Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Mowich Lake Camp

The campground at Mowich Lake is the smallest of the four camping areas within the boundaries of Mount Rainier National Park. The road is unpaved after the first three miles and may be rough. Also, this is a walk-in campground only and fires are not allowed. With all that said, however, it just may be the most pristine and beautiful place to pitch a tent you’ll ever come across, with one of the most magnificent views of the mountain that you’ll find anywhere.

National Park Service
Mowich Lake Camp is located in Washington
4 Reviews of Mowich Lake Camp
Great spot, amazing hiking!

Really loved my stay here. One reason we wanted to stay here was to be close to lots of beautiful hiking near Mt. Rainier. One of the days we went to Sunrise Visitor Center and did a few hikes within the park. It was a blue sky day and Mt. Rainier was shinning! The campground is great. Lots of parking and the campsites are big and clean. 2 pit toilets, but bring your own toilet paper, especially in the summer when it’s super busy. Walk in campground, so get there early to reserve your spot. There is a parking lot where you leave your car, then find your campsite. That was a little odd to me, but it worked out. We also hiked Spray Fall which was gorgeous. Mowich Lake is close by and the water is so clear and beautiful! Definitely nice to have the lake close by to jump in on a hot day! To get to campground you do have to drive on a dirt road for about 10miles. We have a truck so we didn’t have any issues. No cell service which we figured. Either need a discovery Pass or pay $5 for the day. Loved it here!

backpackers paradise

Free camp ground in Mt. Rainier national park. Mostly used by backpackers but car campers are welcome. Spots are very small and there is zero privacy. All sites have bear lockers and picnic tables. 1 Vault toilet. Recycling and trash cans. Trail heads at camp ground going in several directions. We did the spray falls hike as well as tolmie peak. Both hikes are beautiful. About 3 miles each.

Mt. Rainier Views!!

My husband and I just spent a weekend at Mowiche Campground located in Ashford, Washington. We chose this campground because we wanted to be close hikes near Mt. Rainier. Hiking here is incredible, and it was so nice to go out hiking in the morning and having a campsite so come back to. The campsites were a little small so I felt like we were close to our neighbors, but we honestly weren’t at the campground a whole lot other than in the evening and sleeping. It was super busy, but we went in August so we expected it to be busy. We made reservations online which helped because we were guaranteed a spot. Every campsite was filled. I did see some RVs in an area as well. If you are a hiking lover, I would recommend doing Tolmie Peak! This was hands down my favorite. It was about an hour drive from the campsite, but we got up pretty early and we’re back by 1pm. Such amazing views of Mt. Rainier. ALSO, there is an area where you can see Mt. Rainier from the campground.

Lake Mowich

There are 10 spots, first come first serve, they are arranged in a circle above the day use parking lot. You will have to carry your gear up you cannot park next to your site, no fires allowed. Bit of a rough ride to get up there but totally worth it. There are bears! Although I didn’t see one apparently according to our neighbor he walked right behind me. L Really beautiful and kinda eerie crystal clear lake. You are in the middle of nowhere. Get gas before you go up, the town has signs saying last chance for gas and make sure you have everything you need including water because you will be all by yourself and there is nothing out there. Great trails right from site.