Cameron, ARIZONA

Most Recent Cameron Camping Reviews
Zero

Zero do not stay

Horrible

We paid for a premium deluxe site Propane tank was empty so we couldn’t grill dinner We bought wet firewood from campground to try to grill supper The site was unkept w piles of pine needles It needed a lot of upkeep Needed the pavers replaced it was an extremely hazardous situation tripping hazard as one of our party members had just had ankle surgery Giant piles of pine needles knee high by trash cans at site. Went to dump our tanks in the am and the sewer was clogged We have stayed here several times We will not return due to the rude manager girl in the office.

Peaceful in late April

Great camp site for tent campers!

Poor

We reserved a premium site No gas in the bbq had to purchase firewood for our grill to make supper The site was not level and horrible! 3 huge piles of pine needles the bricks for the patio were not level and tilted over on the edge (someone can hurt themselves) The morning we decided to drain our grey water thank god we didn’t pull the black water the drain was clogged ! We were extremely disappointed The evening staff was great the morning staff was out of control

Right in the middle of it all

Tight quarters amongst other RVs but you can’t beat the proximity to the rim. A 5 minute bike ride and you can cruise along the south rim. The free shuttle bus is also a great way to hop along and see the various highlights. We’d stay here again!

Amazing

My dream has come true

Love this campground

I have stayed in May and mid October. Both times were perfect. Clean and nice. Mule deer wander through, Ravens appear as well. Close to shuttle stop and General Store.

Awesome night of Car camping

Found a spot very easily, even at night. Had plenty of space for large or small groups. Far enough out of the city to be peaceful, but close enough to be an easy drive into town!

Great Experience, right by the Canyon.

We stayed in the large-group campsites, and it was very nice with plenty of space for our group. We were able to have a nice fire and were only a few minutes from the Grand Canyon where we got to take sunset photos.

Grand Canyon Camping at its Best

Mather Campground is a 15min walk from the south rim trail. There are lots of campsite but they fill up quickly so make a reservation. There’s a store, laundry and shower facility for the campers but it can be a walk from a distant campsite. Make sure you check in when you arrive.

Cell Service: Slow, Roaming, Verizon.

Central to south rim and all its glory

Large well maintained campground in the heart of the south rim. You can expect all the usual NPS services and amenities- fire pit, picnic table, pit bathrooms and many many families on vacation.

The location at the heart of south rim is great and unbeatable and makes the strangers kids shouts worth it.

Loved this campground

I took away one star because there is no showers.  This was our favorite campground on our trip through Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon and Sedona.  We were tent camping.  The campground was very quite and the tent sites level with table and fire pit.  There are pit toilets which can really smell bad in the summer.  It was really cold when we were there and we were across from the toilets and it was not a problem.  In the summer I would make sure to pick a site far away from the toilets.  This place was much nicer than the Park campgrounds we stayed in.  Also there is a small town near by for food and restaurants.  Only a short drive to the South Rim.

Great location, a little noisy.

Great location, no reservation needed, but you do need to get there pretty early for a spot. Camping spots are really spacious. A little noisy. Bathrooms were clean and stocked other than soap.

Great & quiet but close to the Grand Canyon!

Large campsite with lots of shade and space between sites. Several toilets as well as fire pits and grills at each site. Best thing is the proximity to the park without the crowds!

Great free site but...

Great place to camp near the pay for sites but it’s near the road and a lot of the sites are on a slope.

Great free site but...

Remote & Peaceful

Free Camping. Great place to get away from the Phoenix summer heat. The first half mile past the houses off I40 seem to be where the long stay (14) day RV and trailers camp out. If you continue up the mountain past them you can find the more dispersed camping away from others. It is very quiet up there and in August the temps were around 50 in the morning and around 80 during the day. The reason for only 4 stars is the bees. Not sure if they are burrow bees or not but they were everywhere and took over all water sources so keep that in mind. Also cattle go through the woods so don’t be shocked when you wake up to a a few 700lb cows in your campsite.

Morning Glory Yurt

We stayed here over Labor Day weekend 2019. We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the most remote yurt, Morning Glory. Morning Glory has great views and several people (staff and other visitors on the trails) mentioned that Morning Glory is the best yurt to stay in since it is both remote and it has amazing views of the San Francisco Peaks. Additionally, Morning Glory is also placed in the middle of a field with a nearby bench which is also really nice and makes this particular yurt feel serene. Arizona Nordic Village, previously known as Flagstaff Nordic Center, has a lodge, front country cabins and yurts (which are all within a few hundred feet of the lodge and nearby the highway), as well as back country yurts that range 1-3 miles away from the lodge (Morning Glory is a back country yurt). For the back country, AZNV offers gear shuttles at an extra cost of $40. However we packed all of our belongings in since we were not staying for more than a few days. Yurts and cabins come with a battery operated light inside, a propane grill and stove next to the cabin, porta potty a few yards away, nearby picnic table, 2 twin sized sleeping mats, and 2-4 folding chairs (2 in small yurts; 4 in large yurts), a small trey table, and stove (and stove brush and pan to clean ash out), and a fire ring. From what I can tell they also give you some firewood and a 7-gallon jug of water to put out your fire. For an additional cost you can purchase additional wood, which I did since I was unaware they would supply some firewood, but we hardly used this since we did not require the stove in the cabin since the weather at night is in the 50’s. We did try the stove out and found that 4 pieces of wood heated the cabin up a considerable amount within the span of a few minutes. After booking you get a confirmation email with details for your trip. The day of check in I got a courtesy call and was told I could stop in the lodge at check in for a nap and more info. The staff we encountered were all super friendly. We were told there is a black bear that roams the area but we did not see it and heard the bear usually does not make its way up to Morning Glory. Additionally, while vehicle are not allowed in the Forrest, Morning Glory is near a Forrest fire road which had some vehicles on it; I’m not sure that this is common— may have been due to the long holiday weekend. Additionally, I believe AZNV has one or two trucks and ATVs they use to help transport gear. Overall, I had fun and would go back. I don’t love paying for camping (We usually do free dispersed camping and pitch a tent), however this area is fun enough I would go back. The yurt experience was on par for what we are used to when it comes to camping, but it was nice not having to pitch a tent, blow up an air mattress, etc. Lastly, they do haul out your trash for you. I do recommend bringing baby wipes since the trails are dusty, and a headlamp for at night.

Cell service: I have Verizon and had four bars at the Morning Glory yurt and service at the lodge— however, service between the two was spotty.

Awesome, peaceful campground!

I loved how peaceful and serene this campground is. So easy to check in and out; there is also a laundromat and showers on site! The rim is only a short bus ride (provided by the park) away! About 5 minutes! Loved it and will be back again!

Wow

We loved camping here. If you don't like a lot of people then staying on the east side of the canyon is so much better. Terrific camp ground and the host is the best you'll find!

Great camping place!

This Area is nice for a nice weekend get away the area is 15 min away from the city! Is got open camping spots and there is good space between them! There is a shooting range near by! Definitely coming back!

Perfect location

Just the perfect combination of being close to the canyon, and out alone in nature. Lots of trees for hammocks, views of the sunset, and even wandering elk make this campsite incredible

Large spots, neat elk!!

We had a group spot to ourselves, lots of space and the site was tucked between the trees. Elk walking around all the time, really neat to see. A lot of restrooms. The crows are mischievous so keep all of your stuff stowed away. Close drive to the canyon rim and hiking, we would stay here again.

Phantom Ranch, Grand Canyon

like the previous reviewers, you need to have reservations to stay at the ranch. i looked for a reservation, they were full, put my name on the lottery list, and got a spot the next day. Super lucky we were. Hike down not bad, about 4 hrs down, and hike up not too bad about 4 1/2 hours. Its was 123 when we arrived at the ranch before 10. we left south rim at 530. we soaked in the stream alongside the ranch which was a much needed cool down. food was good, the mess hall was filled with hikers from all over the world. dorm rooms were cooled by a swamp cooler. bunks were clean, showers were cold, and bunkmates were full of info and funny stories.

Mather Campground, Grand Canyon National Park

Drove in at the last minute, the sign says full, but talked to backcountry office ranger and he got us a site right in the middle of mather. Elk everywhere, huge site, with fire pit and picnic table.  Flat tent pad, under a tree. and a lot quieter than I thought it would be.  We were headed down to Phantom ranch the next day super early and was within 10 minutes of backcountry office on the south rim.

Greatest Camp Location

The site was beautiful and you could hear the Elk early in the morning and evening. 4G LTE was readily available if you need it.

Definitely recommend if you're visiting the Grand Canyon. Minutes from the park entrance.

Starry Nights in South Rim

Tent camp in an officially recognized International Dark Sky Park!

Bathrooms and drinking water are located through out each loop. Shower and laundry a little walk at the entrance to the campgrounds.

By day there is plenty of shade and trees. The National Park shuttle system has a stop a the front of the campsite to get you anywhere you need to go.

Nights are cool and the starts are incredible, one the the best star gazing locations in the nation.

Busy, but nice

Campsite 107

Was able to secure a reservation about two weeks in advance for a Saturday night stay in July. If you weren't able to get a reservation in advance, check back a week or two prior to your desired dates for cancellations.

The check in was easy, only took a few seconds to find our reservation and give us directions to the site.

The site was mostly level, clean, and fairly large considering the size of the campground. There was a good mix of shade to put the tent and chairs, and open sky to view the stars. Looking around, we probably had one of the least shaded sites, but it wasn't too bad. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring with a grill.

The site was fairly close to a restroom and there was some noise from the air dryers and the door opening and closing throughout the night. They were clean though, and there's a sink around back for dishwashing. I would not pick a site right next to a bathroom: there was a site maybe 15 feet away and that's too close.

All of our neighbors were nice and quiet, but we could hear a couple loud groups coming from the far parts of the campground. The hosts are very strict about the generator curfew (love it!) and not stringing stuff from trees. Hammocks are fine, but you need to take it down when you're not actually in it. This is to protect the animals who will wander through your site.

Watch for lots of pedestrians walking down the road to and from the showers. We didn't use those facilities.

There are lots of elk and deer that are waaay too comfortable around humans, so make sure you keep all food put away, watch your pets, and take your trash to the dumpsters. It was interesting seeing the elk, but sad at the same time. One of our neighbors left a trash bag out overnight and the elk (and later the crows) destroyed it.

The campground is about a 20 minute walk from Mather Point and the visitors center via a paved walking path that starts just past the Juniper Loop. There's a whole network of paths, mostly paved, some dirt, around the Village that connects most everything, plus the shuttle bus. The general store is about 1/4 mile from the campground entrance.

Near zero cell service with Sprint. Just enough to get an occasional push notification.

We absolutely loved Desert View Campground !

My grandchildren and I arrived in July of 2018 and spent two nights here in my 17ft Winnebago Micro Minni Winni Camper. The campground host “Bill” was awesome! I was new to parking my camper and Bill helped to get her in position.

We enjoyed this campground so much, I decided if there was ever an opening for a campground host, I would be the first to apply!

I did and yes, I got the job!!! Come on out and visit Miss Belle and Miss Roe at Desert View Campground!

Pretty cool!

Great camping spot. Lots of spaces. Coin operated showers and laundry. This campground is literally within walking distance from the Grand Canyon Village which was very nice. Beautiful place.