Mt. Rainier National Park, WASHINGTON
Camping Washington Mt. Rainier National Park
Most Recent Mt. Rainier National Park Camping Reviews
Great stay

The owner Dwight is awesome and Jessie is fantastic…..Grounds are very nice, looking forward to coming back

Nice secluded campground

I found this campground when I ventured onto a dirt road off the 12, it was just me so it was perfect. Summit creek was flowing good, perfect to dip your feet in, you had to walk down a bit to get to it though. There were a few campsites with tables and fire rings that were nicely spaced out, the outhouse was nice and surprisingly there was still toilet paper 💪🏼 There’s a sign on the outside about it being decommissioned so I just had some lunch, hung out a bit and did some exploring before getting back on the road.

Great experience! Wish I could have stayed longer!

Stayed one night in a cabin and 2 nights in the D loop. The cabin was clean and comfortable. The campsite was spacious enough to set up a canopy and 2 tents comfortably. Bathrooms were clean and conveniently located. Swimming was great!

Really nice campground

I read about this campground on a Facebook post and everyone that had stayed here loved it. We decided to give it a try. We were easily able to make short notice reservations. Even added an additional day after we had been here a couple days without a problem. As another review said, I think it's because the lake level is too low to swim or launch a boat here.

We stayed in an RV. While some sites are better than others, there really aren't any bad sites here. We had full hookups. I think about half the park does. All the sites are nicely spaced apart and we didn't feel cramped at all. There are many large sites.

The campground is very clean and well maintained and all the roads are easy to navigate.

There are a lot of cool places to see that aren't to far from here, so it makes a good place to stay to go exploring.

We will definitely stay here again.

Awesome

We stayed here and loved it the camp sites are awesome. Some have woods between for a little privacy or there is sites in the open. We will be going back.

Secluded legit camping

Way up in Gifford Pinchot forest there’s a backside entrance to twin falls that hasn’t been kept up by the state since the bridge washed out. You’ll have to find it via forest road maps. LOTS of hiking and fall scouting to be had here. Remote access may be limited to road closures or washout. It is possible to get a trailer down there but would likely require some scouting of the road first or have overland setup. Spots or right on the Lewis river.

Up in the mountains on a lake!

Nice lake to swim in or boat. Fishing off docks lots of hiking and biking. Great park. Awesome group sites but haven’t used them yet

Very clean & well maintained!

Runs along a creek that you can here from all sites. Perfect for tent camping. The site offers picnic tables & a triangle shaped fire pit. The fire pits have a grill grate over top of them that we cooked dinner on at night. The facility only offers vault toilets, they were decent. The trash pick up is at the entry which did not smell & was picked up on Friday’s.

We had a few small visitors including a chipmunk & a field mouse.

Going up the mountain we found a really cool meadow & lake.

Bumpy road in, No RV's, Walk in sites only. Nice river access.

I was at Twin Falls Campground for the day (fishing) in July 2019, and stayed here back in June 2018. It's another of the smaller campgrounds with only 5 walk in sites. I usually stay in smaller places or go dispersed style when possible.

It's a bumpy windy road down to the campground. I just drove through here (Aug 7th, 2019) and I wouldn't take a car down to the campground without high clearance.  Didn't need 4WD to get around but the ruts are deep in certain spots. Please don't try to drag a trailer down.

The sites are FREE, which is alway nice, and 1st come 1st serve. The sites are limited in number, but each site is pretty large. The river access is great. The sound is a little loud when sleeping, if you're here when the river is really flowing.

Decent fly fishing in the bend of the Lewis River.

The falls itself is pretty. While not exactly twins, there are 2 waterfalls.

There is a clean vault toilet, but no running water.

Kinda awkward that when parking for day use of the river, you still have to walk through a couple sites to get to the water.

Best site to get away from crowds. Great trout fishing.

Council Lake, WA is one of my favorite organized campgrounds to stay in. It's a bit of a bumpy road in, most cars should be fine, but no rv's or long trailers. There's only 7 sites with 1 being the premium, on top of the hill, with a bit of a lake view. Again it's kinda hilly driving in to the sites, a Toyota Corolla made it through while I was there, but he bottomed out a few times. The flies and mosquitos are kinda bad by the water, but at least bearable in the sites.

The sites are FREE and 1st come 1st serve. The sites are large and have metal fire rings with flip grills.

The trout fishing is good here. Boats are allowed, but electric or hand operated only.

It's a beautiful clear water lake. I saw a river otter basking in the shallows, and several eagles diving for fish while I was here, in July 2019.

Great view of Mt.Adams, quiet with only 5 spaces, lots of flies in summer

I've been to Ollalie Lake Campground several times in the last few years. Most recently in Aug 2019. I like that it's quiet and small, with only 5 spots, and limited day use parking. The cost is $12 a space $6 for additional car, and I think it's 1st come, 1st served, but it seems like the forest service is offering reservations via their website lately. I didn't reserve ahead of time, even mid summer I had a choice of a couple spots. There's a clean vault toilet, but no running water, so be sure to bring enough.

There's trout in the lake for fishing, but I had no luck this time. Boats are allowed, but only hand powered or electric. The lake itself is kinda small, but offers great views of Mt Adams reflecting off the water in the evening.

The campground was clean, but flies and mosquitos can be overwhelming at times.

Fresh squeezed tip:

There's a couple free sites just south of the campground entrance that still offer lake access.

Delightful

This place is exceptional. Disclaimer: We dispersed camp next to this campground. We spent a lot of time in the actual campground though. It has a clean vault toilet for both men and women. There are only a few sites and they are rather close together with little privacy, hence my dispersed camping near by. There is a trailhead (I didn’t investigate it). And there are several little trails down to a most delightful river. The one little spring the campground is named for is really pretty but tiny! The worst part of the area is the man eating flies. They were so think and miserable. Multiple would be biting you at the same time!

Nice campsite

Nice campsite, but didn’t spend too much time there as we were hiking and visiting Mt Rainier and Sunshine Peak. It was very quiet and near a stream which was very peaceful at night

Clean / private / shaded. No water.

Dispersed camping, nice shade under the trees. No water, maybe go down the road to sites on the river.

Decent and beautiful but close to busy road

This is a beautiful campground in the trees that is right outside of Mt Rainier National Park (on the North side). Camp host was very friendly and helpful. Half of the campsites are along a pretty river but the other half are butted up against the busy road so you can hear cars all night. You can make reservations ahead of time online but you can also grab one last minute if there are any available (which we've done twice on a Friday night in the summer). It was a nice stay for one night but if you like seclusion and quiet, get a campsite along the river or go elsewhere. There are decent bathrooms, potable water, and an easy pay station. Each campsite has a fire ring and picnic table. $20/night I believe.

My favorite Park!

This is absolutely my favorite campground at Mt. Rainier. The spacing is great, the bathrooms are adequate (no showers) and the forest is absolutely amazing. This entire campground is wooded so no need to worry about shade but it will probably rain. This is a rather large campground but you should still get reservations. The only complaint I have is the fire ring is odd.

So many choices!

Beautiful spot, blackberries and blueberries were in season and just outside the tent. Nice trails leading to the lake, but noticed in a few spots you were walking through what felt like someone else’s campsite. Flush toilets and running water in a centrally located bathroom. It’s a large campground.

Pretty

Gorgeous park, gorgeous lake. Great for water activities.

Dispersed camping

We stayed here 2 nights and will definitely be coming back. Tons of open sites to choose from right along the river. Designated fire rings but currently there's a burn ban. No vault toilets or picnic tables. Pack it in, pack it out! When we first arrived we spent about 20 minutes cleaning the site we chose after the people whom were here before us. Not such a big deal just a little saddening. #1 rule is to leave no trace. Extremely grateful we get to explore and camp on land that is free. We should all do our part and take care of it.

A little surprising that we had cell phone reception with sprint!

Near this area there are a lot or activities. Biking, hiking, swimming, fishing, kayaking.. to name a few!

Convenient, but not quiet

We were traveling from the Olympic Peninsula to the Tri-Cities and needed to stop for the night when I saw this campground. Because we are somewhat spontaneous travelers, leaving late afternoon, I knew it would be slim pickings for a campsite. But hey, we just have a tent and need a place to put it. After driving down the the not too bad dirt road, we saw the campground was full. Never being afraid to ask a question, we approached the campground host and asked about the unmarked spot near the campground entrance. He said we could have it for the night! Talk about relieved! He was very friendly. Well we set up the tent and got ready to get some sleep when we realized the constant hum was not the river but was I-90. All night long… Probably won’t stay here again unless we have ear plugs. Campground was clean though with nice camping spots.

Loud

This campground sits right off of hwy 12. The sites were a little over grown when we were there. The pit toilets were clean.

Best at Mt Rainier

This campground is by far my favorite in the Mt Rainier region. The spots are level and spaced out nicely. Each site has a fire pit and picnic table. This campground is a great place to base camp for the park. The rangers were friendly. Great campground.

Pretty tight

This is a small campground on the south side of dog lake. The sites are tightly packed but level. A large Rv would have a hard time turning around. There is a pit toilet but no running water. The lake is the highlight at this campground for fishing and a small boat ramp.

Nice forest service camp

This campground is right on the river. The sites were level and plenty of room to spread out. There are pit toilets and a were clean with plenty of tp. It is recommended to reserve on busy holiday weekends.

Not what I was expecting from a KOA

With an Amazon fulfillment center across the street, this is more of an RV Park than a campground. My mind may change tomorrow, but the AC blasting barely drowns out the road noise from 212th. I never lock my trailer doors at a KOA but I feel it’s a necessity here. Maybe the spots further off the road are better but the front row is certainly not top shelf. The gals at the front desk were lovely, but I’m afraid this place has seen better days. Husband says that they are expanding. I sure hope so.

Beautiful old growth forest setting

Very nicely maintained campground. Get your reservations in the winter before your trip. Spots fill up fast. Bathrooms are clean. Tent sites are nice and provide plenty of room. Tent sites aren’t to close to each other but typical for national parks. Highly recommend this camp ground.

Relax while on the edge of paradise.

"Firstly, I just have to say what a positive and amazing experience I had at this campground. The volunteers were friendly, kind and absolutely awesome to interact with. Also, the camp was clean and beautifully laid out. I will definitely be camping here again the next time we go to Washington. I'm definitely impressed with how up to date and organized everything was around here. From the website updates to physical maintenance and upkeep - as close to perfection as we will ever get to as humans. I learned that volunteers are in high demand though so… I know what i want to do next summer!

Best back to nature camping!

Absolutely everything you want, if camping is your thing and not glamping! Has a beautiful lake (Council Lake) full of fish - fresh fish dinner! Also has crawfish everywhere! These are pretty primitive sites, but that's part of the charm! Does have an outhouse type toilet but BYOTP, because you never know ow if or when it's been supplied. Motor boats not allowed! Unless you are camping the same time a youth group is, it is quiet and you can see millions of stars at night! Yellow jackets can be aggressive, so be alert, otherwise, an awesome way to recharge from the concrete jungle.

Great space

Pretty cool lake. We went during a crazy drought so the lake was SUPER low, but folks were still catching fish. The sites are good, got some pull throughs. Pretty good for kids to ride bikes around. Otherwise pretty typical, on the high end.

Great hiking

Ohanapecosh, has lots of great trails for most all ages. We took our kids up to Grove of the Patriarchs which crosses a suspended bridge. It does get a bit busy on this trail though. If you keep hiking further it become a bit more secluded.