About Lake Whitney State Park

For Lake Whitney camping choose from campsites with water only, water and electricity, or full hookups. We also have screened shelters, many with a lake view.

We offer water activities galore, from fishing and swimming to boating and skiing. On shore, you can explore our trails, see the stars, try geocaching, or set up camp. Rent our group recreation hall or camp for your next gathering.

A wide variety of wildlife lives in the park. Watch for deer, raccoons, snakes, armadillos and opossums. Wild turkeys and bald eagles have also been sighted here.

Lake Whitney State Park is located in Texas
15 Reviews of Lake Whitney State Park
Great for fishing

Great park for fisherman with lots of lake access points and several boat ramps. Tons of camping options, although many are in grassy areas that don’t provide much privacy.

A great place to relax

I stayed at Lake Whitney for a night on my way south from Dallas, so I didn't have much time to spend there.

It was my first time at the park and the rangers were really helpful in helping me to find a site, expecially after I told them I had a hammock with me.

I ended up staying at a screen shelter site with a bunch of trees and a great view of the lake.

The site had a picnic table inside the shelter and outside the shelter. It had a water spigot and a fire ring. The shelter was in good maintance and had light and plugs.

There was a swimming area near by and there were locations around the park for fishing and fish cleaning. There were also a few small trails, but I wasn't able to explore them.

Parts of the park were closed for maintenance and you could see construction in progress.

Over all, it was a great experience and a good place to escape from the world for a bit.

A nice little getaway

My husband and I desperately needed a getaway from our every day lives. We live in Cleburne so Whitney wasn't too far away and we were attracted to the lake's peaceful atmosphere. We arrived around 4:00 on Sunday afternoon, March 13th, got checked in quickly by the friendly staff and got to pick a lovely campsite right on the water. Our campground was water only but that's all we needed. We wished the water spigot was on our site but instead it was located in between ours and the site next to us. That was okay though we didn't need it too often with our trip being so short. There was a lot of rocks on our site…not much grass or dirt, but the view was worth it to me. Restrooms were reasonably close and stayed stocked with soap and toilet paper. Quiet hours were honored which was nice as there were many families camping during our stay. We hiked the Two Bridges Trail and was a nice little trail…clean and easy for us to navigate. We left on the morning of the 15th and had no trouble checking out. Overall, we really enjoyed our trip and look forward to visiting again!

Lake Whitney

This park is a great go-to if you live in Texas – centrally located and quick to access from most major cities. It can get crowded on high weekends in the spring/fall, but there are ample campsites if you plan ahead a bit. Sites 39-46 in the Horseshoe Loop are ideal for quiet spots away from people, but if you want space along the water, Lakeview and Sunset Ridge are the best picks. There are a few short trails in the park but exploring the waterfront can't be beat!

Best kept secret

Incredible park. Large pull through sites and also lots of primitive camping areas. We have stayed here 3 times and each time gets better. Lots of wildlife and good fishing. We highly recommend this park. All pull throughs have large trees for plenty of shade.