Mt. Rainier National Park, WASHINGTON
Most Recent Mt. Rainier National Park Camping Reviews
A great area to spend a weekend

There are so many options for campsites here. The description says 15 but I would guess there are hundreds of sites throughout this entire area, you just have to know where to find them. Granted, not all of them are as close to the bathrooms as one may hope.

Definitely bring some jugs of water with you. Most of the sites don't have quick access to water, however the Naches River makes for a good source. I believe recently they started charging per car for people staying at the sites, but it's worth it as they do have forest managers who devote their time to taking care of the area. Dirt bikers of the area tend to take over some sites, so if you are just going there to camp be prepared for the sound of dirt bikes throughout the day

Great with free spots!

You can enter into the park through the gate and camp right on the lake or turn just before the gate and hit some free spots! Best of both worlds! The lake is the perfect swimming temperature during the summer!

Convenient for federal way

Nice little spot, very strict about noise

Great group camp site!

The group site set apart from the rest of the camping, so you can really enjoy the space without feeling like you are bothering the other campers. There's lots of space for tents plus some wooden bunks in a wooden shelter, a nice option for people new to camping who don't have a tent, but I'd be afraid of spiders! :O Site is adjacent to a river access, which I did not get a chance to check out myself, but being near water is always a plus to me.

The campgrounds are about an our of of Seattle, so it's a really nice low-commitment option for those residing in the greater Seattle area. Despite being so close, it doesnt feel very populated or anything like that, nice and woodsy still! :)

The only drawback to the group site is occasionally you'll get a random person wandering through to access the water.

I wouldn't suggest going so late in the year unless you are prepared for rain, it poured on us most of the stay, but we still managed to have fun. Luckily there is a large covered dining area so it's survivable in rain

Beautiful area

Windy Point Campground offers sites that accommodate both tent and RV camping. Drinking water, picnic tables, and vault toilets and firepits are also available in the campground.

Activities that campers can enjoy at this campground are hiking fishing, hunting, horseback riding and mountain biking

There is also white water paddling on the Tieton River Summer camping season is open May 10 through Sept 9 2019.

During the winter months Windy Point offers excellent skiing, snowshoeing and snowmobiling during the winter months. Hikers and backpackers are especially fortunate to have access to a variety of spectacular trails near the campground

This place was amazing

We camped here in July 2018. It was hot but thankfully the Cispus River was a short hike away and we cooled off in that. It is close to the Ape Caves at Mount St. Helens. The sites are pretty secluded. My only complaint would be the bathrooms. We don’t use the bathroom in our tent trailer so we had to use the bathrooms at the campground. They had a pretty strong ammonia smell and people didn’t put the toilet lids back down so there were flies. Great place for kids.

Tent use

Clean public house, power and water access on all sites

This place has gone downhill

We camped here a few times when I was a child as it was great. We did a drive through to scout and it looks like homeless people are perma camped there.

We love Taidnapam

Taidnapam is a great place to bring your kids. There are some great spots to camp on both sides. The bathrooms are kept clean and super warm in the winter. The camp hosts are always very kind and drive by to offer firewood. My kids think it is the best place. They can ride their bikes, play at the park, and see lots of wildlife. Our only complaint would be the water levels being low. The swimming area is non existent.

Nice for camping in the snow.

Good Basecamp spot

The Cascades have so many peaks to climb, glaciers to see, and shorter trails. But you have to get deep into the backcountry before you have access to most of them. Cottonwood is a great place to set up camp for a few nights while you spend the days exploring. I recommend seeing horseshoe basin, and if you’re here in the summer, jump in the river! In the hot months, flies can get pretty bad. (Video is from nearby horseshoe basin)

On the river

Pleasant camping next to the Bumping river. I spent a pleasant night here in a tent. Clean valeted rest rooms with water available. Nice camp hosts in an area with lots to explore.

Great place to play with your toys.

Nice clean park. You get there on a good gravel road. I stayed there with a 27 ft motor home towing my Jeep. It can get a little noisy from the ORV Riggs, but that is what the majority are there for. Bring your toys and join the fun. Great trails for all levels of off road people.

Great National park location

We got a campsite near the back of the campground right next to a trailhead. The spots seemed to be well spread out so we had plenty of privacy. The restrooms were clean and the park rangers were very helpful. Only downfall of being near the trailhead was having backpackers walking through late at night coming back from hikes up the mountain.

Family friendly camping

Well maintained campground in the national park. It is pretty large and the spots are not super private. Some of them are next to the river which is nice. I thought it was a little loud because there were so many people and it’s relatively open in the forest. Had decent bathrooms and good access to easy trails and small swimming spot on the river.

Super fun campground

This campground was very well maintained. It had nice bathrooms and well laid out camp spots. Some are more private and forested and some are more open and on the River. We staid in a forested spot and it was private and very quiet. Also super easy to walk to the river and play.

Meh. Great Day Use Area. Average Campground.

Dash Point State Park is your average, nice Washington State Park, with trees, grass, pathways etc. When we were there at the end of March, only about half the campground was open, and we were able to get a last-minute spot in the late afternoon on a Thursday. Sites are mid-sized, with some having more privacy than others.

Cons: While several other reviews talk of the cleanliness of the campground, we had the opposite experience, with large and small trash everywhere we walked (including a whole foam mattress thrown away). It was also pretty muddy, as well as loud (from the airplanes passing over head until the middle of the night).

Pros: Across the street, the day use area is amazing, with a lovely beach, picnic tables, hikes, etc. Generally a very nice place to spend the day.

Tips: Unless you're there with another group or family, avoid the spots that look like they're parallel on the map (9 & 10; 15 & 16 etc.) since they're basically one big site split up with two driveways right next to one another.

Quiet escape from crowded Rainier

This is a great little campground to head To when Ohanepecosh in Mt Rainier NP is full and you still want to be in the area for local hikes. There is a great watering hole to swim in in the frigid but refreshing river that runs alongside most campsites, accessible from the upper (closed) loop. Some brave souls jump from the rock outcropping though we were not so intrepid. Friendly camp hosts, mostly families in camp made for a nice atmosphere in a lovely setting. Good access to Mt. Rainier hiking trails.

Awesome place to go. Highly recommended for camping or day use.

I love this campground I stayed here to complete a natural resource college assignment and I will return many times. Beautiful and has all the user rentals. Those are cool. I recommend this campground.

Best ever for hiking

This is a favorite campground. The hikes nearby are fantastic in the fall because the foliage is vibrant and changing. Must go on the Lake Ingalls hike. Campground is clean and space is good for sure. Really enjoyed it.

Perfect fall spot!

The colors here in the fall are incredible! Hands down my fave! This campground was great! There is a little mini golf course, which was closed when we went but I’m sure it’s a blast in the summer! The people here were super friendly and helpful! There are restrooms and showers!! Showers are always nice. However, we didn’t stay long enough to need a shower. We just stayed Friday night and then hiked Lake Ingalls Saturday morning. They also have trash bags for sale which I thought was nice. Amazing ice cream shop close by! We came after our hike on Saturday! There are RV spots as well as tent spots. Showers and bathrooms within walking distance. Highly recommend staying here and doing Lake Ingalls. It’s a 9 mile round trip hike, that is beautiful! We wanted to see the larches so we came early fall. We also saw mountain goats which was one of our goals!! No dogs allowed on trail.

Okay campground, good hiking

First time visiting this side of Washington, and the weather definitely disappoint. It was pretty dang hot here in the summer, more of a desert type of feel. We were super worried about rattlesnakes because we heard this part of Washignton has tons during the summer, but luckily we didn't see any. It rained the last day we were here, which was a nice change of weather. The hiking was great, so much beautiful greenery and trees! The campground was "okay." It wasn't really that well kept, a little dirty and no toilet paper in the gross porta-potty style toilet. The toilet area smelt SO bad! It was like it hadn't been clean in a really long time. The campground is fairly small, probably 15 sites? The sites are pretty close together, luckily there was only about 5 other families there when we were there. I wouldn't come back to this campground, but would probably come back to the area to do more hiking. Maybe not in the summer, though, more like the fall.

What a gem!

Pretty cheap and very relaxing with plenty to do. There is an ice cream shop and mini golf really close nearby. The campground bathhouses were really clean and showers had nice hot water. The employees working were very kind to recommend some nice hiking in the area. Would definitely come back again.

Best hike nearby!

Really loved this campground mainly because there is an awesome hike nearby! Stayed at this campground on a Friday night- got into the campsite around 6:30pm. We found our site easily, and set up our tent for the night. There was actually more people than I thought, but it was because it was also hunting season during this time. The hunters were super friendly! We woke up that Saturday morning and did Lake Ingalls for the fall hike. This hike is hands down my favorite in Washington, especially this time of year. The fall colors are perfect. We even saw some mountain goats which was super cool. The hike to the lake does require some path finding, so make sure you know your way. The campground was great, although we didn’t stay long. Just that one night. Would definitely come back again!

Gem!

This is one of my wife and I’s favorite place to come in the summer. We try to come at least once a year. We love it because it’s clean, close to home, and also close to Rainier National Park. Rainier has so many incredible hikes, that we are able to hike different ones every time we go. The campground gets pretty busy in the summer time, so definitely get there early to reserve your spot. The cost is cheap, and if you have a National Park pass then you get a discount which is nice. The vaulted toilets are some what clean, besides the smell. They’ve always had toilet paper in them when we’ve been there. The campground is pretty big, and the spaces are somewhat spread out. Again, all spots in the summer are full so it does get a little crowded and loud at nights. We bring ear plugs and do just fine! The road closes in late fall and winter, so makes sure to schedule this in the summer, you don’t want to miss out!

Wonderful!

Absolutely loved my stay here!! One incredible part about being here is the proximity to Mt. Rainier National Park. We did so many amazing hikes, it was unreal. The weather was perfect so Rainier was out and shinning bright!! The campground was super clean and well put together. Vaulted toilets, that were actually clean but still smelt. Pretty decent size campground, with each campsite separated with trees. It was fairly busy when we went, mostly on the last night because it was Saturday. Campground was easy to find, and the road was passable. Great spot to go in the summer months, but definitely is busy so reserve your spot. Get all the hiking in that you can, because it’s gorgoeus!

Snoqualmie Falls

Snoqualmie Falls is one of Washington States greatest attractions. This waterfall is breath taking. A lodge sits at the top of the waterfall surrounded by beautiful scenery and there is a railroad that passes over the river. This is a great place to hang up the hammock and have lunch while taking in the fresh air.

Best hiking!!

Mount Rainier didn’t disappoint. If you are ever in the edge of whether or not you want to travel to Washington and hike, I highly recommend coming. This campground was in the perfect location, too, for some hiking! The National Park is close by- make sure you have a pass or you can pay $30 at the gate. This $30 allows you 7 consecutive days into the park. We did this and hiked in the park and around the park for 5 days. The views are incredible and Mt. Rainier just glows. We did some sunrise hikes as well as sunset. Recommend!! Very busy- both the campground and the park. We went in the summer and expected it to be busy. The campground was good- typical campground. Good size campsite spaces. Was a little loud but hats only because the campground was at full capacity every night we were there. Bathrooms on site, pretty clean considering outdoor bathrooms. Would definitely come back!

Loved it and the hiking!

Great campground! There is an amazing ice cream shop right down the road, as well as mini golf. We did the mini golf one evening and had ice cream every night we stayed. The campground was really clean, bathrooms clean and also have showers with HOT water!! Surprised by this. The amentities are a little out of date, but everything was clean which was nice. The people working were super nice and helpful. There is also a little shop that have a few things for sale. Room for RV or tent spots. The price was pretty cheap, and was a relaxing getaway. Did some hiking and had a blast. Highly recommend hiking!! Would definitely come back again.

So Great!!

I love the teanaway area because the hiking is incredible! I was able to come stay here in the fall, and hike Lake Ingalls. It was absolutely gorgeous! Hands down the best decision my friends and I have made. The campground was actually somewhat busy. There were quite a few people staying here that were hunting nearby but had this as their base. We thought it would be bare because of the time of year we went, but it was actually busy. Campground was decent- clean and lots of room. One toilet. Bring your own toilet paper because there wasn’t any in the bathroom. Lake Ingalls is a must hike if you are staying here. It was incredible. We saw some mountain goats and the colors were beautiful this time of year. Hike was 9 miles round trip and does require some path finding to the lake. Campground was easy to find and well marked.