Helenwood , TENNESSEE

134 Reviews

Most Recent Helenwood Camping Reviews
First time Staying at a KOA

We picked this stop because it was a halfway point from our trip in Georgia to home in Ohio and it was easy off and on 75. It’s a small campground with only 37 rv sites, a primitive camping section and several small cabins. They offer a pool, dog park, laundry and game room.

It’s very clean and the staff was nice. We got here after hours and they had everything we needed at the check in with our names, site number and directions to our site. They also offer WiFi and cable tv.

There is not much to do in the park itself but it’s quite and close to town.

Compact place

This campground had about 10 sites all very close together except site #1 which was right near the main parking lot the volt toilets stunk bad worse one I’ve been in we stayed for 2 nights and it wasn’t cleaned at all the iron bridge was pretty though!

Not Disappeared camping

My boyfriend and I spent one night there in the flat fork tent campsite where we were only separated by a tiny fence from both people on each side no privacy whatsoever we spent the whole night hearing the father yell at his son maybe 5 feet away the other sites in the loop (closer to the office) were even closer together don’t go here if you like the get away from people because you can’t! Also people had no problem walking through our site!

Royal Blue

North Cumberland/Royal Blue is located a few miles off I-75, and is a good spot for outdoor recreation. This place is a bid draw for ATV’s, and from what I understand they ride up there year round. The area is a WMA, so it’s a good spot for hunting, just make sure to check local regulations, I know they have elk in this area, and quota hunts and such. You can find some great camping spots here, outside of hunting season anyway. The area is large, so you can definitely find a great spot to camp. We chose a spot that someone had used previously and made a fire pit. We were on top of a ridge, and had good cell reception. It was quiet and peaceful. I did take note of several other really good spots too. If you want to escape civilization and enjoy camping for free, this is a good spot.

Quiet and Peaceful

Nice little park with some neat things to see and do. Staff was friendly and helpful. The campground was well kept. Be mindful Of the notice on the website about entering the park via Hwy 52. That’s a legit warning. Thankfully we were aware of that because our GPS tried to take us that way. As mentioned before, it is a small park. Although our campsite was listed as 42 foot in length our TT is 32 feet), my very experienced in driving a trailer husband had to take several attempts to back in due to trees closely lining the road and drop offs on the side of the road. The park employee explained to us that he has mentioned the issue to his supervisor but he is not allowed to remove the trees that block path for backing up. He says most people just “drive over the timbers” where the drive way is. We are rule followers and my husband is meticulous as well, so he’d never do that! The site was very unlevel as well. It was list to have a “slight” grade and I’d beg to differ on that. We were backed up to overhang the site and maxed out our tongue jack and was barely able to get level. All in all, it was a great park and trip, but it’s definitely not made for bigger travel trailers or RVs, and even though it lists it will fit, it might be nearly impossible to make that happen in some situations.

Great Backcountry Camping

A short hike to several backcountry sites. Our original spot was Panther Gap Rockhouse. Unfortunately this site was wet! Everything was wet! There was a fire ring and tables available at this site. But we moved to Tub Springs which was amazing! Very windy but dry! Fireplace, fire pit, bear safe storage container and several tables were available. We will definitely we back to the Tub Springs site again! Note there was no water source available at either locations.

Excellent week

We stayed here as a home base for visiting family in June.

There is little to no cell service in the park. You’re about 10-15 minutes from the grocery store.

The site (7) was spacious (we had a teardrop, shower/changing tent, ground tent, and rooftop tent). Did not have any issues with electric the whole time we were there.

Bathrooms were cleaned and stocked regularly. Staff was super friendly. We rented kayaks to take out on the lake. The rental price was reasonable and the lake was spectacular. There is even a kayak launch under the dock. The playground was great. The creek under the dam was awesome for wading, just look out for snakes.

We didn’t get to hike as we were doing other things but the neighbors told us the trails were well maintained with gorgeous views. The park is huge and would take awhile to fully explore.

The south entrance is a single lane bridge with a sharp turn so longer rigs need to come in on the north end.

Brutal Backcountry

Big Ridge State Park has some great features, like Norris Lake, which is arguably the best lake around this area. Fishing, boating, biking, campground, nature trails, etc. and then there’s the backcountry. If you choose to stay at one of the backcountry sites, heed the warnings, the hike will be tough, and if you take Sharps Station Site, May God have mercy on your soul! Not only is it steep both ways(don’t even know how that’s possible), the trail is overgrown and rough. The campsite is heavily wooded, and perfect for hammocks. The site leads you to believe the site is on the lake, that is false, so if you plan to get water from the lake, be prepared to hike an additional 2.5 miles to get it and back up to the site. The park has some interesting history, and that’s really cool. There’s three backcountry sites that you can reserve, I would try one of the other two, and avoid sharps station.

Great State Park

Cumberland Mountain State Park has everything you need for a great time outdoors. Located near Crossville, the park is close to restaurants, shopping, a winery, and some antique shops too, if you want to venture out. Crossville is on the Cumberland Plateau, and even in the middle of summer, it is very pleasant at night, and even with the park being fully booked, it was so quiet and peaceful! The park has a lake with kayak, canoe, and paddle board rentals, and fishing is allowed. I saw several playgrounds in different areas of the park, and it’s really good for bike riding. The office has any essentials you might need. I had a site in area 3, which has water and electric, it was pretty much level and very spacious. I did make a note that area 1 has full hookups, so I plan to try to get a spot in there next time, even though the spots looked a little smaller. This is a really nice state park.

Will be back

We had a end campsite and loved it. Not many people on our loop. Another one stayed full the entire visit. We hiked to the twin arches and to yahoo falls(recommend both) with children and had a blast. We can’t wait to go back.