground, volleyball). Some shaded site, a mix of sunny locations and partial shade. Full RV hook ups and tent sites. River access for swimming & boating. No sandy beach.

Awesome place for families

Had a blast here. A lot of different areas for the kids. Swimming, giant bounce area, and mild weather. Coffee bar, large play grounds and near shopping for any needs.

Great getaway in a great location

Clean simple and fun place with loads to do for the family. Swim, play and explore all the north bay has to offer.

Trashed

This site is for 4wheelers and dirt bikers-- in an OHV rec area. Broken glass everywhere. Vomit on our table. Bathrooms are gross, no tp, blood, and who knows what else on the floor. Trash is overflowing.