About Potawatomi State Park
No WiFi
Potawatomi State Park is located in Wisconsin
18 Reviews of Potawatomi State Park
Great campsites and close to everything

As an RV camper, we often struggle with state parks and finding a wooded campsite that will fit our camper. This campground had lots of electrical only sites that were shaded, some having awesome cliffs and rock features. The bathrooms were nice and showers clean, and there’s a full camp store that also rents small water craft. It’s right on the ice age trail, and there are 3 and 5 mile paved loops for running or biking. Lots of small beaches (rocky) and little places to picnic. We rode an easy 2 miles to Mary’s Waterfront restaurant to enjoy cocktails and dinner on the lake. It’s an easy drive to all of the Door County activities you’d like, without the crowds of Peninsula State Park. The campsites were very spacious, so we had room to set up tents next to our RV. We would gladly stay again!

Great camping in Door County

Nice sized sites. Nice bathrooms. Loved the hiking trails. We were able to get a walk-in site with electric. It was before memorial weekend so nice and quiet.

Big state park

Coming was great. Needs some improvements on the hiking areas.

Great park with great sites

We were tent camping in site 121. The site was very large and not very close to the next site over, it didn’t appear that many sites were very close together. The trails from the site were very scenic and perfect for all abilities both biking and hiking. The only downside was we arrived over an hour before the office closed and the rangers had already left for the evening.

10 stars?

IMO best place to camp in Door County. Hiking , biking, great jump off point to see the peninsula.

Sites very close together

I don't recommend the inside sites in the north loop - sites are super duper close together with only sparse trees in between. It was a noisy night with dogs from a couple different sites barking back and forth at each other into the wee hours, and my campsite neighbors getting in late and bickering as they set up their tent, their headlights facing my tent.

The map was misleading as to the location of the toilets. I don't like to be immediately adjacent to the bathrooms, and I picked site 97 with this in mind. Unfortunately, there were two buildings with vault toilets (only one indicated on map), one of which I'd estimate was under 50 feet from my tent pad. Luckily, smell wasn't an issue, but it did mean a lot of foot traffic nearby.

The park itself was nice - lovely view of the water from the trails, maps at most trail intersections and the trails were not too busy.

Peaceful

Excellent sites wooded and overlooking water.

Awesome views

We used a tent set up with a couple of friends and found it to be a good time. There’s a ton of trails with some good views of Sturgeon Bay. The proximity to town makes it super convenient and acts as a good jumping place to see the rest of the Door County Peninsula.

Nice little out of the way park.

Note that there is no beach. The best little camp store I've ever seen (ice cream to wood to equipment). Close to Sturgeon Bay, so you can run into town for supplies.

Very quiet mid week in the fall

If you want a more peaceful getaway in Door Co (in the fall) Potawatomi is a good bet.  It's not in the center of the Door Co hubBub - but it's close and a lovely park in it's own right.  The campground is away from the water but trails leave right from the campground to get into the park and near the water…and there is a nice selection of trails to choose from.  Our campsite was one of many surrounding an open area that was nice as it was quite rainy when we were there so less claustrophobic than being buried deep in the woods.  Our campsite was separated nicely from adjacent ones though a little small, especially as we also had a tarp (did I say it was rainy?!?!). So often I think this Park is overlooked because it is south of the main Door Co energy - but it is a park well worth visiting - It's also where the Ice Age Trail starts!!!