R.D. Bailey Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent R.D. Bailey Lake Camping Reviews
Private and beautiful

We went in the middle of the week, on a Tuesday. It had been raining a lot the days before but did not rain at all the three days we stayed. It was incredibly private, we were the only ones staying overnight. There were some visitors throughout the days, hiking, fishing, and a lot of white water rafters. We stayed at site 7 which was definitely the most private, the only downside being people walking on the trail walk right by your camp, but it wasn’t a very big deal. The second most private campsite was 6

The only downsides were the bathrooms and maybe the train. The bathrooms were a pit latrine, which is private but not necessarily clean or comfortable lol. Also trains would go by every few hours, it didn’t bother us much but it could be annoying to some people. It was also veryyy cold in the mornings but that was due to going in spring. I can’t see it being a problem during the summer

Overall I really enjoyed this campsite, and the seclusion of it. I could see it having a lot more people later in the summer and on less rainy days so I’d recommend getting there early if you want a private site

We stayed a weekend in one of the many cabins at the Campground; pet friendly! The RV/Tent camping sites were closed. Cabin was stocked with minimal kitchen ware, we brought in our groceries, in the town of Hinton there are a couple of grocery stores; so easy access. There was a picnic table and satellite TV; to our surprise. Cabin had a fireplace, two bedrooms and one bath. Very quiet!

Thumbs up and we will likely stay there again, will look into bringing our TT to check out the RV/Tent areas.

Great campsite

It rained the entire time I was there, yet I still enjoyed my stay. Campsite was clean and the other campers were quiet. I spoke to one group who stayed Saturday night only and that was just in passing at the bathroom. Cell reception is scarce, but that's not a problem, just an observation.

Great campsite

Great views over Burkes Garden

We've made this hike several times with our dogs. It is a great shorter hike with great views over Burkes Garden (nicknamed God's Thumbprint). At the top is a clearing where camping is possible. There is a shelter at the top; this location is located along the Appalachian Trail and has wodden bunks and single platforms for pads and sleeping bags. There is also a fire pit located outside the shelter.

If you want peacefulness and beautiful surroundings, then this is it.

We discovered this park summer of 2018 and went back 4 times. This park is geographically in the middle of no where and squeezed in between two states (hence interstate park). Even though it’s in God’s country it’s worth the drive. It’s a quaint park with amazing and friendly staff who pride their jobs and park. It had full hookups for RVs and decent campsite for tents. Bathhouses are clean, the campground is quite and restaurant is clean. There is a small water park for families, nice trails, play grounds, shelters, basketball court, small lake and access to some of the best views in Appalachia. This truly is a hidden gem if you can get past the road to get there. But on a side note for that- they are building a new road to access the park and hopefully it’ll be done soon.

Happy camping.

Free Campground

Free campground. Fire circles. Nice gravel RV spots. 2 accessible sites. Pit toilets. Very close to the New River, nice beach access. No one else was there on our visit in April.

Popular summer camper location.

Lake Stephens Campground is a popular location for residents of Beckley (and surrounding areas) to park their RV’s/campers, for extended periods of time, as an easy getaway. The RV/camper area consists of a large circle of campsites that are very close to each other. The common area in the middle has a playground, restroom/showers, vending machines and some field area to play. The RV area seems to have grown into a very friendly community. They have regularly scheduled events like movie night, and they even host a “trick-or-treat” event each year that attracts hundreds. Amongst other things, the park has picnic areas, a beach with a sectioned off swimming area, a small water park area, and several hiking trails.

Fun Times

This camp ground has a pond with inflatables for fun & a beach area. Everyone has to wear a life jacket which is kind of a pain. The campground is spread around a really big area but it’s very hill-y. Beautiful area. Close to store & restaurants. Staff very friendly. A little pricey but worth it. I’ve stayed here several times & already have a trip booked this summer.

Great for rustic camping

We had a nice site near a stream and close to the bathrooms however, even though the campground is open year round, the bathrooms are not. We were told there was one open bathroom however it was not made clear this was 1-2 miles away which was not exactly convenient. Rustic camping is fine when we have planned for it. Early in the morning (around 7) workers arrived to work on the closed bathrooms for the opening in a few weeks. The website information is not accurate so definitely call (we were told when we called that the website is several years out of date). It seems like it would be great during regular season.

Great Company

This clean and spacious campground lends itself to white water rafting enthusiasts, offering various guided trips down the New and Gauley rivers. The campground has its own hiking/biking trails and zip line canopy tours. It also offers horseback riding and ATV tours. Tent camping is primitive, but the bathhouse is clean and efficient. Luxury cabins, lodges, bunkhouses, and cute Safari tents are available. There is a pool and hot tub near the well equipped gift shop, and the Red Dog Saloon and Grill for when you need a break from camp food. We had a blast on our rafting trip and truly enjoyed our stay.

Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

Rugged and Beautiful!!

One of my favorite places to visit, camp, and hike!! Its gorgeous Appalachia with hikes ranging from casual strolls to very difficult. This park offers all of the amenities, full hookup if you want it or primitive tent sites, a nice lodge and restaurant, horseback riding, and zip lines!!! One of the camp hosts, Teddy, was super friendly and helpful with anything we needed. I LOVE The Breaks Park!!!

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

Relaxing area

Plum Orchard Lake is a wildlife management area with rustic tent and camper sites. You do need to obtain a permit from the manager. This is a beautiful area with plenty of fishing and hiking areas within a 20 mile radius or so. The trees are a beautiful array of color - greens, reds and yellows. The lake is good for swimming but you’re welcome to bring your boat, kayak or canoe too. We took a couple day trips around too. We were able to see deer, raccoons and some nice looking birds.

Top of the world

beautiful mountain top camping at Ace! peaceful, spacious and unmatched scenery. hiking trails all over the mountain and a fun water park a the end. waterpark is a bit overpriced but fun none the less.

definitely recommend - shower houses are clean and have good water pressure!

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

Quiet and park-like camping and with many adventures during the day.

The Mountain Top Campground was quite nice. Most of the sites have shade but if it had been crowded there’s a few that don’t have any. The trees were great for hammocks! They have a picnic bench, fire ring and garbage can at each site.

There were six private bathrooms with showers in each, one was handicap accessible. They have an outside “kitchen” sink by bathrooms for filling up water and washing dishes. We brought our own gear but they do have sites with tents already set up.

Lastly, the Adventures they have available are many. The main one is the Lake with multiple giant anchored inflatables to play on for all ages. Others include white water rafting (day trips and overnighters), ziplines, mud course, biking and more.

We had a blast at the lake and rafting! Beautiful area as well.

Fun resort with activities for everyone

Such a fun place to stay! The sites are up on top of a mountain side, so you will need a dependable vehicle to get up to your site. They are nice sites, providing a picnic table and fire ring. Nearby are showers and restrooms. They have individual rooms that can be locked that has the restroom in with the shower stall. Lots of biking and equestrian trails available. On the campground there is disc golf and then a lake for swimming that has the huge inflatable courses on it (think like the game show wipeout) you can buy a day pass for a reasonable price to play on them all day. Through the campground you can go whitewater rafting and zip lining. We had a blast going whitewater rafting. The staff there is so freindly and nice. Hope we get the chance to go again some day! Near by is a beautiful hiking trail that is a must! It's called the Endless Wall Trail, it's a 2.4 mile loop that follows along the New River Gorge about halfway through it is a diamond peak, a spot that offers breath taking views of the Gorge. This trails has lots of lots and stones so make sure you wear proper footwear. Another pretty spot is Canyon Rim Boardwalk, it has lots of steps to get to but it's a very pretty overlook!

Great place for retreat

Just off I-77, but the interstate is barely audible from this great no-frills campground.

Great location

We stayed here in a trailer for 3 nights. The location is great. It is right on the river and is very pretty. You can fish right from your site. The owner is very nice and will go out of her way to help make your stay a good one. It is walking distance from a grocery store which was very convenient. The bathrooms and showers were OK. The site and overall campground was a bit rundown, and needed some maintenance, but the river view made up for it. I would definitely return.

Well maintained, helpful staff, fun activities

My Scout troop has travelled here twice from NJ on the way to Girl Scout Jamboree. We love it here! Great staff, well maintained camping area, lots of amenities, clean facilities (showers with lots of hot water). In the woods, but near enough to civilization (pizza). We will definitely stay here again!

Meadows Campground at Bluestone State Park

Nice shady campsites. Plenty of trees for my hammock! Nice bathhouse. There are 2 hiking trails right there at the campground. Also near the river and the pool!

Great!!

we just used this park for a night stop over on our return trip from SC. Beautiful park.Had water and electric. fairly level gravel sites. Dump site was a little different. Had to make a uturn to get in to dump. I’d like to go back and spend some more time there.

Very nice!

Very nice! In close proximity of hiking, sights, white water rafting, cold beers, food & music!

Tent camped family of 4

We stayed over the Fourth Holiday for our first time at this campground. I can’t say enough wonderful things about this place. Our site was spacious and shaded. We had just electric hookup for our tent. Park was well kept and clean. Shower houses were well maintained daily throughout the week, however not on weekends when it tends to be most crowded. Shower houses had been recently updated which was nice for a state park. I’ve been to others that were outdated but still clean. They picked up trash daily from the cans that had screw-on lids. Nice outdoor and indooor pools right down the road in the park. Beautiful views. Lots of places to bike ride for my family of young kids (4 & 8). They also had a nicely updated park for the kids to play. My only complaint is that the camp store did not keep their ice cream stocked. When we asked for two days, we were told someone is at the store now or someone will go this evening. We plan to make this our annual Fourth camping spot from now on!

Great place for families.

If you’re looking for a great game park with lots of activities for kids/families, you can‘t go wrong with Pipestem. AmenItIes Include horseback riding, two pools, an r/c car track, aerial tram rIdes, and dIsc golf.