Standard (Tent/RV)
Max Length: 55 ft.
Memaloose is located in Oregon
17 Reviews of Memaloose
Hidden gem

This campground is hard to find as it is located through the off ramp rest area - but worth the find. There are trains on one side and the freeway on the other - but lots of spots and beautiful views of the river.

Peaceful white noise

I really liked this campground. My site was right by the entrance with a direct view of I-84 but I didn’t care, the road noise and the train felt peaceful to me. It was HOT, 100 degrees July 19-21 and many sites have no shade from sun or wind so do be aware of that, however, there was a nice breeze and a stillness that was lovely. No bugs. No water access either but I knew that prior to and drove very close by to Mayer State Park to cool off, also checked out Rowena Point. The staff here is friendly and watchful, and as I was alone I felt safe. Mostly older RVers, very quiet campground.

Absolutely Beautiful Spot

Snagged one of the coveted sites overlooking the Columbia River Gorge (A45) at Memaloose.

Pros: THE VIEWS. No filters needed for your photos. Must catch a sunset! Bathroom is clean. Hot showers for $. Water available. Good recycling facilities. Dog friendly.

Cons: Little privacy from other campers. Hard to snag a good site. Campground was fully booked, however the majority of reserved sites went unfilled.

Tips: Know how to set up your tent in the wind. The spot gets some healthy gusts of wind, so come prepared. If you come without a reservation and the campground is full, take a look at the list of incoming reservations for the day to get an idea which of the empty “reserved” sites may be no-shows. The list is published at the pay station.

We had a great time despite the wind

We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into with this site. We wanted to be a little further from Portland in the Columbia River Gorge. We knew that you can't get away from train sounds at any of those sites. We packed our car-camping setup (an old, tall Coleman tent) and set out.  We reserved the site closest to the river (also closest to the train). Our tent was too tall for our site, which had no wind protection. At times, the tent was flat. We had to ask our neighbors uphill if we could move up between their trees to sleep.

So if you camp in the back of your car or have a low tent (or catch a less windy day), maybe this site can be nice. The colors were beautiful, the sightseeing we did nearby was fun. The view from the picnic table was great. The bathrooms were well equipped. But are tent was flat…

Very beautiful peaceful park

We stayed here for eight nights and enjoyed the peacefulness of this park.  The Host/Volunteers are very friendly and keep the park very clean.  There is no direct access to the Columbia River but the views of the river and opposite shore are very pretty.  The interstate is close by, but other than that, it's a beautiful park with mature/older trees and plenty of shade.

Clean and relaxing

Very nice state park. Stayed here for 8 nights. Some interstate noise but didn’t bother me. Little disappointed that there was no direct access to the river. Views of Columbia River were beautiful!! Lot of trees and shade.

Blackberry on the Gorge

I love this campground for its location on the gorge. In the right time of season you’ll find beautiful blackberry bushes in front of your campsite that you can snack on. Beautiful views and wonderful shade in the summer. Great location to head to the local area Town’s and hang out for the afternoon.. I love going into town and watching the kite surfers as well as hang out at the local breweries for a bite to eat and a beer.

Windy but Beautiful!

Do not fall prey to a river view spot! There are no trees to provide shade or protection from the wind! There are burn marks on my tent from the polls rubbing together. It is also a little weird only being able to access the campground from one side of the 84.

Compact & Crowded.... but oh those Columbia Views!

Memaloose is a popular busy Oregon State Park with a compact layout and close together, less than private sites.  Not our ideal campground.  What it does offer to offset the negatives though are beautiful views of the Columbia River and easy access to Hood River and all of its attractions.   We had no reservations on a Sunday in July and lucked out and a pretty decent spot was available, B35, with views of the river.*** I think B33, might be the best spot in the park. For a crowded park, with close together sites, it was surprisingly quiet and we had a great night sleep.

Some sites have beautiful views of the Columbia Rive Gorge.