Altamont, TENNESSEE
Most Recent Altamont Camping Reviews
Cute Overnight

We used this spot as an overnight stay. They had a lot of things for the kids to do and the grounds were nice. However, it is on a noisy highway so you constantly hear the trucks and cars passing. We had an RV and a tent. They do not allow you to set up the tent on the same site so you have to rent an extra space.

What beauty exists

Such a beautiful park. Spacious sites. Lots of area to roam. Wildlife abundant. Hiking trails. Scenic drives. Lake sports. We will come back.

Great Campground with Marina and amazing water access

Blue Water RV Resort and Marina came to us from someone that had camped there in the past. We are happy we took the advise!  We have stayed twice and have to say each time we enjoyed our stay. The family that owns the campground are there working hard with smiles and always helpful. There are some full timers in the campground andthey were very friendly. Blue Water is dog friendly.  We live on the lake at home and don't take a boat camping, but if we did this would be a great location for the fisherman or boater. Nice marina, great ramp and pull around for vehicles pulling boats.  We love this campground for the closeness to the Smokey Mountains.  We usually stay 4 or so days and spend a couple of those days driving to see all of the amazing views. The fall is a fantastic time to visit.  We have not been in the summer to use the pool but it looks very nice.  The facility has a lodge, pool and pavilion that can be rented for your youth group or company brain storming weekend, seems like a great place for a group of people.  Take a look at the website, very informative with a great video showing all Blue Water RV Resort and Marina have to offer. They even give a fishing report.

Ehhhh

It seems like they just put everyone on top of each other. The spot that I was in was so much of a hill that it took 3 sets of blocks to get everything level.

Love this place.

Very shaded and quiet. Nice store with anything you need. One of my favorite places to go.

Nice

Nice place to stay. Just do not like the minimum night stays for the best spots.

Great Family Campground with Gorgeous Hikes

We stayed in the East Rim Campground on site #63. The campground has clean bathroom and was very family friendly with a playground and little free library. There was a path to take you to a gorgeous lookout and the trail head. This trip we did the waterfall trail which is a 2 mile hike, it hasn’t rained a ton lately so the falls weren’t as flowing as I’m used to them being but still a gorgeous hike! I would recommend this campground if you enjoy hiking, there is also some good mountain biking near by.

Clean, friendly

RV spots are a little uneven, but spacious. Clean park, regular maintenance. No frills, no sewer hookup, but everything else is nice.

Bliss in the Clouds

Loved this campground and enjoyed all the trails…

Primitive Camping At Its Best

I camped at Hammock Sway on Friday night, August 9, 2019. According to the camp owner and host Chris, the camp was one year and ten days old the night I visited. This is a primitive camping experience in the pristine woods of Van Buren County, TN about 20 miles(30 minutes) outside of McMinnville, Tennessee. The campground borders the beautiful Rocky River. The camp is a work in progress, but I’m so glad that I was one of those who found it in its infancy. The campsite I chose is buried in a pine forest. Though I was only 30 minutes away from a large town, I felt like I was a million miles away. I enjoyed watching the moon rise through the pines and catching glimpses of the stars through the treetops. This place is beautiful! Chris is a welcoming and helpful host. When I arrived he greeted me with a smile and handshake. I asked him to hop in my SUV, and he gave me the driving tour of Hammock Sway. He showed me each campsite, described why he had chosen it, and then invited me to choose the one in which I felt most comfortable. The site I chose already has a tent setup and is available for campers to use if needed. The site had a rock fire ring and there was plenty of wood to be gathered and used for a campfire. At the moment, all the sites are primitive, which for me, is exactly how I like to camp. Even if every campsite was filled, I doubt you would be able to hear or see anyone else. This is definitely the place to get away from it all. There’s very little cell service, so you will need to make your phone calls before arriving. You will also want to grab all of your supplies before arriving too(this place is out there.) I did struggle to find the campsite since Rocky River Road wasn’t marked with a road sign, but I use paper maps(Lewis and Clark style), so this might not be an issue for someone with GPS in their car or on their phone. Chris responded promptly to text messages, and he helped me find my way in. At the moment, I would only drive a truck or SUV to this camp. You will need the clearance on some of the roads if you want to drive right up to the campsite, and a car might not work at the moment.  You could always park your car and carry your supplies to the campsite if you're okay with that. There’s room for RVs too if that’s your thing. Overall, this is one of those places that I would go back to over and over again. The price is right and the place is perfect. I look forward to watching this camp grow.

Kids wonderland!

This place is definitely somewhere you wanna bring your kids they would love it! There is a man made beach with a playground and loads of camping lots next to the river!

Beautiful nature walks.

Only been here a couple times when I lived in Chattanooga but I know it has awesome swimming holes, lookouts, and rocks to climb!

Good but could be better

Only one shower per bathroom so be ready to shower at odd times if you stay in a tent. Make sure you call the morning of to make sure there is a spot open before driving down. They don’t do reservations, which I really wish they did. But they will put a cone in your site if you call that morning. They have a swimming area that you can walk to which is nice.

Nice campground!

Pretty good campground. It being located right on the lake makes it easy for us to put on paddle board and kayak into the water. There are 4 sections, 3 with electric and water that fill up pretty fast on the weekends. We just got lucky and were able to get a full week in one campsite. People cancel often so don’t give up hope! Only downside is that everyone is pretty clumped together and only 4 shower/bathrooms in section C making bathroom breaks a bit hard when people are just showering

Super clean

This park is kept up top-notch people all day long going around keeping each site clean as people leave the waterfalls are beautiful 700 steps 1000 foot down into a canyon hiking trails catfish pond great place

Tranquility

Great clean campground with awesome trails and easy access. Love the shade provided by the forest. Clean ablution facilities and friendly staff.

Great location!

Wonderful camping trip with the husband and friends even the pups enjoyed their trip! Had a blast kayaking the river too! Extremely clean and updated bathhouse!

Great Campground for Kayaking and Fishing

My wife and I stayed at this campground while coaching a softball tournament in Chattanooga. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to fish as much as I would like due to our tourney schedule. I did have an opportunity to explore the campground and state park and can’t wait to get back down there. We had to pull our pop-up camper so we stayed in an electric site. The site was an extremely level pull through site. It was a little closer to some other campers than I would typically like but the layout allowed for plenty of privacy. I was a bit frustrated when we had to move from one site to another from Fri-Sat because they supposedly only had our site open for 1 night. We looked on the website and it showed our site open Sat night as well but when we asked at the desk they said it was booked and we had to move. Outside of this inconvenience I have no complaints as far as customer service. The bathrooms were clean and well kept, amenities abundant and plenty to do in this state park. The tent sites were far more private with easy access to the lake. I would recommend this campground but if you would like a waterfront site make sure you book well in advance. They also have an extremely nice, giant swimming pool. This is also a great campground for group camping and be sure to check out renting the Patton Hill sites!

Great place to camp both in tents and or a camper or RV

Sseveral sections to choose from anything from hotel, cabins, tent, camper, or RV sites. Plenty of Hiking trails and a few and swimming spots. Fun for families, friends or couples.

Away from it all

From camping to hiking to kayaking to swimming to horseback riding and treetop adventure this park has it all. We visited in July and the temperature outside was tolerable. We camped in campground A and it was great for family camping. The trails are great. Swimming holes everywhere and the water is refreshingly cold. Saw a lot of baby deer this time of year. It is a bit far (30 minutes) from grocery store so bring enough supplies for your stay. We will come back to this location.

Cloudland Does Not Disappoint

Great campground with easy access to trails.

Breathtaking Views

You cant beat the views at this campground. Several of the sites are right along the water. There is hiking which we didn't do, also a couple places to swim. One of my biggest issues with this campground is the signage, there arent any signs leading you to where the campground is, also the camp site numbers themselves are impossible to see in the dark as they are labeled on the electric posts in black, I had to get out of the vehicle and walk the campground to find our site. Also wish there was a small store or at the very least ice available to purchase. All of this can be purchased at the marina store but it is quite the trek to get there. The sites are also extremely close together. Swimming areas were nice, the campground was clean, restrooms were clean, but far from most camp sites, you need to drive to them. They need another restroom/bath house.

We love Harrison Bay!

Harrison bay is our favorite camping place! However we only stay in campsite A. Some of the other campsites are very loud. Campsite A is very laid back and family friendly! We highly recommend!

Very nice Campground!

Blue water is very nice with a great staff! The only reason for 4 stars is because the lake sites are so high up it’s difficult to actually get to the lake. They do have nice amenities! Would certainly recommend!

Site 87

Not a horrible place to spend the week. A lot of long term older campers on site. Nicely kept. Pool is nice. Interstate noise is annoying

Very nice

Enjoyed this park - very nice. The campsite was very clean and fairly easy to get around. I was pleasantly surprised to see all the play areas in each of the campground groupings.  Very nice setup for kids of all ages. There's a huge pool by the lake that you can pay to swim in (11 feet deep at one end). The staff here is very friendly and helpful.

The one complaint I have with the park in general is lack of informational signs about the waterfalls - no warning that to get to certain waterfalls, involves climbing down/up trails that are nothing more then going up and over wet, slippery rocks (not the crushed gravel kind). I asked about this and they are working on getting more information out for this so that people who have health issues can decide whether to go or not. I did it but certainly wish I hadn't - it wasn't easy for someone who has had multiple knee surgeries and has severe asthma. Beyond more information, it would be nice if the handrail went the full length of the trail vs just half of it - that would help a lot!

All in all - very worth the trip to visit and camp here.

Peaceful and scenic

The walkin sites are amazing here! We had site number 21 and it had plenty of trees to hang our 4 hammocks. The west rim hike was nice and accessible from the campsite. It was in the 90s while we were there, but enjoyable under the shade of the trees. Rangers were super helpful with any questions we had. Bathrooms were ok at the walkin area, but not the best I've seen. The showers were hard to manage for my husband who is 6 ft. He said the shower head was at his chest and the stall was on the small side. Other than that, I have no complaints and would definitely go back.  There were no mosquitoes when we went in July. The crickets are super loud when it gets dark. Drove around the west and east campgrounds too.  The west have more privacy and tree coverage. the east is closer to the falls with less trees and more traffic through. The cabins looked super nice on the east side and the yurts were on the west side of the park. I would totally stay in the walkin sites again.  We also visited nearby Lula Lake while we were there. They have certain weekends when they are open to the public. Hiking trails and more waterfalls to see.

Georgia does it again!

Love this State Park, tons of hiking around and down into the canyon to the falls. Sites were well maintained and the staff was helpful and friendly! We will definitely be returning to this Georgia State Park again!

Beautiful and quiet

Beautiful and quiet campground on Center Hill Lake, but getting down to the lake isn’t real easy. Lots of trees between sites so they are private. Bath houses are super clean. Camped with friends, so it was a little awkward having to go from deck to deck and the fire ring wasn’t situated in an area where you could set out chairs and hang out. We were in sites 16 and 17 and would have liked to have been warned about the steep incline as you pull onto the deck (damaged bumper of rv 😬) All that being said, we were able to book these 2 sites together last minute and had a wonderful time.

Great hiking views!

The West Rim offered a few pull through sites with electric and water hookup as well as back in sites. We were able to walk right into the trails from the campground during the day and enjoy the lightning bug show in the evening!