About Norris Campground
National Park Service
Norris Campground is located in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming
6 Reviews of Norris Campground
can't go wrong with yellowstone

Yellowstone, being the beautiful place that it is, is one of the most well trafficked national parks in the U.S. This being said, it's campgrounds fill up super quickly. If you're looking to stay within the park, plan your trip pretty far in advance so you can be sure to get a spot. However, there are some campground that don't take reservations and just do it one a first come, first served basis.

Norris campground is one that does not take reservations. When my friends and I were coming through Yellowstone, I thought it was super lucky that we managed to find a site. The sites are pretty nice too; flat and some are pretty secluded. They seemed to have a lot more tent sites than RV sites, so if you have an RV, I wouldn't necessarily bet on finding a site here.

Although the camp is nice, you don't spend much time at it when you're in Yellowstone. The park is beautiful. I prefer the less touristy hikes, but of course you have to go see Old Faithful and The Grand Prismatic Spring and all the other touristy things.

Get out there and have fun!

Nice Campground

Norris is a nice campground. It has all the amenities you could ever want.  Only downside is its fairly busy, however I don’t think there is really anyway around this in Yellowstone.

Cool older campground

Cool older campground with tons of old national park character, with TONS to look at in the area between the Park Ranger musseum and well, Norris Geyser Basin

Good!!

we camped here from June 12-15. The campground only takes limited reservations and the rest first come first served. We arrived around 8.30am and waited in line for around an hour but ended up getting a spot. Good location as is central to the rest of Yellowstone. $20 a night , no showers though so if you are staying more than a couple of days we drove to a campground nearby which had pay showers $4 had a couple of bison visit during our stay and all campsites have bear lockers

Good experience and decent location.

I thought this campsite was great overall, but the campsites were very close together and our neighbors were very loud until past quiet hours. There was a sink to wash dishes, and running water which was very helpful and the bathrooms were nice! The location in the park was decent considering how big Yellowstone is. You have to drive over an hour to get to Mammoth Hot Springs and at least 30 minutes to get to Old Faithful visitor center and main area.

Good Base to Explore

We camped in Yellowstone at the Norris Campground during the summer of 2011. It was at the end of a long trip for us. We used our camp as a base to explore Yellowstone National Park. In our experience, the fire wood was somewhat expensive. The park itself was amazing. Lots of waterfalls and rivers. Wonderful spots to sit. We had a bison walk alongside our car and I was reminded on the elephants I saw at Addo Elephant Park in South Africa. One morning we had deer run through our campsite. It was very disappointing to watch a mother bear and her cub being chased by tourists, whose cars were lined up for almost a mile around a meadow. Old Faithful was faithful as ever. Yellowstone is so huge, I recommend finding the back country parts and having as little impact on the park as possible.