About Canyon - Yellowstone National Park

Canyon Campground Yellowstone —elevation 7,900 feet (2408 m)—lies in a lodgepole pine forest at Canyon Village, south of the Washburn range and near the breath-taking Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone River. Canyon Village offers stores, restaurants, and lodging. Nearby hikes include Cascade Lake, Mount Washburn, and the Canyon Rim trails.

National Park Service
Canyon - Yellowstone National Park is located in Wyoming
17 Reviews of Canyon - Yellowstone National Park
Clean, Close by others

This campground was nice, had flush toilets, a place to wash dishes, and water. There was no tent pads, had picnic tables, and a bear box. As expected with a big park there are lots of camper around, luckily most people respected the quiet hours.

Lovely spot

We enjoyed our two night tent stay. Facility was clean. Bathrooms nearby, shower and laundry at check in building. Crowded campground but plenty or room at our site. Nice place to stay inside Yellowstone National Park.

Might be the best in yellowstone

We stayed at quite a few and this might be the worst. People were leaving it was so bad. Why dont they let you pick your site?? Hot showers and close to all the action but that is about it. Too bad most of the canyon area hikes are closed do to the canyon collapsing in a bit. Still epic!

Camp sight was still covered in snow

Great location in the park. The campsight also has showers and takes reservations which isnt true of all campgrounds here. Unfortunatley, the site I was given was covered in snow and had to set the tent up infront of my car. Campsight would have been much better if the host had cleared the site before selling it.

Convenient Location & Friendly Staff

This campground is in a great location. It is centrally located in the park and campers can easily walk to all of the restaurants and shops in the area. It is very close to the falls and showers are available. Some of the loops do not have a dish washing station available so it took longer to clean up after meals.

Great central location

Great location, showers are here! Only problem is the the entire side of the grand canyon on the yellowstone…..not accessible. Kind of a bummer. We were right next to the bathrooms. They really should let you pick you site. Sites are assigned at random.

Canyons home of the lodge pole pines

Canyons is a nice campground to give you easy access to Norris, Mammoth, and Lamar Valley sides of the park. We didn’t want to take our chances on the first come sites, so Canyons was a good fit. We camp in a Sprinter, and our RV site was downhill and on the camp road. There was no way you could back into the site. The campground manager made it right, and gave us one of their emergency overflow sites across from the showers. Great site! Two showers a night were included with our stay. If you don’t use your showers, you can donate them at the shower counter to another camper. Extra showers are $4.50. They have a laundry area too as well as RV services.

Ideally located within Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone is a huge national park, so it is to your advantage to be centrally located. Canyon campgrounds give you easy access to all parts of the park without having to change campsites. It is a large campground, with clean and handy laundry and shower facilities. The sites are wooded and spread across several loops. The highly informative visitor's center is in a complex of shops, restaurants, and post office. Everything you need is right there, and the employees of the park are helpful and friendly. From Canyon, you have easy access to both Hayden and Lamar Valleys, which are prime wildlife viewing areas. You can also easily get to the thermal areas, as well as the stunningly beautiful Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone waterfalls. There are countless hikes, long and short, throughout the park. Canyon is my go-to campground whenever I am at Yellowstone!

Has amenities, but lacks authenticity

On the surface, these campgrounds look great and have ALL the amenities (shops, showers, etc.), but these are strictly commercial sites where I feel they've lost focus on what matters: nature. There's pavement and big roads everywhere. Sure, you're nestled among the pines, but there's no beauty in these sites, it doesn't feel connected to the wilderness at all. you are jam-packed with other people, and due to the huge size of the grounds, rangers aren't able to help monitor loud people or rulebreakers.

ultimately, my experience wasn't one that felt like I was sleeping in nature - it just felt like I was sardined in with 100 other people into the outdoors.

Yellowstone rocks

I camped here with my family a few years back, and I loved it! Beautiful scenery, and the campground was very clean and well-spaced. We weren't camping on top of anyone else, but we're still close enough to get to know people. Loved it overall!