The best GROUP camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Shadow Wood Camping Reviews
Incredible place to hike

Took my boys after studying the 7 Natural wonders of GA and this gorge is one of them. Did not disappoint. The hike to the bottom is not for the faint of heart. And the steps back up will challenge the most fit among us. But the views and experience is well worth the pain. Campground while being big rig friendly is a little tight ( we have a 42ft motorhome). If your large try to book sites 34 or 35 pull through. No sewers, but easy to use dump station next to the exit. Make sure you add this stop to your Must see list

Great trail, terrible campsite

First off I would say that the Bartram trail is one of my favorite through hikes in the southeast and I actually got engaged on one of the sections. However, this particular site, listed as a campground on the official Bartram trail NC map, is not worth staying at. I looked around and checked the map several times but it is really just a clearing. There is no firepit, no water, and no good flat area for a tent. In a pinch, you could set up a hammock here and camp for the night but my suggestion would be to plan on staying at one of the nearby backcountry sites with a better setup. I have posted reviews of those as well so check them out. If you are still interested I would suggest watching my video first.

Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

Paris mountain is a beautiful setting. Lots of bikers use the park. The campground is nice except lots of the spots are not level. The sites are nice otherwise. Bathhouse is nice and clean. Several easy hiking trails around which we did with our older dogs. They did fine and loved it. No sewer hookup but a dump station available. The area is so beautiful that I would definitely use this park Again.

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

Been here in several seasons.

…each season offers a different experience. We take kayaks in Spring and Summer.

Nice Lake side camp site

We stayed at the campground over the 2020 Labor day week. It was a nice site. Bath houses were decent. Water was located through out the campgrounds. We stayed in the back loop which is more level. Note you do not need to pay the day use fee if you are camping. The camp host actually retrieved our money we put in the envelope when i mentioned it during check in. The trails in the area have been impacted by several storms in the last few years and many of them are blocked by fallen trees.

Nice campgroud, but dated.

This is a nice campground, but seems to be in need of some TLC,  The layout tends to give some sites a very good view and lots of room while others are very close, all have picnic tables and fire rings.  The sites tend to be on the small side also, but there are some suitable for larger rigs and plenty of overflow parking.  Bathrooms, though older, were clean and well maintained. The dump station has only a single drain, so last minute checkout leads to long lines.  Cell service was good as was over the air TV.  We stayed in a 30' motorhome and would not have had room for another vehicle on site.  Some sites have room for a tent, some don't.  We found it to be kind of noisy from traffic over the dam and on the road alongside the campground.

Nice well kept Corp of Engineers campground

This is a typical Corp of Engineers campground, well kept with a variety of pull through and back-in sites.  Sites are 50/30/20 electric with water, picnic table and fire ring.  Many sites have a tent pad, are very level packed gravel/sand and well situated with very few having very close neighbors.  Shade is at a premium on some sites due to cutting of pine trees a couple of years ago but almost all are waterfront with an excellent view.  Some sites have direct access to the water allowing boats right at the site and swimming.  The swimming beach is very nice and well maintained as are the playgrounds.  Three bath houses are convenient to all loops, well maintained and clean.  Cell service is very good as is over the air TV with numerous channels available.  The dump station is easy in/out.  Sites 10 through 40 have awesome views of Lake Hartwell.

Nearby, but not at the top of my go-to places.

Although a nice campground several things turned me off about this campground.  Mainly the lack of enforcement of dogs running loose, owners not cleaning up after their dogs and enforcement of number of people on a site.  The roads into the campground loops are narrow in spots and not well marked at all.  Backing our 30' motorhome into our site required asking the neighbor to move his truck off our site and maneuvering around other vehicles parked in the road.  The site was fairly level and offered a picnic table and fire ring with quite a bit of grassy area. Unfortunately, the neighbor on that side decided it belonged to them and set up games in it, then near dark other people joined them and set up a third tent in that area. Sites are 30/20 electric and water, but there is a dump station.  This has the potential to be a very nice campground, and I'll go back sometime. Perhaps we just had one bad experience so we'll try it again sometime.