Amherst, VIRGINIA

Most Recent Amherst Camping Reviews
Peaceful

Very nice quiet and peaceful campground, Loved falling asleep to the sound of the creek. Campground was very clean and well kept. Just what we were looking for.

Small but amazing

Love this small little place!

Cute Family Campground

Great little campground, close to local breweries. The camp store has sports equipment you can check out (badminton!), and has everything you didn’t know you forgot. They have a pool and VERY clean restrooms. Pet-friendly, sometimes have live music or karaoke. We always enjoyed our stay here. Very nice owners.

Well maintained

The park itself is well maintained. Bath houses were clean. Tent sites are really close together. A little overpriced for what you’re getting compared to other areas in my opinion.

Great stay!

Friendly staff got us in on a very busy weekend! We had a great site on the river. Spaces were small but big enough for all our equipment. They had an awesome pool that was heated, hot tubs, mini golf and good playgrounds. My kids were in heaven. Would recommend to others and stay again if we were in the area.

Great Campground

Plenty of room at each site, great lake for fishing even has a beach in the mountains, clean bathrooms both wooded and open lots. Only negative was no Wifi.

Cabins are nice, tent camping not so much

We’ve been here twice. Once for our anniversary and we stayed in one of the cabins with our dog, and once tent camping. The cabin was reasonably priced and comfortable. They are all grouped together and could be fun for a family reunion or some larger gathering with friends. The tent camping experience was with our kids, and it was a little hard to keep them entertained. The hiking trails were a short distraction, but not long or difficult enough to wear them out.

Great Summer Location

We recently stayed in one of the cottages. The cottage had a basic kitchen with sink, plenty of counter space, mini fridge, and some utensils and dishes. Perfect for the simple life! There were multiple picnic tables out back of the unit with a fire ring and of course lake front not even a stones throw away. The campground has plenty of activities from multiple playgrounds to activities every weekend. They rent golf carts which it great because the place is huge. There is also a very small fishing pond in the campground.

Great Campground

RV section is typical style in a large field. Back in sites for smaller trailers such as our teardrop were plenty big enough but still on the outskirts of the field. Bath house was very clean and very well thought out. Electric sites have 20a, 30a, and 50a hookups so small trailers can use a normal extension cord.

Wonderful Trip

Our site was RIGHT on the river. It was peaceful and private. No water, no electricity available. Not for RVs. There is a railroad track that runs along the James River near the sites, but it never bothered us. Great fishing.

A little additional info from the internet:

BREEDEN BOTTOM CAMPGROUND is located on the James River about 1/4 mile down stream of the Arcadia bridge about 5 mile drive from our canoe livery in Buchanan, VA. It is situated about 6 river miles downstream of our Buchanan based canoe livery location near river mile marker 19. This campground can accommodate both paddle in and drive in campers. Each site is numbered and include a fire ring, picnic table, parking area, and level tent pad. Portable toilets and a dumpster are conveniently located in the center of the campground. Guests will need to bring their own water as no potable water source is provided. $36.00 per site for up to 4 campers.

Another great trip to Sherando Lake!

We had another great trip to Sherando Lake! This is our 4th year camping here and we always look forward to the trip. This year the weather was cooler than it usually is, so we got to enjoy some of the other aspects of the park since it was too cold to swim. We love the hiking here! The trails around the Upper Lake and Lower Lake are favorites. Lookout Rock and Torry Ridge Trails are fun too! The kids enjoyed playing on the playground, skipping rocks, and fishing as well.

The campsites are clean and well kept up. The site we usually get (A-13) is well situated near the bathrooms and showers. Campsite A-12 makes a great buddy site! Such a family-friendly campground.

Coming in the middle of the week is the best time if you like to have peace and quiet and the place all to yourself. Can't wait till next year!

Overnight

We came here because it’s about an hour-and-a-half from home, perfect for an overnight. The photo on the website of our particular site was very deceptive. It looked way more secluded and wooded than it actually was, but it was decent.

Acorn Loop has lake-front sites that I would highly recommend. Sites 4-12 are the best, with #11 being the best best: it’s right on the water but also kind of tucked away a bit. #13 is smack in the middle of the loop, I personally wouldn’t want that site. The sites at the top of the hill, A1, A2, A3, and A15 are right on the road, but there wasn’t much traffic in this particular loop, so it didn’t bother us. A1, A2, and A3 will have people walking by a lot for the bathhouses. I don’t think every loop has one.

The lake itself is very pretty, 40 acres and manmade. We brought innertubes and just floated but we saw people fishing, kayaking, canoeing, stand-up paddle boarding, and paddle boating. There were lots of people fishing, and someone got a catfish and kept it for dinner. 🎣

We drove around and checked out the cabin sites. These cabins are HUGE and really beautiful. They look like they could accommodate over 12 people. There’s also a meeting space/hall that you can book…. would be a great place for reunions, receptions, etc.

Primus CampFire Pot S/S 3L

Last month I received a $50 gift card to Primus Stoves (thanks to Dyrt!) and I got myself this pretty little pot. It’s the 3L stainless steel pot/colander and is a perfect addition to my camping bag 🥣 The handle locks in place which is awesome, especially when you are stashing leftovers in the cooler. It’s also designed to be suspended if needed.

Tonight we made a one-pot meal: spicy chorizo from Pink House Farm, rice and onions, and seasonal veggies (okra, pattypan squash, tomatoes, green peppers) from Phantom Hill Farm.

Good and Basic

Beautiful and Basic. Tent pads looked like cement or sand in the photos but they are soft dirt based. Exceptional Park Service and Camp Guide. Water and toilets were available and clean. The Otter Creek Trail was challenging but definitely doable. Highly recommended for outdoor youth groups that want to unplug and get back to basics.

Fishing right next to your tent

Camping along the river at the Canoe Landing Campground is great in the slower seasons. The sites are pretty close together so I’m sure it would be much more cramped when it’s busy but it’s a beautiful place. And you can fish right off the bank less than 50yards from your tent.

Fishing right next to your tent

Camping along the river is great in the slower seasons. The sites are pretty close together so I’m sure it would be much more cramped when it’s busy but it’s a beautiful place. And you can fish right off the bank less than 50yards from your tent.

Beautiful Bear Creek Lake!

We had a fun camping trip at Bear Creek Lake! We chose a reservable waterview site (#18) and I'm glad we got the one we did! It is not directly on the water, there is a fence around the site and then a short walk to the water. I'm glad we had the beautiful view of the lake while camping, but didn't have to stress about the kids getting in the water the whole time. Note that there is a hiking trail and fishing spot right behind the fence, so people were walking by all the time, but it wasn't too disruptive. The bathrooms are about a 2 minute walk from the site. There is a shortcut through the woods across the street.

There is a great swimming area with a little kids area that was so fun! We did a hike around the whole lake, lots of great views. Looks like it would be awesome for fishing as well!

Just worth a mention that my kids came back with poison ivy everywhere, so watch out for that!

tent in the clouds

Slept at this camping spot passing through on the AT. Site just below the summit. Plenty of soft and level ground to set up your tent. Wish I was able to see the view at sunrise but it was cloudy all morning.

Tent Stay

Definitely recommend!! Used as base camp to sleep and eat. Great vista hike(Humpback Rocks, Spy Rock, Three Ridges) are less than half hour drive. Plenty of other breweries, wineries, distilleries on the Craft Beverage Trail(Route 151).

Great location!

The river sites are the best. This campground has a music festival yearly that highlights local bands and artisans. They also have cornhole tournaments from what I’ve heard. Grounds, pool, bathhouses, laundry, restrooms all well-maintained. Store also has hot coffee and sometimes donuts for those crisp mornings. 💙

The group site, at the top of the hill, is secluded and private. Awesome for a big get-together.

LOCAL TIP: “Smoked” and “Crozet Pizza” and “Fardowners” - all in nearby Crozet, and all amazing.

The owners and staff at the campground and the pizzeria are wonderful 💫

Great Find

Beautiful, out of the way campground. Very quiet and relaxing, which is a huge plus for us. Not noisy or a million golf carts flying around. Lots of older people, that obviously come here a lot or even stay here permanently. You can tell there is definitely a “family” vibe. Super friendly and helpful. More than willing to pitch in if you need it, or if you don’t, lol. Staff is super nice and helpful as well. Have some things to do, this weekend was karaoke on Friday and a band on Saturday. Other activities dispersed as well. Nice pool. Most spaces are roomy, mostly level and well spaced. I’ve seen some though, that make we wonder how someone would be able to get in OR out of there, lol. We once again lucked out with a great semi private, shaded spot. Would definitely and will definitely, come back.

Close to Skydiving!

Have stayed here twice when skydiving at Skydive Shenandoah. I will say the tent sites aren’t super desirable. Not private and gravel. The cabins though - perfect for one or two people, has a fire ring. Both times we had a nice stay, both times in a cabin. Lots of antiquing and flea marketing in the area.

Wonder place.

Had a herd of deer come through in the middle of the night and sniff the tent and grunt! Kids were wonderfully freaked out!

Quiet and Chill

I love state parks for their amenities and well-maintained sites and this one was no different! The drive is really pretty too (some of the photos are the dirt road coming into the park). I imagine the drive to the park would be very slow for RVs or someone pulling a trailer with boats etc.

Quiet, secluded, and super nice

This was an awesome stay. Went with my friends and my sisters and I really loved this place. It wasn’t crowded, the staff was super friendly, and the sites were all reallt nice. There was a campstore, but not much else there besides hiking. Bring you own fire wood because it was like $8.50 per bundle.

Definitely check out sharp top and flat top hikes. Both were beautiful, but slightly difficult so just be prepared. Also bring bug spray because the flies were terrible at the top. There’s a nearby winery too.

Really amazing stay!

Great getaway for the family!

We rented a cabin with fantastic sunset views.  This park has great walking and equine trails, a fantastic visitor center, and a wonderful outdoor park/adventure zone for the kiddos.

First Camping Experience

This is the first place I’ve ever camped. Our grandparents used to take us to this campground when we were kids. I remember swimming to the island in the middle of the lake (still there), and going to church in the amphitheater Sunday mornings. Very clean campground, nice facilities, well-maintained beach, and onsite store near the beach makes this a super convenient campground. I have very fond memories of grilling out around the various grills near the lake 💙 there are also various trails, a favorite being the one that wraps all the way around the lake. Great for families! Nearby hiking offers gorgeous views!

Wonderful!

Such a cool spot. Boats and tubes available for rent at the marina. Great RV sites. Lots of different trails and opportunities for nature hikes. Park puts on a lot of activities as well. We always have a great time here. We usually come in September. The road getting down to the lake area can be a little tight with an RV or boat so just stay mindful of those folks, especially if you’re driving one yourself. 🌀

Great hike

Beautiful hike. We were with a group of 5 kids under 6 years old and we made it to the top huffing and puffing. It was well kept and worth the climb.

Return Camper

Camped here for the second year and it was just as breathtaking. We had site A12 right in front of the bathrooms (great for kids) there is a path through the woods to site A13, so it was great to have the rest of our family at that site. This campground is SO kid friendly. Great Lake, fishing, swimming, and trails.

When I go to set up, the sites are always pristine and beautiful.

Sherando is the campground I suggest first when anyone asks where my favorite place to camp is!