Kitchen , WEST VIRGINIA

Most Recent Kitchen Camping Reviews
Easy and convenient

We chose this campground because it's proximity to the main hub of New River Gorge. It was definitely quick and easy to get to from the main headquarters of the park. It's not the most remote or spacious campground but definitely worked. For a Saturday night in camping season, they were not very full (especially in the tent section), so the extra space was nice. Some of the RV sites looked pretty close with little privacy (but we're tent campers so my opinion doesn't really count). All that being said, there's a back section of the campground that looked very new and sites had more space and scenery.

The bathrooms were very nice and clean! The owners were also great. It was pouring when we checked in and they gave us a different tent site than originally booked so that we had a shelter out of the rain to set up our tent.

Overall, I'd recommend the campground!

Remote campground for fishing

I was visiting New River Gorge National Park and saw this on the park map. I was looking to relocate, so decided to check it out; I couldn't find much information online at all. I didn't move here because it was too far out of the way for my purposes, but that may have been because I came from the direction of Fayetteville rather than Beckley. I think it's better suited for someone who lives in the area and is looking for an escape.

There are 2 campgrounds, though I only managed to locate 1. I didn't have cell phone coverage to locate a more detailed map, but there's one here: https://diyoutdoors.wvu.edu/files/d/5c5f7ff9-9c56-45bd-a3a0-1609fbc61088/plumorchardfinal11x17.jpg

I visited Beech Bottom camping area, which is close to the lake, but none are true lakefront sites. 16 of the sites are on a spur toward the lake after a several mile drive up and down gravel roads with numerous curves as it follows the contours of the lake; a 17th site is off the main road. There's a small brook on one side with sites sometimes straddling it (parking one side and tent/picnic table/fire ring the other). A few of the sites are quite large. It's self-service, pay your $10 nightly fee.

The water at the site is not potable, so plan accordingly. Latrines are provided.

Just past the campground spur is a boat launch area with a small dock. Many people were out fishing- but no one was camping on a beautiful weekday in late April.

The other camping area is at the rifle range…It's much closer to the dam, but I didn't know it was there, so didn't explore it.

Peaceful!

It’s such a peaceful place to visit. Kids can play without worry.

Comfortable and laid back

We stopped here for one night as a stop for our trip home to NY from SC. We checked in around 7 pm and they walked us to our site AND helped us back in! This was our first trip with this camper and it was such a help after a day of driving in the rain. The site (19) was roomy and level. The owners were friendly. The playground was great for our daughters to burn off some energy. We would stay here again, especially for a weekend to see the area. We also had full hookups which was great.

Lovely in Spring

Our Spring time excursion at Beech Fork was delightful. All of the cherry trees and foliage are full in bloom and lovely. The lake was lower but it was still nice. The bath houses were impressively clean. They have a nice Park Head quarters with a general store that has grocery items, firewood, and cool souvenirs. There was even a retro arcade with games, air hockey and claw machines which the kids enjoyed. Extremely nice paved walking trails, parks, playgrounds, basketball court and pool (which wasnt open yet). Overall, the area eas clean, well maintained, easily accessible and still fully immersed in nature. We camped in our Jeep liberty and had a blast. We will definitely be back in summer to swim. Plenty of launch points for a boat or kayak if you have one.

Nice Camground - Hard to reserve RV Sites

As the title says, it is a nice campground, and we would recommend it to anyone, but actually getting a reservation is difficult. I tried for two years before I finally got a reservation. While we were camping (last weekend in March), I checked again and it was all booked up 😨 all summer, crazy. Primitive sites are easy to reserve, and they are in a nice little holler, that offers plenty of shade from the sun, which will be nice in the summer.

They have nice bathrooms/showers/toilets. Need updated but cleanliness is what matters most. Laundry facilities on site too. Wifi available bc there is no LTE service. We love fishing on Paintsville Lake! The boat dock is just above the playground and basketball/volleyball courts, plus there are plenty of places to fish on the bank. Gorgeous views. The Marina has a restaurant in in, but we didn’t get the chance to try it. There is also a gas station 2-3mins up the road that has firewood and propane. It is 10 mins from town too. It is right on the lake so expect geese poop. And as for doggie poop, they even have poo bag stations set up in several different places! Of course we bring our own, but it’s the first campground I’ve seen offer that.

The RV sites are level with gravel and spaced apart. If you’re thinking about camping here AND can get a reservation, do it.

Still our favorite campground

Always clean sites well spaced out.

Family oriented campground

If you want a place for your kids to play and ride bikes, this is it. Campsites are a little close in some areas but when you are here, you are family!

Lots of space

One of my favorite Ky state campgrounds. Plenty of space between campsites. Just wish they had sewer hookups…

Calm lake experience

Great place for kayaking on a beautiful lake nestled in the mountains of Fayette county