the dyrt
R.D. Bailey Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent R.D. Bailey Lake Camping Reviews
Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

Rugged and Beautiful!!

One of my favorite places to visit, camp, and hike!! Its gorgeous Appalachia with hikes ranging from casual strolls to very difficult. This park offers all of the amenities, full hookup if you want it or primitive tent sites, a nice lodge and restaurant, horseback riding, and zip lines!!! One of the camp hosts, Teddy, was super friendly and helpful with anything we needed. I LOVE The Breaks Park!!!

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

Relaxing area

Plum Orchard Lake is a wildlife management area with rustic tent and camper sites. You do need to obtain a permit from the manager. This is a beautiful area with plenty of fishing and hiking areas within a 20 mile radius or so. The trees are a beautiful array of color - greens, reds and yellows. The lake is good for swimming but you’re welcome to bring your boat, kayak or canoe too. We took a couple day trips around too. We were able to see deer, raccoons and some nice looking birds.

Top of the world

beautiful mountain top camping at Ace! peaceful, spacious and unmatched scenery. hiking trails all over the mountain and a fun water park a the end. waterpark is a bit overpriced but fun none the less.

definitely recommend - shower houses are clean and have good water pressure!

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

Quiet and park-like camping and with many adventures during the day.

The Mountain Top Campground was quite nice. Most of the sites have shade but if it had been crowded there’s a few that don’t have any. The trees were great for hammocks! They have a picnic bench, fire ring and garbage can at each site.

There were six private bathrooms with showers in each, one was handicap accessible. They have an outside “kitchen” sink by bathrooms for filling up water and washing dishes. We brought our own gear but they do have sites with tents already set up.

Lastly, the Adventures they have available are many. The main one is the Lake with multiple giant anchored inflatables to play on for all ages. Others include white water rafting (day trips and overnighters), ziplines, mud course, biking and more.

We had a blast at the lake and rafting! Beautiful area as well.

Fun resort with activities for everyone

Such a fun place to stay! The sites are up on top of a mountain side, so you will need a dependable vehicle to get up to your site. They are nice sites, providing a picnic table and fire ring. Nearby are showers and restrooms. They have individual rooms that can be locked that has the restroom in with the shower stall. Lots of biking and equestrian trails available. On the campground there is disc golf and then a lake for swimming that has the huge inflatable courses on it (think like the game show wipeout) you can buy a day pass for a reasonable price to play on them all day. Through the campground you can go whitewater rafting and zip lining. We had a blast going whitewater rafting. The staff there is so freindly and nice. Hope we get the chance to go again some day! Near by is a beautiful hiking trail that is a must! It's called the Endless Wall Trail, it's a 2.4 mile loop that follows along the New River Gorge about halfway through it is a diamond peak, a spot that offers breath taking views of the Gorge. This trails has lots of lots and stones so make sure you wear proper footwear. Another pretty spot is Canyon Rim Boardwalk, it has lots of steps to get to but it's a very pretty overlook!

Great place for retreat

Just off I-77, but the interstate is barely audible from this great no-frills campground.

Great location

We stayed here in a trailer for 3 nights. The location is great. It is right on the river and is very pretty. You can fish right from your site. The owner is very nice and will go out of her way to help make your stay a good one. It is walking distance from a grocery store which was very convenient. The bathrooms and showers were OK. The site and overall campground was a bit rundown, and needed some maintenance, but the river view made up for it. I would definitely return.

Well maintained, helpful staff, fun activities

My Scout troop has travelled here twice from NJ on the way to Girl Scout Jamboree. We love it here! Great staff, well maintained camping area, lots of amenities, clean facilities (showers with lots of hot water). In the woods, but near enough to civilization (pizza). We will definitely stay here again!

Meadows Campground at Bluestone State Park

Nice shady campsites. Plenty of trees for my hammock! Nice bathhouse. There are 2 hiking trails right there at the campground. Also near the river and the pool!

Great!!

we just used this park for a night stop over on our return trip from SC. Beautiful park.Had water and electric. fairly level gravel sites. Dump site was a little different. Had to make a uturn to get in to dump. I’d like to go back and spend some more time there.

Very nice!

Very nice! In close proximity of hiking, sights, white water rafting, cold beers, food & music!

Tent camped family of 4

We stayed over the Fourth Holiday for our first time at this campground. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. Our site was spacious and shaded. We had just electric hookup for our tent. Park was well kept and clean. Shower houses were well maintained daily throughout the week, however not on weekends when it tends to be most crowded. Shower houses had been recently updated which was nice for a state park. I’ve been to others that were outdated but still clean. They picked up trash daily from the cans that had screw-on lids. Nice outdoor and indooor pools right down the road in the park. Beautiful views. Lots of places to bike ride for my family of young kids (4 & 8). They also had a nicely updated park for the kids to play. My only complaint is that the camp store did not keep their ice cream stocked. When we asked for two days, we were told someone is at the store now or someone will go this evening. We plan to make this our annual Fourth camping spot from now on!

Great place for families.

If you’re looking for a great game park with lots of activities for kids/families, you can‘t go wrong with Pipestem. AmenItIes Include horseback riding, two pools, an r/c car track, aerial tram rIdes, and dIsc golf.

By far my favorite place I've ever stayed at

Kanawha state forest campgrounds are top on my list of where I have stayed in the past. Tucked away in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the constant reminder of wildlife around. I stayed for the very start of spring. The world was covered in the brightest green moss. The state park is not allowed to clear fallen trees unless they are in a road way or hazardous, this left many mossy green logs to lay across the mountains. This time of year was also perfect for the many overlook trails offered. Every single trail was more than what we expected. The staff members were extremely nice and accommodating. As long as you don't mind about being away from your cell reception during your stay, this place is highly recommened

Excellent campground with tons of activities.

From whitewater rafting to the waterpark to their 15+ different adventures, Ace Adventure Resort has it all. The tent campsite I stayed at was out in the open and had no privacy, but the bath house was clean. The small cabins are very nice, with more room than it appears from the outside. The hot tub was a great addition for those cold nights after rafting.

June 25, 2018

Set up in drizzle around 5pm as first night of x country trip. SIte was small, narrow between road and small creek but had electrIc and water. Camp host came by and checked us in and was very nIce. Not bad for an over nIght, and a nIce walk In the woods before we left In the morning. good showers and quIet.

Little Beaver State Park

Little Beaver State Park is a lovely little park just off Interstate 64 between Beckley and White Sulfur Springs. It has 16 sites with water and 30 sites with both electric and water. Some of the sites are pull throughs which could accommodate big rigs. There is a dump station available. There is a very nice shower house as well. Check out the website for more information.

Beautiful park

Absolutely beautiful park. Nice sized campsites. Perfect for tent camping. Good white water rafting w/dam openings daily

Trails: Needs better signage on trail, especially as trails merge. Very steep switchbacks and difficult trails. Trail markers difficult to read or non existent in some spots. Wash outs and downed trees blocking trail common. Seems to be common in VA state parks, most staff had zero knowledge of their trails.

20 minute drive to grocery, restaurants, etc

Great for boating/ kayaking

We took our kayaks up for the day. Regular boats can go fast so it may be a bit much for children or beginners. We also did some hiking trails. Beautiful views. The rocks are gorgeous.

Quiet

It is very quiet and private. My husband and I went there last July for our honeymoon. There are fantastic swimming and fishing spots. If you feel daring you can get your favorite people together and go tubing down the New River. A campers dream.

“The Price is Right!...Come on Down!”

RANGER REVIEW: Primus Trailspork Tritan at Glade Creek Campground, Prince, WV

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

Glade Creek Campground is located off Glade Creek Rd. further down and beyond Grandview Sandbar Campground…and is also part of the New River Gorge National River. https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

During our visit, in early May, it had been and was still experiencing heavy rains and flooding. Even then, it is a beautiful location. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ieJ-SoMxsMc

The Glade Creek Road to the campground is not too bad but there is a narrow one-lane bridge you must cross.

Glade Creek Campground has six (6) walk-in tent sites and five (5) drive in sites inside the loop for tents or medium sized RV/Campers. Keep in mind there is no water available (unless you filter from Glade Creek or the New River, which is sketchy) or electric. The pit latrines are state of the art and newer. Drive-in sites are gravel, fairly level and have picnic tables, lantern poles and fire pits. Walk-in tent sites are sand.

The price can’t be beat-Free! Maximum length of stay is 14 days. There is definitely enough to see and do to fill 14 days! There are no reservations…sites are based on availability…first come, first served.

Glade Creek Trail follows an old RR bed with easy terrain. Being early in the spring, there was still some deadfall across parts of the trail that required some maneuvering and even though it is a raised old narrow gauge RR bed, it still got muddy. Several trails break off Glade Creek trail…and worth taking. https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/glade-creek-trails.htm Kates Falls being one of them. Bikes are permitted on the trails. There are plenty of additional noteworthy trails within a short drive. I always recommend stopping in at the New River Gorge Bridge Visitor’s Center…Rangers are a wealth of information for great local trails.

Home to the wood-warblers… birding is popular. Dedicated photographers were out in the downpour capturing photos of rare plant-life too. Pretty cool stuff.

A great campground to use as your base camp for checking out all the amazing sights in this area.

PRODUCT REVIEW:

Primus Trailspork Tritan

https://primus.us/products/trailspork-tritan?variant=38439223954 Note: This URL does direct you to the product listing. However, the first sentence is incorrect, this Spork model does not fold.

As a Review Ranger for TheDyrt.com I was provided the Primus Trailspork Tritan to test and review.

PROS

•Lightweight 7grams

•BPA-free Tritan

•Durable

•Won’t melt during cooking

•Won’t scratch pots or pans

CONS

•Not rounded enough

•Right edge of spork is sharp for plastic

The Primus Trailspork Tritan is a strong contender for the eating utensil “do all” category. The construction is robust…the girder style handle cutouts lighten it up but it doesn’t weaken the structure any. The cutouts resemble the pot cutouts on their Eta pots.

The “fork” portion works as good as any fork, even with short tines.

The “spoon” portion is where I, personally, see room for improvement. To me, the spoon cup is too deep and narrow, causing the sides to feel high when withdrawing the spork from your mouth. Which accentuates another problem. On the right outside sidewall of the spoon, the outside lip is a beveled edge to mimic a knife or spatula and is rather sharp…which with a shallower depth wouldn’t be an issue (but then the spoon might be ineffectively shallow). But I felt like that beveled edge is slicing my upper lip as I draw the spork out of my mouth. This sensation certainly slowed my eating down (which necessarily a bad thing).

The aforementioned beveled edge worked effectively both as a knife cutting through soft items and also as a spatula when scraping the last remnants of fettuccini from the pot walls.

I liked using the Primus Trailspork Tritan for stirring pot or pan contents without concern of it melting or deforming.

I won’t deny that I may be an oddity, but when camping or backpacking, I prefer using a spoon over a fork or combination.

Final Thoughts

It is very apparent I am not an engineer, nor pretend to be. So take my thoughts with a grain of salt. The Primus Trailspork Tritan is a good product and worth a look.

KSF

I enjoyed our time at KSF but wish the camp sites were ail more secluded. Firewood was a bit more expensive than I would have liked as well.

Epic River Views and Access steps from your campsite!

RANGER REIVEW: PRIMUS 4-SEASON STAINLESS STEEL 0.3L MUG AT GRANDVIEW SANDBAR CAMPGROUND, NEW RIVER GORGE NATIONAL RIVER, WV

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

Grandview Sandbar Campground situated along the New River, just outside of Prince, WV off Route 41 offers upclose and personal riverside camping. https://www.nps.gov/neri/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

This and the other riverside campgrounds in the New River Gorge National River offer a minimal number of sites, no water, no electric, no modern facilities…however, they are free and its all about location. Site availability is first come, first served. Length of stay is limited to 14 days.

On the higher, wooded loop to the right as you travel down a very narrow, serpentine gravel road, there are 10 campsites. There are gravel parking pads that could accommodate a small RV/Camper/Pop-up…and a couple Pop-ups were present. How they navigated the winding steep park gravel road, is a mystery to me…the rains were eroding corners causing my truck to scrape.

The sites do have a picnic table, lantern post and firepit. Depending on thr site you choose, the initial sites to the right are all below the campground roadway you wind down. The pit latrine is a short walking distance and directly next to the host site in the River Access parking lot and boat ramp area.

The 8 tent sites are located on the far side of the boat ramp parking area and all but the two Handicap sites require a short walk to reach.

Numbers are on the lantern posts and blend together but are distinguished by the firepit. These are directly on the sand "beach" area of the New River…and as seen in my photos are not only a bit angled, they can be a dangerous choice.

The two handicap accessible sites are bordered by timbers, leveled and much more desirable, but you must possess a handicap placard/permit. It is not permissible to utilize them as overflow without a placard/permit.

The walk-up tent area has its own pit latrine. Nothing special…but private.

There is a river trail that will take you to Glade Creek and additional trails. Within a short drive are several additional nice hiking trails in the New River Gorge and nearby State parks.

Note: This is a busier campground with the public access boat ramp and very busy on weekends. A very popular spot for locals. While alcohol is prohibited, there was substantial physical evidence to the contrary, mere steps from the dumpster. Also keep in mind, during rains, tributaries flow into the New River causing it to overflow its banks with some regularity in thr spring and early summer.

Spring weekdays still saw several campers, even with the torrential rains and flooding. Free is a big draw.

PRODUCT REVIEW:

PRIMUS 4-SEASON STAINLESS STEEL 0.3L MUG

The Primus 4-Season Stainless Steel 0.3L Mug is a great option for the outdoorsperson searching for a do-all cup.

With it's all stainless steel double wall construction, it offers rust resistance, a clean appearance, the ability to keep contents their desired temperature longer, and remains odorless/tasteless. The mug is lightweight at just under 4 ounces.

The 0.3L/10 oz. mug is convenient and held single servings of beverage and food. However, I might migrate to Primus' other offering in the 0.2L/8 oz. mug for the volume I prefer.

The only potential achilles heel, would be the same with any other mug and that is the handle. Though I experienced no issues and don't foresee any…if there were to be one, it's likely with a mug's handle.

All in all, a great mug choice!

RANGER REVIEW: Primus Trailbottle S/S 1.0 liter at Army Camp Campground, WVk

CAMPGROUND REVIEW: Army Camp Campground, New River Gorge National River, WV

Army Camp Campground, New River Gorge National River, Prince, WV https://www.nps.gov/neri/learn/historyculture/army-camp.htm

If you have never treated yourself to the beautiful diversity of the New River Gorge National River, you are truly missing out!

Rock climbing, mountain biking, whitewater paddling, rafting, hiking, camping, birding?…it’s all here and more. I’ve spent over 150 days camping and hiking in West Virginia n the past four years and keep finding new, wonderful places to enjoy.

There are three very nice, somewhat primitive, free, campgrounds located within six miles of each other right outside Prince, WV. Grandview Sandbar and Glades Creek along one side of the New River and Army Camp across the Rt 41 bridge and downriver.

Note: vitally important to realize there is no running water at any of these campgrounds. You must bring water or filter it from the New River…which I wouldn’t recommend.

Each site has a picnic table, grill, fire pit, dual lantern post and pit latrines. Of the three New River Gorge National River campgrounds in this immediate area, Army Camps pit latrines are maintained but in dire need of paint. Parking and tent pads are gravel…(making tent peg placement laborious). Plenty of hammocking opportunities.

Army Camp is open for day use fishing and picnicking. The campground consists of one small loop with five sites on the outside perimeter and five on the inner perimeter. Scattered mature trees dot the inner circle with open line of sight. Outside perimeter sites are wooded and offer more privacy. Though all sites are separated by 50 ft or more.

Army Camp lies in a narrow river valley between steep, wooded 2500-3200 ft mountains offering spectacular views.

Military history buffs will appreciate the remains of an Army training encampment along the gravel road driving in. Known for equipping soldiers to build floating bridges across rivers to move troops and heavy artillery.

Though all campground trails are short and directly to the edge of the New River…innumerable trails are a short drive away.

Caution: Use extreme prudence if choosing to enter the New River itself. This is an incredibly popular whitewater rafting and paddling river…currents are fast, powerful and dangerous.

At this visit, after a night of rainfall, the New River has swollen beyond its boundaries by 50 feet or more on either shoreline.

Song birds, robins and crows competed vocally during daylight hours. Interesting insects crawled the river’s sandy shore and a brightly colored Eastern box turtle searched for higher-dryer ground. The powerful drone of the New River never subsides.

**When breaking camp, it was noted the New River had encroached another 100ft through the woodland, flowing alongside the campground loop gravel drive…30 ft from our tent pad. Even though it had not rained in 18 hours, the New River continued to swell beyond what I thought probable. Exercise greater wisdom than I did.

Product Review: New Primus Trailbottle S/S 1.0 liter

The new Primus Trailbottle stainless steel line offers a 0.6L, a 1.0L, a vacuum 0.5L, and a vacuum 0.8L. For purposes of this review, I’m putting the 1.0L S/S Trailbottle through its paces. https://primus.us/products/trailbottle-s-s-1-0l?variant=38421366546

The Primus Trailbottle 1.0L comes in four (4) color options: black, red, light green and powder blue. Being on the trail or kayak in direct sunlight, I opted to not pursue the black so I could keep fluids cooler. The added bonus of brighter colors decreases the chances of me losing the bottle.

As a Review Ranger for TheDyrt, these products were provided by Primus https://primus.us/ .

I have been using various Primus stoves for many years with great success while backpacking and paddling, so I look forward to their new innovative and trustworthy products.

The new Primus Trailbottle S/S 1.0L appears larger than it is. I was initially surprised by that illusion and feared it wouldn’t fit in my Gregory Baltoro Sidewinder Bottle holster…but fitment was actually easier than most water bottles. The bottom is a full inch smaller in diameter than the shoulder.

Dimensions:

•Height: 9” Base to Top of cap

•O.D. Base: 10.25”/ O.D. Top: 11.25”

•Weight: 10 grams

Materials:

•18/8 Food Grade stainless steel

•Tritan lid (BPA free)

One clear benefit of the S/S…it doesn’t possess or retain flavors…you get only what put in it.

While the Primus Trailbottle S/S version has lightweight, thin walls that can likely dent with misuse…longevity of use sets this apart from the basic plastic or Lexan bottle. The mouth of the bottle is fairly large, making it easier to fill or add ice. Not being double walled, exterior sides sweat with ice cold beverages, but the painted surface has just enough grip texture not to slip when wet. The temperature of the Trailbottle contents will be felt by your hand.

The screw-on lid has an additional small screw-on tethered cap. Instead of knurling around the sides of both caps, Primus uses a triangle pattern that mimics the cutout pattern on their stove/pot cooking systems Primus states the bottle opening and thread pattern fits some water filtration systems, but not my Katadyn Vario…nor does my Sawyer Mini thread onto the cap, as the threads are located on the inside of the spout..

The rubber lanyard attaches to the small threaded cap by a recessed ring, then snakes through a bar on the larger bottle screw lid and attaches to that lid via a rubber style pop-rivet. Personally, I would not attach the Primus bottle to my pack by this rubber lanyard, but will run some para cord through the integrated bar on the lid…to carabiner to my pack (if I didn’t have a water bottle pocket).

When partaking of its contents through the smaller lid opening, it is like any other solid-sided bottle. However, I found it was much easier pouring Trailbottle contents into a cup than a wide-mouth bottle.

Final Thoughts

I like it’s distinctiveness, versatility and light weight. I’m looking forward to many years of service from the Primus Trailbottle S/S 1.0 liter.