Trout Lake, WASHINGTON

Most Recent Trout Lake Camping Reviews
Beautiful in Snow

Went snowshoe backpacking up to McNeil Point this weekend and camped and showshoe-d around the area for a few days. This area is extremely popular in summer and is along the Timberline Trail, but  during our Late May excursion there was still tons of snow and only saw a few people in the 3 days we were up there.

Views of Hood, Rainier, and and Adams with plenty of nearby meadows and ridges to explore. What else could you ask for?

Nice park

Stayed in July quit park pretty good WiFi

Past It's prime

This is a huge campground with lots of amenities. We came during Memorial Day weekend 2020 and it was hopping. Being one of the only campground open during the COVID-19 pandemic, there are tons of people here looking to get out of quarantine for some fresh air.

We booked three campsites with hookups. When we arrived the three sites combined were the size of two small tent sites. Between the three sites there was only one fire pit and one table.

The problem is that this Campground had been neglected for many years. There roads and campsites are muddy and need to be graveled. We watched our neighbors get stuck trying to park his camper.

The hookups are placed in bad locations and require extensions for both power and water. Many of the GFCI outlets don't work.

This place has a lot of potential. There are two pools a store and playground. All of which are run down. The roads are in desperate need of gravel.

Despite all of the drawbacks it is a beautiful place. I hope they can restore it to back to its prime.

Windy but Beautiful!

Do not fall prey to a river view spot! There are no trees to provide shade or protection from the wind! There are burn marks on my tent from the polls rubbing together. It is also a little weird only being able to access the campground from one side of the 84.

Free and Secluded

This dispersed camping is free, huge bonus in my book. While searching for our perfect spot we did come across a few large parties, making us apprehensive that we would experience our ideal peaceful experience, but we were wrong to be. There were dozens of open sites that we had our pick of. A handful of cars drove by throughout the evening and night, but not an outrageous amount. Pretty dang good for very accessible NF camping spots. There are a good deal of trailheads near by, meaning you're never too far from a pit toilet or a bulletin board with information.

We visited in early September and found the weather to be very pleasant. Our view of Mt. St Helen's was obscured by the tall trees that offered our site seclusion and privacy, but we relished the view of the active volcano while driving to and from our site.

Riverside Beaut

Stayed here a couple times, and I’m sure I’ll be back again. We‘ve snagged “Oak” campsite both times we stayed here, and I can’t imagine a better spot. Super private, sits 10 feet below the campground road so you feel hidden. It’s also huge, and it has its own little trail that leads you down to the river. Sites have picnic tables and fire rings with a built-in cooking/grill spot. I’m not an RVer, but I saw there were water/utility hookups available, as well as garbage dumps. Highly recommended campground for people in the Hood River area.

Great for our big group!

We stay every year in May when when do our annual St. Helens climb. Nice bathrooms with wonderful shower, which we love after the climb. Close to a great restaurant, a bar, a gas station, trails, Yale lake, etc. The new owners are super friends and have done a lot of work on the property to add more sites. I always enjoy my stay there.

Family favorite

My friend showed me this place when I was in middle school and I haven’t stopped going back to it since. I try to keep it low key when people ask me where I camped but I need to stop being selfish lol

Very nice roadside camping spot.

Be prepared for the semi trucks waking you up! So loud! I got a large spot by the stream/river which was very nice and calm. Bugs were not bad.

Wonderful

We went during the week because the weekends are too insanely busy. Loved our walk-in camp spot, had a fabulous time. Our site had easy access to the lake. Vault toilets were very clean. Good hikes nearby. Lots of people enjoying the lake.