Equestrian
About Kodachrome Basin State Park

Surrounded by some of Utah’s most popular national parks, Kodachrome Basin State Park is a land of redrock cliffs and spires, under wide-open skies, where you can enjoy spectacular canyon country scenery—without the national park crowds. The park derives its peculiar name from the landscape’s striking contrasts in color, which—at the time of its naming in 1949—was synonymous with Kodak’s high-contrast photography film (before digital took over). The park is approximately 160 miles east of St. George, and is sandwiched between Bryce Canyon to the west, and Grand Staircase–Escalante to the east. As with most of Utah’s canyon country destinations, sun and heat are ample, water and shade are scarce, and summer thunderstorms are common.

With 54 drive-in campsites in three small campgrounds, Kodachrome Basin is ideal for RV, trailer and tent campers. Basin Campground is the largest of the three, with 37 standard and full-hookup sites—as well as great views. This location offers water faucets, flush toilets and showers. Bryce View Campground has 11 standard sites with tables, fire rings, and also has impressive views. This campground offers water and vault toilets. The Arch Campground is located on a gravel road and has 6 sites with tables and fire rings. This smaller site has water and vault toilets. RVs and trailers must be under 25 feet to access this location. There is one tent-only group campsite. Seasonal campsite rates range from $20–$30/night; reservations accepted for some sites; generator hours are limited to 12noon – 4pm.

To tour Kodachrome Basin is to travel back in time, as the roots of the park’s sculpted cliffs, pipes and spires are more than 180 million years old. Observing the rock formations’ colorful layers tells a dramatic story of how the land changed over time—including when the area was covered by a vast, inland sea. The best way to see the basin is by taking a hike on one of the park’s five trails. These range from a barrier-free, 0.5-mile interpretive trail to the more moderate—and spectacularly scenic—6-mile Panorama Trail. If you don’t feel like hoofing it yourself, you can let a horse hoof it for you. Red Canyon Trail Rides offers family-friendly guided horseback rides on the Panorama Trail, where you can enjoy the canyon scenery from the comfort of a saddle. Mountain biking and horseback riding is permitted on some trails.

Hike In
Kodachrome Basin State Park is located in Utah
18 Reviews of Kodachrome Basin State Park
All I Have to Say is AMAZING

If you haven’t been to Utah this is the campground to go to! It is absolutely gorgeous! The bathrooms and showers are probably the best I’ve seen in a campsite ever, they are spa like to say the least. The showers have rainfall shower heads and separate hand held shower nozzles. The campground itself is the cleanest we have ever been to and the ranger on site is extremely knowledgeable and friendly. Now let’s talk about the camp sites. We were at site 5 in the Basin. When we drove in to set up camp it was pitch black, there are no lights so bring plenty. The sites are set pretty far apart to where you have privacy as well. Site 5 has trees for shade but there is still sun. The nights get fairly cold so bring items to keep you warm. There is plenty of wildlife in-the campground, with lots of “good looking” spiders that like to come out at night. Fortunately they are more scared of you so if you leave them alone they usually scurry away pretty fast. There are two things to be aware when camping here: the cicadas and gnats. The gnats are awful, we tried just about everything to keep them away but very little helped. Since we weren’t at the camp ground during the day it wasn’t too bad for us, but if you plan on spending time at the site during the day then do some research on how to keep them away. One more thing to add: groceries. There is no local store so you travel to the next town which is fairly pricey. We did our shopping in Cedar City which is about 2 hours away. Our family loved the campground so hopefully yours will too!

Oasis Group Site

Our group of 15 loved the proximity of the campground to newly remodeled rainfall showers. There are paved sidewalks at the site and it was nice to locate the front doors of our tents along this sidewalk. There were ample picnic tables for our group to sit. There was a large grill and separate fire pit for our use. Firewood is available for $5. New laundry facilities was located a short drive from the campsite. We were able to start our laundry, return to our campsite and return to finish it without any worries ($2.50/load). We chose this campground because of it’s close proximity to Bryce NP and the amenities it offers.

Amazing!

Kodachrome was such a great experience! The park was so clean and the bathrooms were so nice very resort like. There's quite a few trails close by, plenty of beautiful scenery all around. I'd definitely recommend this park, cant wait to go back!

Amazing campground!

I camped at Kodachrome for two nights back in October 2018.

I got to the campground at around 8:30pm and it was honestly pretty late and the park was super dark. I spent a little too much time exploring Bryce Canyon NP but good thing Kodachrome was only a 30-min drive from the park.

Since I was traveling by myself, it really gave me the peace of mind knowing that there was still a ranger on site to check me into my campsite.

The campground is located in the heart of some of the most beautiful rock formations. I’m not super into stargazing but I can imagine stargazer fans would definitely enjoy the dark skies here. There’s not too much shade for the campsite but they are far away enough from the others so you get to enjoy a good level of privacy.

I didn’t use the showers but they looked very nice and modern. On the way to the campground, I also noticed a laundromat on site. There’s no cell service here but I also use AT&T and that might be why.

Firewood is sold on site and there’s also water easily accessible.

I would definitely come back to the campground! 👌🏼

Spacious campsites, clean bathrooms, friendly staff

The campsites are very spacious and have trees between sites to feel more secluded from your neighbors.

The bathrooms are extremely clean and updated. Prolly the nicest shower I have ever been in! They keep it clean daily too.

Firewood for purchase 24/7.

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly and came and checked on campers and helped with anything they could.

The campground is close to several trails in the park and is also close to horseback riding trails if you’re interested in that!

They also have a washroom with washers and dryers that are only used by paying campers.

Being at a high elevation, it was great at night to have a cool breeze after a long hot day in the desert.

The campground is away from public and really gives you a great camping feeling.

Loved this place!!

Beautifully Quiet Camping Spot

This is one of our favorite spots to camp in Utah. It's fabulously close to Bryce Canyon NP and a reasonable distance from Zion NP and Grand Staircase Escalante. Kodachrome is also a good destination in itself. Campsites are surrounded on three sides by beautiful cliffs and mountains and there are plenty of trails to hike and explore. We'll be back here again!

Very clean and Remote

This is s very clean and updated campground. If you like a remote campground this is it.

THIS IS AMAZING!!!

It is the number one camp site ever!!! I love seeing the amazing orange landscapes and the sandy nation around me! It gives you a chance to horseback ride and hike, a chance to learn of the anciet life before us and to discover what nature does!

one of best campgrounds I’ve been to!

Very clean, quiet campground hidden outside of Bryce Canyon National Park. 5 stars all around

Spacious sites, extremely nice bathrooms, nice staff.

This campground has nice spacious sites with some trees and a little distance between sites so you don’t feel like you are camping on top of the next campsite. The bathrooms are nicer than motel rooms! The staff are great and friendly. The only negative is if they charge for a second vehicle. Most state parks charge half of the campsite fee, yet this place charges $16 for one extra vehicle per day, and campsites are $20 a site for tent campers. That’s a little extreme but the campground is worth it.