Rio Verde, ARIZONA

Most Recent Rio Verde Camping Reviews
Eagle View

Beautiful and clean!

Great stay!

This is a working farm. The RV spot was between date palms and next to the dog agility course. The tent sites were in the back and seemed nice and private. The property has a farm stand where you can pick up eggs, homebaked goodies, and other produce anytime using a self-pay box. Janna was very prompt in her response and squeezed us in last minute. After checking Airbnb and Hipcamp this was the best place we found close to the city.

Great place

Little dusty and noisy but plenty of room to camp and the trails are great!

Enjoyed my stay.

360 full hook ups. 100 water and electric only spots. Lots of dry camping spots. Heated pool, laundromat and on site restaurant.

Nice spot to get out of Phx for a night or two

Drive up to test out my new RTT. Hardly anyone there and the saloon has good food and drink.

Exciting

If you love the Sonoran desert landscape, this will be one of the most beautiful parks you will ever have been to.

Cool spot, too much trash

The river was beautiful! The camp spots were close to the river with nice big fire rings. Just like a lot of low desert camping in Arizona it’s dusty and dry with lots of prickly plans. But the trail and the trees near the river were lush. My biggest complaint about the spot was all the garbage everywhere. Come on people, burn your trash or take it home! There’s no need to trip over piles of water bottles & beer cans, cigarette butts, McDonald’s wrappers and plastic bags.

Close to town, yet far enough away for hiking and relaxing

Another Maricopa County parks campground which is great for hiking and relaxing.

Very well taken care of. The park has beautiful hiking trails and a great nature center, which offers activities and the regional library. There are a couple of playgrounds in the park as well.

Some hiking trails are within walking distance of the campground, others you will need to drive to.  Maricopa trail runs through the park.

The campground itself is very clean, including the restrooms and showers. It is quiet and the campsites all have electric and water hookups, picnic table and fire pit. Sites are far enough from each other so it doesn't feel crowded. Not much vegetation on the campground itself, so sunshine in abundance.

Great for hiking and relaxing

Maricopa County Park in Cave Creek. Very well taken care of.

The park has beautiful hiking trails and a great nature center, which offers activities.

The campground itself is very clean. It is quiet and the campsites all have electric and water hookups, picnic table and fire pit.

There is an older area, sites 1 through 42, which offers more space in between the spaces. the newer area, sites 43 through 55 are closer to each other, but still doesn't feel crowded.

Our Favorite Spot

We love camping here, its so close to home and it's dispersed! We usually camp right on the water. It can get really packed but we have never had bad neighbors. Seems to be kept pretty clean and there are restrooms.

Good

We really liked this camp ground, we just didn't like the experience. The spaces are spread apart and there is plenty of room. But you can have up to 10 people, 2 car and ONLY 2 tents. So be prepared to sleep in groups I guess, we weren't. Also the camp host was nice but seemed to cater to the people she knew, she drives by A LOT and checked up on us almost every hour, we go to camp to get away, not be bothered. She really did not make us feel welcomed but we really did like where the camp site was so we're just hoping a new host is there if we ever go back.

Lots of activities

This 55+ community is very well organized.

55+

Another well organized and well maintained park. You have to request month ahead if you are not staying for a long period of time.

Currently Closed due to flood rush

I wanted to stay down by the lake but the washes are closed due to the flash flood risk. The recent fire much of the vegetation that stems the flow of water. I would imagine that the campground will open back up after monsoon season but might periodically close based on the weather patterns. At least until the vegetation regrows.

I ended up staying on the south side if Davis Wash just off Apache Trail in a dispersed campground. I was the only one out there which was nice and spooky. Being that it was Friday the 13th. I figured it would be better to be with the four legged creatures than the two legged. Better behaved. Nice night that cooled off enough to sleep at midnight.

Loosely named a "Resort"

This place is not the type of resort you "girl's trip" to. It's the kind of resort where you plan to spend all day on the lake and come back to a shower and a real bed. You can choose to camp in your tent/RV or start in the motel.

The resort offers:

• breakfast, lunch and dinner
  • watercraft rentals
  • two boat ramps
  • convenience store

There is a $10 fee to use any of their land. Even if you're just launching your boat. Emergency personnel have a base on the property which is comforting. Cell service is scarce on the lake but works great close to the resort. Only gave the resort 4 stars because I prefer camping around less people.

Ranger Review: Primus Essential Pot Set at Crabtree Wash

Campground Review:

Crabtree Wash is a small campground next to the Apache Lake Marina and Resort. There are two ways down to the wash: one fun dirt road to take your 4x4 vehicle or service road 79. Service road 79 is the same road you take to the resort and is paved all the way down. Crabtree is run by the Tonto National Forest so you must have a Tonto Pass to enjoy the day or night. Passes can be purchased at any Tonto Ranger station, Canyon Lake or most gas stations on the way down Apache Trail.

The campground itself is fairly small and first come/first serve. This campground is unique because it is next to the “resort”. The campground has toilets and trash pickup. The resort offers many things for sale (firewood, ice, lunch…) so it’s like camping out in the desert next to a convenience store.

When planning a trip to Apache lake plan accordingly as this is a desert campground. In September I sweat bullets until about midnight when the temperature dropped. The lake the next day made it all better.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt (what I refer lovingly to as a Dyrt Ranger), I get the privilege to test products. At Crabtree Wash, I tested Primus’ Essential Pot Set 1.3L. I have been in need of specific camping pots as the kitchen pots I was using were not getting the job done. These pots were impressive.

The set comes with two 1.3L pots, one frying pan, a pot gripper and a carrying bag. First impressions: love the carrying bag, pans look well made and perfect size to cook for my one or two person camping trips.

I was able to throw my plate and silverware into the carrying bag with the pots so everything is self contained. The flying is nonstick and doubles as a lid to the pots.  The pot gripper is okay, the design is akin to scissors. I’m planning on upgrading to the Primus Crimp Pot Gripper as I fully expect to drop a pan of boiling water because I loosen my grip on the gripper. Overall I am completely stoked to add the Primus pots to my camping gear.

Camping only During October 15 – April 15

This campground is not ideal for trailers as you park in a parking lot.  There are pit toilets.  Picnic tables at each site (5).  There is a $9 per night fee and also a Tonto Pass is needed. Camping is only allowed from October 15th to April 15th. During the summer, the area is day use only.

Quick get away spot

Well laid out park large sites super clean restrooms. Bit warm to hot May to October

Not the nicest in the area, but as cheap as they come

First, the staff is very friendly and accommodating. They’re open until 5pm on Sundays, which is rare here in Arizona. They only charge $145 for a week, which is $50-$100 cheaper than anybody else in town (most charge at least twice that, and some still make you pay for electricity).

As for the park, well it’s small and older, and most of the people there are full time. Still, it’s very quiet and far enough from town to feel some relief, while being close enough that you’re not cut off from the rest of the world. The WiFi is about the same as anywhere else, but cell service works fine.

I’ve now stayed here twice, and would say that if you’re looking for somewhere to lay your head for the night, or even a week, you could do much worse.

Clean park with necessary ammenities

The owners are an older couple who were very friendly, and very accommodating. We called at 7pm on a Sunday looking for a spot that night. Even though they were technically closed they met us there, and helped us get set up. Ended up staying for an entire month, and had zero issues with this nice, quiet community.

Such a great site!!

We had a great time here, sites are good size and well kept! Amenities were in great condition and our favorite day use river spot is 15 minutes away👌🏻 A+++

This is a nice primitive campground

We have camped here in the spring. Nice hikes in the area and a great place to get away while it is cool

Nice place

Nice place to camp. All the roads are paved and full hookups. Many burros in the area.

Beautiful 55+ community

This community has so many organized activities for residents. They have almost everything you would need on site. Everything for activities, concerts, games and shows. Great for snowbirds or somewhere you need to stay a few months.

Full time

This is a no age limit Rv park. Has laundry facility and clubhouse. No your ideal park if looking for something overnight or short time.

Hiking trails and Day Use

Hiking trails are well established and marked with emergency location tabs. Maricopa County park required fee. Has a wonderful library and nature center on site. Baseball and softball field, along with shaded ramadas for picnics and get togethers.

Fast get away

From beginning to end always great views from the trials. I can go for a few hours hike or all day.

Desert Tortoise

Great spot if the lake is on the fuller side because you have access to the water right down the hill. We beach our pontoon every year. There are bathroom with running water and water available. No hookups on this loop. Well maintained.

Day Site Only

No camping at this site. Only for day recreation. There is a fun offroading trail just east here.

Beautiful Views

Beautiful view of the backside of the Superstition Mountains. Most of the way to Roosevelt Lake is a dirt road. All vehicles can drive this trail. Few different lookout points with picnic tables and restrooms.