About Furnace Creek
130
National Park Service
Furnace Creek is located in California
26 Reviews of Furnace Creek
A little oasis in the desert

We camped there in April so it was not the hottest time for Death Valley. It is a pretty big campground, but our site was more on the edge under some trees so it was perfect shady spot. Clean and nicely spaced sites. Nice and quiet most of the time. Our site was close to restrooms and a big washing/sink area so it was very noisy in the morning. It may depend on the crowd who were camping at that time as there were big groups of tourists speaking loudly early in the morning. It was a little crowded for my taste, but it was a nice campground in the middle of the desert. Visitor Center, gas station and a general store are nearby so it is convenient location and a great resting camp location after exploring the hot desert. There is so much to see at Death Valley, but make sure to check out cool places like Rhyolite ghost town.

You always know how hot is at Furnace

What can I say you are in Death Valley where the heat can get so insane you can feel it collapsing your lungs and melting your face but at this campground that can be a lot less of a problem as you are welcomed with the temperature at the visitor's center. Sure it is still hot and miserable most of the time, but what better way to embrace it than to just let it all hang out so you can see it.

I was very interested in this campground just inside of California when I was staying in Nevada over the first part of the year, it had great reviews and looked like a nice campsite. When I arrived I was not disappointed at all it was well kept, offered some shade and had nice even sites for tents or RVs alike.

Unlike my usual desire to have no amenities, I feel like staying in place like this I need a few luxuries just in case. So it was nice to find sites with electrical hook ups and potable water. The electrical hook ups made it nice for having a small fan which didn't rely on batteries which can drain quickly and that made it more than comfortable on the hot evening.

Where my tent was located the short shrubs provided a nice wind break however I did notice in some of the more open spots it can get a little blustery and we noticed several dust devils popping up across the area in the distance, very common for this region.

The campsite does accept reservations however when we were there mid week in late spring it wasn't packed so no reservation was needed.

I did notice that some of the areas were marked with heat warnings which included closure postings during certain times and warnings about temperatures after 10 a.m. I was fortunate in that it wasn't terrible just yet but already it was beginning to get that way despite it being spring. By summer I would not recommend staying here unless you were able to get inside of an RV it would be far to hot for myself in my little tent.

TIPS:

• Keep hydrated when staying here or at any of the Death Valley campgrounds.

• Obey postings of warnings, they are there for a reason!! We were listening to a ranger in the visitor center and he was telling us some statistics and it was enough to make you want to listen to everything you hear them say!!

• Fuel up before getting to 1/4 tank anytime you are entering the Death Valley or Mohave area you never know what will happen and you would rather be safe than sorry in case you are rendered stranded , at least with gas you can rely a bit on your air.

Great location, very quite.

I've stayed at this campground a few times and love it. There are bathrooms close by and pay showers at the hotel within walking distance. Some of there spaces even have good tree cover. It's a great place to stay if you are planning to explore Death Valley. I would definitely stay here again.

TIPS:

You will do lots of driving getting from one trail to the other in Death Valley so get started early

Make sure take lots if water EVERYWHERE

Take advantage of the showers, they cost around $7, bring cash!

Everyone is very friendly here!

Perfect spot

I camped at this campground 3 times in the month of mid/late April and it was absolute perfection. The weather was ideal. The location is in a prime spot to all the hikes and spots we wanted to explore. All the campers were so friendly and sweet. A very enjoyable experience and I can’t wait to go back again next April!

Large Sites

Large sites near Furnace Creek village…store, restaurants, gift shop, post office, golf course, and more…large outside sink to wash up after a long day of hiking…unbelievable sunrises and sunsets…best campground in DVNP. Some trees with little shade, so it’ll be scorching in summer…was 116 degrees at 7 pm when we checked in, but we sucked it up…had moonlit night hiking to ourselves with no competition for trails.

Badwater Basin at night BEFORE the moon comes up will blow your mind. Plan your trip to coincide with a new moon or late moonrise.

Awesome general store & showers, laundry,restaurant

Easygoing great rv and tent sites close to all Death Valley sites

Solid NP Campground with amazing night views

Camped in March and it was super windy that night. Nice bathroom facilities. AMAZING night views.!

Close to the visitor center.

Large busy campground. Facilities are nice and clean. Walking distance to the visitor center. Close to many of the more popular attractions in this part of the park.

Very Bare Kinda hot

The place was very bare and pretty hot. A few tall bushes and patches of trees around made for some good shade. But not very much. A lunch bench/table fire ring / grill. There are restrooms and drinking water but not very many. Fortunately you can park right next to camp. The place was pretty empty the time we were there. We went late April. Sunset evenings was nice and weather was comfortable. About an 75 degrees F with a beach like wind gust. This made it super comfortable at the dunes. The camp spot is really just a spot to take a break, and head out to explore death valley. I wouldnt stay there longer than 1 night, and only at night, specially between march and november. Although would make some good star pictures.

Can you go wrong in the Valley?

Can you go wrong in Death Valley in December when it's not above 70 degrees? This was our first camping trip to DVNP. We decided to come here because a massive snow storm hit our original target of Zion. Though the first two campgrounds in Furnace Creek were full, we were relieved to have snagged one of the walk up sites. We got there just in time for sunset and gladly ate in the valley while we explored the resort area. The camp site was great, clean, and the bathroom facility had what we needed for the stay.