Buchanan Dam, TEXAS

Camping Texas Buchanan Dam

Most Recent Buchanan Dam Camping Reviews
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area + The Cave

Enchanted Rock State Natural Area is an excellent park to visit for the day or to camp for a few days. It is family friendly with some easy trails, great views and lots of areas to scramble over rock surfaces.

Book a reservation for a day pass for an overnight stay at least a week in advance or it is very likely that there will be not space and you will be turned away at the gate. Yes, even day passes routinely sell out 3 to 4 days in advance.

Enchanted Rock is a huge monolithic granite rock. Most people simply hike up the rock along the main trail. If you take the main route you will likely be following a line of other hikers until you reach the top. However, if you are a little more adventurous, I recommend that you hike along the Echo Canyon Trail until you see the BIG ROCK - you'll know it when you see it. Then cut through the brush and hike up the steep back side of the rock. You'll be rewarded with a more independent and secluded hike.

Of course the view from the top of the rock is why most people visit the park - it is great. You'll have a 360 degree view of the surrounding area.

At the top of the rock venture toward the collection of boulders. You can scramble on top of the boulders, slide in between the boulders and if you can find the cave, you can immerse yourself within the boulders. You can find the cave by asking someone or looking for the X. Once you find the X you will need to drop down a crevice about 8 feet to enter the depth of the cave. Once you drop down into the crevice you are pretty much committed, because it is a little difficult to exit the crevice. The cave stretches for about 100 yards and takes 30 to 40 minutes to pass through. Once you walk about 20 feet, you’ll be in complete darkness without a light. I recommend that you only enter the cave if you have a headlamp and you secure all of your valuables in a zipped pocket within a backpack. There are sections in the cave where if you drop your light, keys or phone you will not be able to retrieve them. Other than that, have fun walking, crawling and sliding through the cave.

There are walk up campsites on a big open field. On this occasion we stayed at the Moss Lake Primitive Campground. The campsite is nestled amongst a forest. There is plenty of trees and shade to hang a hammock and relax. Texas State Parks require 2 inch tree hugging straps to hang a hammock. There are not facilities at this site, so Leave No Trace principles should be practiced.

2 week stay

Stayed 2 weeks at the end of February. Very clean, well maintained, didn’t feel too crowded on neighbors. Mix of full/long timers and some of us Nomads. A few social events but not a wide variety of activities. Only down-side was the road noise. Only a 2 lane road out front but more noise than expected. And sometimes disturbed the outdoor time. Didn’t hear the noise with the RV all closed up. Liquor store, gas/convince, couple restaurants within walking distance. Small brewery less than a mile down the road.

Hill Country

Most have shade, good fishing, clean restrooms

High country living

This beautiful park is just miles away from my home.

Camping, river play and over 20 geocaching sites make it a great place to wind down.

Had a great stay!

I am new to the rv life and own a used Coleman Bayside pop up camper. I own a business in Austin and love escaping to the woods at the end of the day.

Im wrapping up a 10 day stay at Cedar Breaks Park campground and will return for sure!

Lake Georgetown is the main attraction and is beautiful, quiet & clean.

The park & campground is easy to find and easy for larger or vehicles with travel trailers / campers in tow. Many grocery stores / restaurants / shopping / medical facilities are close by also (within 2-5 miles)

Sites all have 30, 50a and water hookups (im not sure about sewer hookups at sites but they do have a sewer dump station at front of campground) more than adequate restroom & shower facilities located in the center of the campground.

The staff is absolutely amazing, they are friendly, knowledgable and accommodating.

ROOKIE MISTAKE #1 “GET THE AFTER HOURS GATE CODE” After setting up camp the first day, I realized I needed food for Grady (my silver lab) and drove to Walmart. WELL, I didnt pay attention and got locked out. I didnt have the after hours gate code & had to park out front and walk down to my site & wentback up in the morning to get my truck.Not a huge deal, but a lesson I learned lol

1st Review Nailed It

We stayed here the evening of 2/16/20 thanks to location being shared by first reviewer. Great spot as described. We would recommend to anyone needing a free night or two in an old Texas town and would stay here agin. Cool town square and historic jail.

Beautiful views, but here are a few thing you need to know

I went with a buddy and we stayed in site 16 in the primitive walk-in site.  It was a gorgeous site right on the Colorado river.  The thing I didn't realize was that in the primitive walk-in site you are in a field, with not really any privacy from any other campers.  If you are thinking that you will have some foliage separation between sites, you won't.  The other thing that other Texas state parks have that Colorado Bend didn't have was showers and a plumbed bathroom.  They have 1 open air shower but it is closed during the winter season.  The bathroom's are simple outhouses with composing bins.  The shop also doesn't take credit cards, and they don't have the firewood vending machines you can access after hours, so if you come one after the shop closes, you will need to bring your own firewood.  We did the Spicewood Canyon trail that has some amazing views from the top of the ridge.  We hit the last mile of the Lemon Ridge trail that then dumped us on the the river trail that created a nice 6.5 mile loop.  It was a good hike that they have listed as "Challenging" but hasn't bad at all.  The north end of the site has the Waterfalls and from what we were told from some people at a neighboring site, that is were a lot of the day use hikers were.  Overall it was a great camping trip in a gorgeous part of Texas, there were just a few things I wish I had known going into the trip.

Loved it

Loved this spot. As other mentioned, it is primitive but as long as you're cool with that, the owners have a huge property and you can setup wherever you want on it (as long as you don't need water/electrical. We were able to pull out in our van in the middle of the field and get a bit of fast 3g from sprint to work (though it was sparse). 15min away from Enchanted Rock, best spot I know of for climbers sleeping in their vehicle around there. The owners are very nice.

Just about the cheapest camping outside Austin

We arrived in Austin, Texas for the new year and boondocked for a week in a Walmart on 290 in Austin to get some truck repairs done. One week at a Walmart was enough for us, so we looked for some free or cheap campgrounds within an hour of the city.

Spoiler alert: There isn't much.

Most state campgrounds are $24+ per night with per-person daily access fees that ring your nightly rate up to $35+. And all private campgrounds easily are $40 per night unless you opt for a slightly cheaper weekly rate.

Enter Sandy Creek Park in Leander, Texas, about 45 minutes from downtown Austin. The campground is situated on Travis Lake in the hilly country northwest of Austin. The road to get here involves 15-20 minutes of significant up-and-down winding, and there are a good number of cars traveling on the road. Though the speed limit is 15-30 most of the time, there are sports cars and motorcycles that will ride your bumper and look to pass you on the double yellow. I've driven over 25,000 miles in our truck-and-trailer combo this year, and this was among the more winding roads I've been on.

The campground itself has a few U-shaped terraced levels leading down to the boat ramp into Travis Lake, and there's a lot of boater activity. However, the campground itself was empty the entire week we were here with just one other RVer staying a single night. There are no easy turnarounds for larger rigs in this campground, and low-hanging branches provide obstacles for taller rigs. Even our fifth wheel, with a modest 11'10" max height, had a hard time in some spots. Ultimately, we decided to park parallel to the road in one of the more open campsites by the park entrance. When leaving, we elected to back out beyond the entrance before turning up and out of the park.

I'd say our 30' fifth wheel is about the max length recommended in this park. There are no hookups at Sandy Creek Park but there is a dump station, which I included pictures of. However, I didn't attempt to use it for two reasons: (1) a sharp corner entering the U-shaped dump station turnout and (2) low-hanging trees preventing me from swinging my rig wide.

Water is available at several faucets spaced every few campsites, but some of them don't have the traditional grooved fitting to connect your water hose. Filling is also a two-man job as you need to turn and hold to keep water flowing.

Park employees staffed the fee booth for 5 of the 7 days we were here and police patrolled the area a few times per day.

Overall, Sandy Creek Park is a clean campground with a great location right outside Austin for an awesome price(considering the other parks in close proximity). It has everything a camper could need except electric hookups, though the dump station is tough to access for larger rigs.

Might have been the best site we've been in

My wife, kids, dogs and I went out to Inks Lake and we stayed in site 345, in the tent only sites.  It was a great sire that backed right up on the lake.  We had a natural split level site with a clearing towards the lake that allowed us a great spot for me to set up our Bonfire Solo Stove.  There was enough room to set up our Kingdom 6 REI tent, which is a 2 room 6 man tent, along with 2 hammock.  We were on a small loop that allowed our kids (8 and 6) to have some room to roam, and we were just a 50 yard walk from the fishing dock and one of Texas State Parks newly renovated bathrooms.  I would recommend this site and park to anyone.  We were bummed we were able to to down the street to Lonnghorn Cavern, because some bad weather came in and we had too leave early.